AD700 First Impressions
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #136 of 176
I hate you guys for making me buy these. 5-9 days of shipping, as my amazon prime membership just lapsed and I'm not paying $75 for it again.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #137 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate you guys for making me buy these. 5-9 days of shipping, as my amazon prime membership just lapsed and I'm not paying $75 for it again.

The one problem with these headphones is that as soon as you get them and start listening to them for while, you start wondering, "if these sound so good, how much better must the AD900s be?"
atsmile.gif

That's where I am now. I originally budgeted about $150-175 for phones and was really happy to find these for $100. Now I'm considering doubling the budget because, as hard as it is to believe, the 900s are supposedly better in every way.

Sometimes I wish I had never found this forum. :-o

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #138 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'm considering doubling the budget because, as hard as it is to believe, the 900s are supposedly better in every way.

It's up to each person to find a place to stop. If you get both the 700 and the 900, you may find that "supposedly better in every way" doesn't mean "worth $200 more to me". YMMV. Personally, I'm sticking with the 700 for the time being.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #140 of 176
By the way, the bass is getting more balanced after more burn in. I dont think its mental because I just switched from my sr60s using flats which were much bassier before. Now they are only muffled and useless in comparison. They are still useful for the occasional busrides though. The extra bass is needed to drown out engine noise. I like using them more than closed cans too because I can just hit pause on my portable for PTT feature instead of having to take the cans off

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #142 of 176
The bass just seems to be getting more integrated. Very small improvement of snap and focus that just makes the cans more coherent sounding

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #143 of 176
The phones are certainly balanced to my ears; the K701 seems to have significant highs and lows but not so much in between. The AD700, in comparison, doesn't emphasize the highs as much, but sounds more consistent across the board.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #144 of 176
the ad700s definitely do not emphasize the highs(specifically the lower highs) as much as the k701s but they do have more sizzle above 10khz which is actually pleasant and sparkling compared to the k701s which are rolled of above 10khz to my ears

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #145 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, the bass is getting more balanced after more burn in. I dont think its mental because I just switched from my sr60s using flats which were much bassier before.

whoops, now that ive adjusted longer, I'm thinking there is a chance it was just my imagination that there is more bass on the ad700s now
biggrin.gif
The sr60s/flats were just so muffled compared to these that the extra bass definition must have made me think the bass on these were increasing.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #146 of 176
Quote:

the ad700s definitely do not emphasize the highs(specifically the lower highs) as much as the k701s but they do have more sizzle above 10khz which is actually pleasant and sparkling compared to the k701s which are rolled of above 10khz to my ears

I'd have to agree with that regarding the 700s. There is a really nice presence in the upper ranges that is not too much to make it sibilant or hissy. I think lucky is also right that overall it is a pretty balanced sound.

The one thing I think I'm missing on the 700s is just wanting a little more midrange, which supposedly the 900 provides. If so, that would be near a perfect sound for me. But I've also heard the 900 has a lesser or even "weird" soundstage, which would be hard to give up on the 700s. So it's a tough call whether to shell out for the 900s. Will have to check amazon's return policies.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #148 of 176
Quote:

i'll chime in to answer you questions when i get the ad900s next week

Excellent! Didn't know you had ordered those. thanks, can't wait to hear your impressions.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #149 of 176
Quote:

By the way, the bass is getting more balanced after more burn in. I dont think its mental because I just switched from my sr60s using flats which were much bassier before. Now they are only muffled and useless in comparison. They are still useful for the occasional busrides though. The extra bass is needed to drown out engine noise. I like using them more than closed cans too because I can just hit pause on my portable for PTT feature instead of having to take the cans off

I love my AD700, and after some use, the bass is much more what i want it to be, and still i bought some AH-D1001 since the "am i supposed to hear them in the kitchen" of open cans just doesn't always work.
For my headphone amp i also seem to have found the opamps that work best for me for my AD700, skimming through this thread i am eager to hear AD900 impressions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back