AD700 First Impressions
Mar 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #91 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kool bubba ice,
They sound great to me even out of my laptops headphone jack so maybe they are just not your cup of tea for music. What my dac does is make the sound more natural. Cymbals become more realistic making cymbal crashes thicker and softer instead of the bright crash with a little digital edge which is great as far as synergy is with these cans. Also, the mids become a little thicker and more subdued with more body to musical instruments on the WE tube instead of being too sharp using the cheap sources. All this is subtle though and i still like their sound out of my ipod and the laptop jack.

Just seems exaggerated and edgy..But I can't get rid of it.. The full bodiness and vertical depth is too impressive. And I just paid 85 shipped.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #93 of 176
Being an open air can, how bad is the sound leakage? Would it bother others in another room? Just be disruptive in the same room? Ten feet away? Five feet? I understand that volume has something to do with this, but I am trying to get an understanding before purchase. What is left of audio stores in my town carry nothing higher than the Audio Technica M30, 40. Other than the disruptive factor, donunus as well as the others, have me sold on these cans, as their praise of them seems like what I have been looking for in a new can.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #95 of 176
Man, listening to certain songs the ad700s remind me of my stax 202. These have less bass and more excitement and soundstage though

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #96 of 176
Did some comparisons with my hd600s for 4 hours and basically I can say that these are slightly recessed in comparison somewhere in the upper low mids but it takes 10 seconds to adjust. Not a lower mid suckout like closed cans. Its actually a pleasant suckout for a lot of music

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #98 of 176
donunus, I see you have the PA2V2. Does that bump up the bass in the AD700? Also, sorry to ask again, but how bad is the leakage, about average does not really help, as I have not heard any open cans.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #99 of 176
i got rid of the pa2v2 years ago. its not a good amp IMO. hmm about the leakage. Its a hard question to answer because I really dont care about those things that much. even at full blast, it doesnt wake my girlfriend up from her sleep so i guess it doesnt really leak that much. The ad2000s were worse

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #100 of 176
Well I have ordered the cans. I understand that the PA2V2 is not high end, but I am using it for portability. That being said, does an amplifier boost the bass in the cans. I am not a bass head but the hours of research I have put in on these cans, the majority say this can is bass light. I do not want bass heavy, but want to hear it in its appropriate amount. Just thinking that amplification would strengthen this weakness.

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #101 of 176
amping will not strengthen bass, only control it. unless we have impedance mismatches or amps that are colored, amps should not change the way headphones sound. get a tube amp(with the right tube) for these with an ipod as a source or a tube dac with a neutral amp like i'm doing it would work too.

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #104 of 176
I will tell you these leak a lot. Not a ton more than other open phones, but if you haven't heard an open phone leak before, you may be in for a surprise. I would say that whatever volume you hear, someone would hear half that if they were sitting next to you. This amount of leakage annoyed my coworkers and my wife.

Just something to think about.

And if you want more bass out of an amp, I would suggest the Fiio E5 which has a built in switchable bass boost. Its a clean boost so it doesn't add any noise and keeps the AD700 bass tight, just gives you more of it. Not enough to make them bassy phones, but it helps.

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #105 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you decide to sell your HD600 because of these phones?

x2 Is that true donunus
biggrin.gif
? Or could it be that you are planning to make funds for the AD900
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh I like your old avatar better
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back