$400 Budget: Headphones for Metal Music
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #61 of 88
Grado 325is
/Thread

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #62 of 88
I'd not consider grado unless your preference of music are limited to certain types only. The grado it's unbearable on any complexed music, namely the ghost love score from nightwish. Put in a simple way, it would be everybody start shouting in the same time and in very small and crowded room. Basically , you can not hear ANY thing. The grado imo is very very limited in its application, you might want consider something more flexible. The most important part of the metal, rap or many rocks, it's the harmony between the bass and mids. Treble dose not get in the way too much in most of non classical music. you wanna the bass to be very tight and has the weight and authority so that the bass guitar could sound heavy and tight, instead of just being plain noise, and in the mean time the vocal should be able to clearly heard. If you really dig the metal , you might wanna look around for some closed cans in ur price range, like m50/shure 840/ Senn HD25 / ultrastone, etc. I never been a grado fun, the brightness just too much : )

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #63 of 88
That is not my experiance with the upper end of Grado, the lowerend does get very congested.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #64 of 88
I enjoy the "bright" sound, so Grados would be ideal for me :) In regards to the 325i, is that the phone the Alessandro MS2 is based on? I ask becuase its easier for me to get my hands on Alessandro's where I live, the markup on Grado's internationally is ridiculous...

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #65 of 88
Yeah they're pretty much the same headphone with a minor tweak or so, enjoy!

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #66 of 88
I'm also looking for headphones for metal/rock in that price range. I know Grado.. but I currently own Alessandro MS1i and I don't like them so much. They are too bright and harsh for some albums. The new well mastered ones sound great but some older stuff sound really bad imo. I think I might like headphones with slightly recessed mids and a bit more bass. I'm considering Beyer DT990 (too bassy for metal/rock?)/DT880/D2000(the mids look too much recessed on headroom graphs?)/HD650. What would you suggest me? 

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #67 of 88
There have been positive reports on Ultrasone Pro 900s handling metal very well. Although, rock not as much. But they certainly are pleasant, slightly recessed mids and quality bass (special focus on quality).

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #68 of 88
I find the Grados (at least the lower end) to be rough sounding in the upper range which tends to make them more harsh at louder volumes and the lower end lacks bass extension and if you mod them for more bass it just increases the midbass hump which muddies the midrange. They sound great on guitars like Kurt Cobain unplugged in NY for example but less spectacular on other stuff and other genres. I find my DT880 Pro to be all around better and I would guess the same would be true for the DT990. I haven't had a chance to hear the Denon's yet.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #70 of 88
I still want to try a Sony SA5000, I listen to mostly metal too btw.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #71 of 88
grado sr225 since alot of metal is poorly recorded and the 325 are very unforgiving of poor recordings.

the 325 are slightly better but also alot brighter and this can make alot of recordings unbearable.

this is why i recommend the 225 for metal.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #72 of 88
Maybe you should consider the Pro 900. They have slightly recessed mids and a great quality bass which doesn't mess up the sound. I think Pro 900 do metal and some rock very well, (Dream Theater, LTE, Opeth, Symphony X, Kamelot, Rush, Pink Floyd) and similar. Worth to mention is that they don't like poor recordings, so it really depends on what you listen to.  I haven't heard any Grado headphone so I can't comment on them.

Quote:
I'm also looking for headphones for metal/rock in that price range. I know Grado.. but I currently own Alessandro MS1i and I don't like them so much. They are too bright and harsh for some albums. The new well mastered ones sound great but some older stuff sound really bad imo. I think I might like headphones with slightly recessed mids and a bit more bass. I'm considering Beyer DT990 (too bassy for metal/rock?)/DT880/D2000(the mids look too much recessed on headroom graphs?)/HD650. What would you suggest me? 

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #73 of 88

In which aspects does the 325 improve on the 225?

I just picked up a sr80i, it does helps with some bad metal recordings. Funny thing is I like the sr80i more than the Rs1i that I've got the chance to listen to. Now I wanna try the sr225i and sr325i, just to make sure I didn't miss anything (nearly gave up on grado after I tried the rs1i =p)
Quote:
grado sr225 since alot of metal is poorly recorded and the 325 are very unforgiving of poor recordings.

the 325 are slightly better but also alot brighter and this can make alot of recordings unbearable.

this is why i recommend the 225 for metal.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #75 of 88
I really want to try something different from the Grado sound. 225, 325, MS2i (basically the same as 325 from what I've read) and my MS1i (aka 125) doesn't seem to be that different on the graphs on headroom. 

Quote:
I find the Grados (at least the lower end) to be rough sounding in the upper range which tends to make them more harsh at louder volumes and the lower end lacks bass extension and if you mod them for more bass it just increases the midbass hump which muddies the midrange. They sound great on guitars like Kurt Cobain unplugged in NY for example but less spectacular on other stuff and other genres. I find my DT880 Pro to be all around better and I would guess the same would be true for the DT990. I haven't had a chance to hear the Denon's yet.

Could you describe the difference between your DT880 and SR80i on slayer and maybe slipknot, that's the closest to the bands I listen from the bands on your profile? 

I will definitely do some research on the Pro 900 despite they are a bit over my budget.

To make it more clear I mainly listen to thrash/speed from the metal genres like Megadeth, older Metallica, Annihilator, Kreator, some rock bands like Rainbow, Deep Purple, sometimes Foo Fighters, Nirvana and lately random electronic stuff witch I really don't care how would sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back