AD700 First Impressions
Mar 3, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #121 of 176
Do people on head-fi ever consider price? If 700 is 95 bucks and 900 is, what, 280, then well, arrggh, can't decide. i have no where to hear them-will they make me weep with their gloriousness?!

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #122 of 176
weeping with gloriousness, hmm that depends. If youre more of a bass punch lover then they might be so-so for you. If you appreciate what the ad700s do, then for sure you will weep
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #123 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do people on head-fi ever consider price? If 700 is 95 bucks and 900 is, what, 280, then well, arrggh, can't decide. i have no where to hear them-will they make me weep with their gloriousness?!

When I bought my AD900 it was an easier choice. I got them from AudioCubes in 07 for $229 and at that time I think the AD700s were about $140

It's nice to know my headphones have gone up in value.
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #125 of 176
These being my first open cans, I now understand what people mean when they say airy. The whole frequency range can be heard, but on the lower frequencies, you can hear them, but you don't feel it, like with speakers. The lower frequencies are not muted or muffled as these cans are opened in the back, where with closed cans, the lower range can't escape, sounding more muffled, muddied. These are more favorable of the higher range, though not overbearing in my opinion. Soundstage shines in these cans, listening to "On the Run" Dark Side of the Moon, reminds me of the old days, Luxman cranked and not a care in the world.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #126 of 176
I just ordered a pair of these 'phones this morning! I was reading amazon reviews and was thinking about getting the senn hd595s, but something about them just wasn't sitting right with me for some reason. I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. Then I saw someone refer to the AD700s, and they seemed like they might be better for what I was after (bigger soundstage, more clarity, maybe better for a wider range of music). Then I found this forum and now I'm glad I went with the ATs!
biggrin.gif

One concern I had was the bass, as along with classical jazz and rock I also listen to a lot of downtempo chillout and house sometimes, but I've seen people give positive reviews to the fiiO E5 booster, which seems like it might be a good match with these. My question (as a total headphone amp noob) is what is the difference between using something like that and a DAC? the portability of the E5 is a strong plus, and for $100 headphones it almost seems dumb to spend more if that gives a good sound. How much "better" are you going to get $100 phones, anyway? But just going on sound quality, *is* there a better option? A review I read here between the E5 and a cmoy amp seemed to say there was not much difference between those two at least, and the reviewer actually preferred the E5. But would a more robust amp or DAC give a noticeable improvement? What amping do you use, donunus, as you seem to really like these 'phones?

I can't wait to get these. My only headphones I've had for the past few years are an old pair of sony mdrs, and the foam is really getting trashed on them. I don't use phones a lot but I'm getting into them more lately, and decided I wanted to get some new ones. The AD700s seemed like a good place to start. Glad I found this forum - lots of reading to do!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #127 of 176
Just got mine this morning after reading this thread. Because of all of the hype, I was expecting a lot. I know I shouldn't have because these are only 100.00 phones. I recently bought a pair of dt770/80 as a change of pace from my hd580s, so these would at lest have to be as good as those in order to stay here. Well? Believe the hype these things are amazing for their modest price. Yeah I know that they retail for much more, but I only look at street prices. This is the sound I've been looking for. There is one negative, and it's bass. There actually was more bass than I was expecting. The problem isn't so much the amount of bass, it's the lack of impact and slam. The bass is well defined though. Now I want the ad900. After reading so many comparisons between the ad900s and ad700s, I wonder if the price difference would be worth it. For me, maybe. I would definitely prefer these over my 580s if they could match the impact and slam I get from them. Oh wait, I just got them, so they haven't been burned in yet. So maybe the jury is still out on that. They almost sound good enough to make you forget about the (minor)bass issue. So maybe the upgrade to the 900s isn't worth it. Now I'm all screwed up. This is the first time a pair of cans has done that to me. I guess I'll just stop thinking and just start listening.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #128 of 176
I'm not sure anyone has asked, so I will. How does the AD700 stack up against the K240s. I'd imagine that they are fairly similar, except perhaps for a bit less bass on the K240 (alright, maybe more than a little less). The main thing I want to know is this - is the midrange of the AD700 as good as the K240s?

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #129 of 176
I don't know which 240s you have, but I have the sextetts. To me the ad700s are more refined and much more airy and detailed. I still like them though, but they are not as musical as the 700s imo.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #130 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So maybe the upgrade to the 900s isn't worth it.

Well, I just ordered some ad900s. I'll post a comparison against these ad700s for the people wondering if the differences are enough for them to be worth the upgrade price.

Nestor,
As for the k240s vs these. Its no contest. I prefer these by miles. Whether were talking mids, highs or bass.... k240s or sextett is not even close

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #131 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one negative, and it's bass. There actually was more bass than I was expecting. The problem isn't so much the amount of bass, it's the lack of impact and slam. The bass is well defined though.

The more I read, the more I think I'm going with the E5 for bass enhancement. Supposedly it provides a nice increase even without using the bass boost feature. That should be perfect for portable use, and for only $20, how can you really go wrong? It still keeps the overall cost way lower than a lot of other phones that you'd probably have to pay twice as much for to get comparable performance.

I also ordered a hotaudio USB DAC for desktop use, thinking that will probably increase overall SQ on its own, and then just use a little software EQing if more bass is needed. If not, then throw the E5 on that, too!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #132 of 176
Mine came today, I've been listening since I got home.

First, these are nice cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

From some reviews I read I thought they might be too big for my average/narrow noggin, but they fit perfectly. Only gripes here are 1) maybe a slight bit heavier than I would like, and 2) the very edges of the pads itch a couple spots on my face and neck after a while. Very minor complaint. Mostly I tend to forget I'm even wearing them.

I'm coming from sony mdr-v4s, which are kind of bright and very detailed, very similar to the v6s, so in comparison the AD700s still sound a little dark and slightly veiled to me on some CDs. Years of playing guitar in indie rock bands knocked some sensitivity off my high end, so I tend to like some brightness. But the ATs are not an overly warm phone by any means, and I think I will probably adjust to them after they break in more and I get more used to them.

The soundstage on the other hand is really amazing. The presentation on a lot of things is very 3D, a very "in the music" experience. Whenever I went from the ATs to the sonys, I was like "what happened??"
frown.gif
The soundstage is so much more open, deeper and wider on the AD700s it's not even funny.

I think that, depending on the source, the bass is mostly fine, and is definitely waaay better than I was expecting. As others have pointed out, it just doesn't have that "slam" factor - but it's an open 'phone! Right now I'm listening to Kind of Blue on an old Panasonic SL-S160 PCDP with the XBS (bass boost) engaged, and the bass is near to perfection. Very tight, musical, no boominess or strain -- nice. Maybe I'm just not a bass head, but it sounds great to me.

Before the Miles Davis, I demoed New Order "Republic" on a sony CDP-302II, and that could have used a little bit more low-end enhancement, but it's really a preference call. I definitely didn't experience it as anything overly lacking or missing. Just to verify my impressions, I tested that CD on the panny, and it did fill out a little more, but not to the extent that I really thought the phones sounded crappy without the boost.

Going back before that was XTC Nonsuch -- I find that cd and English Settlement so amazingly well engineered I frequently use them as reference discs. Here it was the same story with the bass -- perfectly adequate imo. But here is where I really thought the mids and highs sounded more veiled and muted than I'm used to. That was the first thing I listened to and was in direct A/B comparison with the sonys so naturally it sounded a bit darker. Still, personally I think I would like to hear a little more "sparkle factor" in that range on the AD700s.

I noticed also on Kind of Blue during some of the sax notes that there is something a bit funky going on in one of the midrange freqs. Can't really pinpoint it yet, it's somewhere probably around 1-3k I think. Nothing major, I heard maybe a little boxiness that stood out at one point. Maybe it was just the note. But overall, I have to say jazz sounds absolutely *amazing* on these headphones. Best genre so far.

I tried listening to some things from my laptop, but my DAC isn't here yet and I couldn't really take too much of it. In general, it all sounded a little flat compared to the better sources, so I think it's not a fair test of the phones. Some really good mp3s sounded okay, I could listen casually to most of it if I had to. I think here the DAC is obviously going to make a huge difference, and then I'll be able to tell if possible a fiio is necessary to fill things out more like with the panny.

I also tested the AD700s straight from a sansui g-4500, and neither bass nor mid/highs were a problem there (to say the least
biggrin.gif
). I had to turn the treble way down, in fact. The bass was full and rich, and that actually describes the AD700s pretty well. I love the sense of depth and openness of these phones, and the sansui's strengths of clarity and power seem to match the AD700s perfectly. They really take power well, and through the sansui I didn't find any distortion whatsoever up to the point where it was too loud for me to go any higher. Not so on the portable, but with the right source, these things are smoooth up to as loud as you can take it.

Well, that turned into more of a lengthy review than I had intended. I hope those initial impressions help add to the info about these phones -- I think they're a really good value. For my preferences, the highs and especially mids could be slightly more pronounced to give less of a veiled sound on some material, and I can see how some people would want more authority in the bass. With the right source though, there is no problem there at all imho. If after a few weeks I find I'm still missing something in the mids, I'll think about checking out something else. But so far I think the strengths of these phones overshadow their weaknesses, especially for the price, and that they're worth giving some time to break in and get adjusted to.

B+/A-
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #133 of 176
How do the AD700's compare to the K240 MKII's in terms of bass?

I currently use the K240 MKII's for Music and Gaming. While I think they are great for music, they just don't cut it for me...mainly due to the lack of bass.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #134 of 176
so i've had these for over a week and they are getting better.

I am truly surprised at how much I love these 'phones. I use an e5 with bass boost and it is perfect!

Now, I'm considering a Zero DAC to get the best out of these guys. I am having trouble justifying $150 more, but I'm so curious. Also, the zero DAC would act as a preamp with SPDIF for use of my MBook Pro as a source for my stereo.

Overall, these are hands down my best spending of $100 on audio gear.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #135 of 176
had these for like 2~3years and still going strong running off pa2v2 for like 1.5 years. just upgraded the amp to headamp pico (amp only) and HOLY $#(*&$@ sounded like a veil has been lifted.

Mids more forward, high end sparkle, soundstage a teenybit wider. bass has a bit more punch, still fast (thats how i like it)

Now, i have been contemplating an upgrade to the ad900s. but ill stick with these for awhile longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back