AD700 First Impressions
Jun 21, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #166 of 176
I've been debating this set for a long time, its one of the few sets I've never used.  I was torn between this and the 595 for a mix of accurate pinpoint gaming and rock/metal listening, but Ive a FEW QUESTIONS

How much do the AD700 ( opens ) go for here on head fi?  I see some ebay auctions for 80$ buy it now, but ive not a clue if thats a good price.

If anyone can test out some Guthrie Govan for me on them, please do and tell me the results.  

Would a cmoy Bass Boost 2.02 amp be enough to drive them to a good level?  I listen to mostly rock and metal, I am dying for an open airy and enveloping experience again.  I want big soundstage :[

Lastly, would the lack of sound card (ive a basic onboard card ) still let me pinpoint accurately?  I ask because I gamed with the Sennheiser Mx980 earbuds for a few weeks now and they do the job very well via my speakers alone.  I can still pinpoint very well and accurately, but I was unsure of the AD700 can do the same.  Would it be wiser to use direct connect to my speakers or to the input on the desktop itself then connected to my cmoy.  

thanks for reading
with love, yours truly and 4ever
-swbf2cheater :)

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #167 of 176
How much do the AD700 ( opens ) go for here on head fi?  I see some ebay auctions for 80$ buy it now, but ive not a clue if thats a good price.  - New for 85.00, I bought a used pair for 60.00.  Honestly, I don't see them on sale here too often.

Would a cmoy Bass Boost 2.02 amp be enough to drive them to a good level?  I listen to mostly rock and metal, I am dying for an open airy and enveloping experience again.  I want big soundstage :[  -They are super easy to drive.  I mostly use them with my astro mixamp, but plugging them into my x-fi platinum works fine too.

Lastly, would the lack of sound card (ive a basic onboard card ) still let me pinpoint accurately? No.  In BFBC2, they were terrible running off my onboard audio, IMHO.

I have a pair of DT770's en route.  I cannot wait to compare the two cans.  Damn Head-Fi. :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #168 of 176
Edit:

finally got the ad700s and im stunned and beyond impressed by them.  I just had no clue....

the comfort and size of the stage is insane, i heard and read the reviews on it but never really grasped that it was possible for this to exist for that price.  They are one of the lightest sets ive ever used and immensely comfortable.  That stage is not only wide but tall as well

There really is almost no bass at all and it gets smeared and glitchy on high bass tracks and they are not very clear, but separation and immersion is just awesome and something ive wanted for years.  I just never gave them a chance before.  Awesome gaming headphones too

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #169 of 176
I've got both the AD500s and AD700s. They sound nearly identical to me. I prefer them both over my HD555s.

Whenever I read something about the AD500 vs. AD700 I always think placebo has a lot to do with it. Especially when you see people claiming that the AD700s blow the 500 away and then say "it also just seems better built quality-wise". lol they're exactly the same just different colors.

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #170 of 176
First of all, I'm newbie about cans and sound cards.

I've got AD700. After my old can, I really like it. AD700 is very good for gaming.

My onboard soundcard "Via Vinly Hd Audio VT1828S"  <-- It is terrible after my steelseries 5hv2 usb soundcard. I forgot steelseries 5hv2 usb soundcard at my dormitory. At the moment I'm at hometown without soundcard. My pc's onboard soundcard is not enough for me.

I need good soundcard for fps gaming.

I'm Laptop and PC user. If I find a component for both laptop and computer, it will be awesome. Like usb soundcards. But I'm wondering,  Can usb cards satisfy me for fps gaming? What about Creative X-FI Surround 5.1 Usb?

For gaming, Do I need DAC or Amp ?  or  Do my AD700 need Amp or DAC for better gaming performance?

I'm waiting for your helps for upgrading my setup,

AD700 + Which soundcard?

I've looked these cards,

Asus XONAR DX
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Auzentech ( It doesnt sell in our country so I must buy it from ebay)
Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Usb ( Actually this one is good for me because it can use with laptop and PC but It cant satisfy me for competitive gaming)

Budget ~$150-$170

Most important point, I'm Windows 7 x64 user, I heard creative soundcards have driver issue at windows 7.

Waiting for your opinions?

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #173 of 176

Quote:
First of all, I'm newbie about cans and sound cards.

I've got AD700. After my old can, I really like it. AD700 is very good for gaming.

My onboard soundcard "Via Vinly Hd Audio VT1828S"  <-- It is terrible after my steelseries 5hv2 usb soundcard. I forgot steelseries 5hv2 usb soundcard at my dormitory. At the moment I'm at hometown without soundcard. My pc's onboard soundcard is not enough for me.

I need good soundcard for fps gaming.

I'm Laptop and PC user. If I find a component for both laptop and computer, it will be awesome. Like usb soundcards. But I'm wondering,  Can usb cards satisfy me for fps gaming? What about Creative X-FI Surround 5.1 Usb?

For gaming, Do I need DAC or Amp ?  or  Do my AD700 need Amp or DAC for better gaming performance?

I'm waiting for your helps for upgrading my setup,

AD700 + Which soundcard?

I've looked these cards,

Asus XONAR DX
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Auzentech ( It doesnt sell in our country so I must buy it from ebay)
Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Usb ( Actually this one is good for me because it can use with laptop and PC but It cant satisfy me for competitive gaming)

Budget ~$150-$170

Most important point, I'm Windows 7 x64 user, I heard creative soundcards have driver issue at windows 7.

Waiting for your opinions?

I run an Auzentech x-fi prelude and it powers my AD700s perfectly. There's a little headroom to go louder if I wanted. I'm not sure of the impact a uDAC would have on gaming, but it would definitely be my choice for listening to music since it can easily swap to a laptop and back to a desktop. I will say this: I NEVER use x-fi or 5.1/7.1 with headphones. Even Dolby digital is a wasted feature for me. The only thing you will be using is bit-matched playback if you want the highest quality. Of course, for gaming that may be different. Some soundcards (Auzentech Forte, good luck getting one) have built in headphone amps.

E-Mu has a good line of cards http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=9872&nav=introduction
this one even has 1/4 output jack.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #174 of 176
I made the misstake to go to Mediamarkt today on their after christmas sale. Guess what they had Audio-Technicas. Not used to that in this part of the world. Got to listen to it on some onkyo CD-player/rega ear system and the Ultrasone test CD... The seller actually seemed to know his area. AD700 and A900 was the most expensive they could bring in that they could hope to sale. Though you could order most if not all Audio Technica headphones it seemed like. Hoped to be able to hear the M50 as well but they didn´t have that one.

Focused mostly on the AD700 and A900 and I liked the AD700 a bit better. As the name suggested it simply has more air and wasn´t really lacking much in bass in comparison to the A900. I have always wanted to try out audio technicas a bit more.  They certainly do have a mid bass punch both on their system and my system at home not that far away from the LCD-2 in that regard. Maybe lacking in sub bass but listening to  Also Sprach Zarathrusta it is still very dramatic on the AD700 and what it may lack in bass impact it take back in treble sparkle in spades :wink:. Often borderline what my ears can tolerate but have yet to pass the threshold where it gets painful. I haven´t measured with SPL yet I suspect I listen to perhaps 95 db peaks max.  

Having a weak mind and really liking what I heard I ended walking home with an AD700. I am already confident I will get much more enjoyment out of these then from the K701 and HD 650 and perhaps also the 435S. Soundstage generally takes time for me but I already like what I get out of the AD700 here.  I suspect I will use this on my tube more often then not though it wasn´t bad out of my GHP either. 

What doesn´t impress is the design. What where they thinking with this one size fits all approach? Kind of a russian roulette. the A900 actually fitted my head much better then the AD700. As did the ATH-A900 from what I recall. Nudge them and they fall off but if you don´t nudge them they do stick. There is no head clamp whatsoever. It´s the first headphone I sometimes forget to remove my glasses with. They aren´t uncomfortable more then that they have a weird fit and it feels like you are not wearing them optimally. I tried the rubber band mod but still the ear pads doesn´t lie flat on my head. They rest on the lower parts. I do seem to get a proper seal though despite this. Also how durable is the ear pad material? It already looked a bit used on the demo ex and they have only had audio technicas for less than a month I want to recall? Also  I don´t really understand why they went with this really ugly grill design? They could make it better looking without spending more money on it I feel.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #175 of 176
A few days in. Definiatly a keeper. It´s somewhat of a Pro 750/SA5000 hybrid. clear sound but not cold like the SA5000 and less bassy and very airy without being overly bright. Optimal for TV and also very capable for movie watching. Do music well also though it´s not a threat to the ED 8 or LCD-2 overall. However I can´t ask much more out of 150$ headphones surely. Has a very lively sound and never sound over damped to these ears. It complement my other headphones greatly.  Listening to headphones for longer period can sometimes be daunting but these is almost as liberating as going to my speakers. Despite not being quite as natural or neutral as the LCD-2 in particular. As for bass they are lacking a bit of bass drive. Will see what happens with EQ but so far I am quite settled with having the LCD-2 and ED 8 at hand for music that needs more energy down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back