A little more mids than the M50s, in the same price range? (Maybe $180)
Jun 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BattlefieldCat

Previously known as abraham_tek
Hey everyone.

I own the M50s (Audio Technica, for those who don't know lol), and I think they are great headphones.

Now, back in 2010 when they were $100, they were for sure the best headphones in the price range, no questions asked.

Now that they are a little more expensive, there is the Shure SRH 840s, there's the Beyerdynamic DT770s which I've also seen on this forum.

The thing is, I do notice just a little recession in the mids area on the M50s. I LOVE the bass and trebles to death, they are accurate and not too bummy or too crispy or annoying in any way.

Now, are there headphones that improve this a little in this area? I'm ready to go to the next level with my headphones. I see the Beyerdynamics and the Shures all around the place.

If there are other options available, that's fine too. I want yall's opinion!!

Thanks in advance.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 15
Ultrasone HFI-580's.

In my opinion, better in every way than the M50's.

If you want something completely different, as far as sound signature goes, the AKG K271's are pretty excellent. Very, very nice mids, with great, non-fatiguing treble. They definitely have less bass than the M50's though.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 15
The V-Moda M80 are amazingly detailed in mids, highs with tight punchy bass(highly recommended). The other headphones like Sony ZX700, Marshal Major, Sennheiser HD25II and Shure SRH940 are also very good buy.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 15
The DJ100 has more forward mids than the M50, maybe 5% less bass overall and smoother treble.
I don't consider either of them very flat, but the DJ100 to my ears (and with a good amp) is quite balanced sounding. It's very fun and engaging with most all music.

I consider the Koss Pro DJ100 to be at the same level as the M50, SRH-840 and several others. It used to be $80, but now it's selling for $55.

You can even use M50 pads on the DJ100!

I originally owned the SRH-940, but sidegraded to the M50 due to comfort issues. When I started getting annoyed with the M50's mids I switched to the DJ100. I've used them since 2010 and never get sick of them.

I had the old M50 which has less treble and more bloated bass than the white boxed version. The newer version is a little bit better.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I own the M50s (Audio Technica, for those who don't know lol), and I think they are great headphones.

Now, back in 2010 when they were $100, they were for sure the best headphones in the price range, no questions asked.

Now that they are a little more expensive, there is the Shure SRH 840s, there's the Beyerdynamic DT770s which I've also seen on this forum.

The thing is, I do notice just a little recession in the mids area on the M50s. I LOVE the bass and trebles to death, they are accurate and not too bummy or too crispy or annoying in any way.

Now, are there headphones that improve this a little in this area? I'm ready to go to the next level with my headphones. I see the Beyerdynamics and the Shures all around the place.

If there are other options available, that's fine too. I want yall's opinion!!

Thanks in advance.

To be honest, I find the M50s to have bloated bass that interfere in the other ranges and their treble is a bit mediocre, though as you said, they are a bargain for 100 dollars. The Shure SRH 840s are at a similar level, so if you're looking for an upgrade, I wouldn't bother. Are you looking for something portable? Something with a closed design? 

From what I've heard, the V-Moda sounds decent in all areas of the sound spectrum, especially for a closed on-ear design. And it has many great qualities as well: exoskeleton case, useful cables, phenomenal durability, etc. Beyerdynamics are very detailed but with an annoying treble imo. The bass is strong but not nearly as prominent as the treble, making it somewhat absent-feeling in comparison. 

Denon AH-D2000 and AKG Q701s are worth looking into. The former does have recessed midrange and the latter requires a great amp to drive them however. And the bass on the Q701s are a bit lacking in quantity, and with an unnatural sound stage. My favorite headphone under 500 dollars is the HD 598 by Sennheiser. Not too fast yet not too slow. Soundstage is absolutely phenomenal (one of the best under 1000 dollars) and its midrange is what many would consider to be in the top 5 out of any headphones, regardless of price. Its bass might be a problem if you are a basshead. However, this can all be all relative. Someone who switched from an AD 700 to the HD 598 once claimed that the latter had too much bass. It's all relative and what your brain is used to hearing. The HD 598 also has a nice unfatiguing treble. It's a very Sennheiser-like sound - unfatiguing, smooth, balanced - but maintains some brightness for excitement, which is a bit unusual in Sennheiser models. Look up the "jack-of-all-trades" on this forum. That will explain the capabilities of this headphone well. 

Sony has some decent headphones under 200 dollars as well. Worth looking into. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 15
There's a small increase on the mids going from the M50's to HFI-580. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
The HD 598 also has a nice unfatiguing treble. It's a very Sennheiser-like sound - unfatiguing, smooth, balanced - but maintains some brightness for excitement, which is a bit unusual in Sennheiser models. Look up the "jack-of-all-trades" on this forum. That will explain the capabilities of this headphone well.   

What is your recommendation for a closed headphone with good isolation which have the unfatiguing, smooth, balanced characteristic?

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 15
I've only heard the SRH840, DT770 & HD25 and the SRH840 by far have the most balanced mids (one area where I think Shure excels).  They slightly emphasize the mid-bass and some people thought that they have too little treble.  On the other hand DT770 were all bass and treble and HD 25 sounded like they lack upper mids and highs.  DT770 did have more soundstage than SRH840, and HD25 are even more 2 dimensional imo.  

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

What is your recommendation for a closed headphone with good isolation which have the unfatiguing, smooth, balanced characteristic?

That's quite hard to recommend. Usually closed headphones in general do not have a very balanced sound. Even the best of the closed headphones, such as the Denons, are considered semi-open. V-Moda has a pretty balanced sound (though with some flaws in each range of the spectrum) and "okay" isolation. I never listened to the AKG K550 but apparently it is a "jack-of-all-trades" kind of phone for the closed design. Very good isolation and yet maintains high quality sound. Look at InnerFidelity's review. It's pretty expensive however. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
To be honest, I find the M50s to have bloated bass that interfere in the other ranges and their treble is a bit mediocre, though as you said, they are a bargain for 100 dollars. The Shure SRH 840s are at a similar level, so if you're looking for an upgrade, I wouldn't bother. Are you looking for something portable? Something with a closed design? 

From what I've heard, the V-Moda sounds decent in all areas of the sound spectrum, especially for a closed on-ear design. And it has many great qualities as well: exoskeleton case, useful cables, phenomenal durability, etc. Beyerdynamics are very detailed but with an annoying treble imo. The bass is strong but not nearly as prominent as the treble, making it somewhat absent-feeling in comparison. 

Denon AH-D2000 and AKG Q701s are worth looking into. The former does have recessed midrange and the latter requires a great amp to drive them however. And the bass on the Q701s are a bit lacking in quantity, and with an unnatural sound stage. My favorite headphone under 500 dollars is the HD 598 by Sennheiser. Not too fast yet not too slow. Soundstage is absolutely phenomenal (one of the best under 1000 dollars) and its midrange is what many would consider to be in the top 5 out of any headphones, regardless of price. Its bass might be a problem if you are a basshead. However, this can all be all relative. Someone who switched from an AD 700 to the HD 598 once claimed that the latter had too much bass. It's all relative and what your brain is used to hearing. The HD 598 also has a nice unfatiguing treble. It's a very Sennheiser-like sound - unfatiguing, smooth, balanced - but maintains some brightness for excitement, which is a bit unusual in Sennheiser models. Look up the "jack-of-all-trades" on this forum. That will explain the capabilities of this headphone well. 

Sony has some decent headphones under 200 dollars as well. Worth looking into. 

+2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back