$400 Budget: Headphones for Metal Music
Jul 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #17 of 88
Anyway I ended up going with the SR325is based on this THREAD. The verdict was while the MS-2s were excellent headphones, they were neutral in comparison to the SR325i. This isn't a bad thing, just carters to different tastes. Alessandro is implied to have a reputation of neutralizing headphones from the previous Grado state. This allegedly causes specific aspects of certain music(metal and hard rock in this case) to become less apparent. However for other genre's such as pop and jazz, the MS-2s receive a increase in quality. The modification Alessandro makes is an better all round headphone for all genres(Jack of all trades, Master of None) In my case I listen strictly to heavy music, so I wouldn't reap the benefits of the MS-2. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #18 of 88

Quote:
Im thinking of going with the SR325is. You think that my ibasso will be able to drive them correct? Last time I purchased my Turbine Coppers, I got a good deal on them. I don't see anything other than the MSRP of $295. Should I pay this amount?  

I'd trust the combo; Grados aren't very hard to drive unless you're using an anemic amp that totally lacks current. Soemtimes I think my SR225 sounds too thin next to the HD600, and so I thought that one was far too coloured one way and the Grado simply lacking, but after sock-modding it's very close to the HD600. The real weak point on the Grados are the pads: aside from comfort, they're too porous for sound to leak out and noise getting in. The sock didn't soften up the sound; there's enough bass to be audible without losing detail and punch, and the rest of the percussions hti as har as ever. I still prefer the HD600 for now, BUT, when I get around to the DIY C-pads (with K701-style angle mounting) and it turns out as good as the Sennheiser, then I'm more likely to keep the Grado because it folds flat and does well straight out of most portable players in case my amp/s need repairs.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #19 of 88
I'd also like to ask a question before starting up a new thread as it may also help the person who started this thread with his decision. I've heard that the Alessandro MS-2 is basically a more balanced Grado SR325is with much tamed treble and slightly more laid back than the Grados though not being laid back in general. Since the majority of my music is also rock and metal (extreme metal specifically), would you guys recommend the Alessandro MS-2 straight up or go the safe route and get the Sennheiser HD600 since its a better all-rounder as I also listen to the occasional electronica/hip-hop. Perhaps my question is, is the Alessandro/Grado line-up really forward/guitar-driven/metal oriented to the point that it is an absolute blasphemy to listen with other genres of music provided the other options out there in the same price range?

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 88

Quote:
I'd also like to ask a question before starting up a new thread as it may also help the person who started this thread with his decision. I've heard that the Alessandro MS-2 is basically a more balanced Grado SR325is with much tamed treble and slightly more laid back than the Grados though not being laid back in general. Since the majority of my music is also rock and metal (extreme metal specifically), would you guys recommend the Alessandro MS-2 straight up or go the safe route and get the Sennheiser HD600 since its a better all-rounder as I also listen to the occasional electronica/hip-hop. Perhaps my question is, is the Alessandro/Grado line-up really forward/guitar-driven/metal oriented to the point that it is an absolute blasphemy to listen with other genres of music provided the other options out there in the same price range?

i will not deny that guitar based rock and metal sounds best but other genres do fine as well. keep in mind i have the alessandro ms1 which is the lower end model. since grado has a similar sound signature throughout their lineup i would assume a similar experience.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 88
Nice choice! I just received my new SR325is in the mail yesterday and all I listen to is metal and hard rock. Sounds great so far!

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #22 of 88
Now that my SR325i purchase is complete, I have a few questions about the headphone itself.

1) I hear the headphones aren't comfy, is it worth switching pads(Very Expensive from what I see)? I know this change would effect sound, but I'm not interested in fiddling with pads unless improvement is made.

2) How bad is isolation? I don't have a problem with leakage, but I see some posters saying that sound penetrates through Grados like you weren't wearing headphones at all.

3) How durable is the SR325? Cable, mesh, headband, ect. I'm sure similar Grado and Alessandro models are similar so any input is helpful.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 88
Quote:
Now that my SR325i purchase is complete, I have a few questions about the headphone itself.

1) I hear the headphones aren't comfy, is it worth switching pads(Very Expensive from what I see)? I know this change would effect sound, but I'm not interested in fiddling with pads unless improvement is made.

2) How bad is isolation? I don't have a problem with leakage, but I see some posters saying that sound penetrates through Grados like you weren't wearing headphones at all.

3) How durable is the SR325? Cable, mesh, headband, ect. I'm sure similar Grado and Alessandro models are similar so any input is helpful.

I don't have the SR325, but I have owned an SR60 for a couple of months now, and can probably help with these questions;

1) At first the grado's aren't very comfortable, but after a couple of sessions with them you will get so that you forget you are wearing them. mine have the comfy pads and yours have the bowls (i think?) but you can purchase comfy pads for ~10 if you dont like the bowl or l-pads, i can't remember which the 325 come with. IMO comfys are best for metal, better than bowls because you don't need that extra space (extra space usually means more bass...for metal this isnt needed obviously)

2) yes, just like any open back and over ear headphone, isolation in both senses of the word (sound in and sound out) is bad. you will be able to hear most things around you, and people near you will be able to hear whatever you are listening to

3) the headphones may seem flimsy at first but honestly they are very durable. Only really flimsy part is the metal swivel that the phones are on, the little black stopper can fall off. This is replacable though.

by the way nice avatar, love that CD

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #24 of 88
KVE - LER - TAAAAAAAAAAK!

Every track on that album is killer. Their self titled was one of the best albums of last year IMO. I remember when I first heard one of their songs I was ecstatic but had no clue about spelling their band name, only pronunciation. It was brutal, I was typing in things like Cfehlehtalk in google for hours lol.

Back on topic... I heard because the pads can be firm, you can soften them up by using shampoo and water. Has anyone tried this and if so, does it effect the sound?

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #26 of 88
huge metalhead love deathcore, carnifex, despised icon, winds of plague, recon, whitechapel.

GET THE 325iS

BEST HEADPHONES IVE HEARD MY MUSIC THROUGH IN MY LIFE!!!!

AND yes ive tried all the grados from 6oI- 325I,

nothing does it as good as the 325I

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #27 of 88
ok ill give advice

use the bowls...it will keep the detail and the 325 hit hard enough you wont want to loose the details.

the pads will soften up with time, as well as your ears getting used to them... i could wear my pair for 8 hours straight after owning them for a good amount of time.

though you can break them in by washing them, and no it wont afffect the sound.

they are sturdy but i wouldnt go throwing them into the wall.

also what time of xhardcorex toughguy are you if you cant even wear a pair of uncomfy headphones :wink:

kidding but in all seriousness these cans rock hard.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 88
The large G-cushions are more comfortable but they also lose the agressive edge. More soundstage, less mids and a tad less punch. Less harsh but details suffer a bit too.
Im not getting started on deathcore 
deadhorse.gif

But with real heavy, death, trash, prog and some black the standard bowls are the way to go imo.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #29 of 88
For hard rock/metal I only really like speakers and Ultrasone headphones open back ones which only 2 exist right now HFI 2400 and Pro 2900 (which I have no idea what that one sounds like) and the ED 10 but it costs so much I really don't consider it.
Other headphones to me are way too fatiguing to listen to and bright especially with overly loud/compressed/brickwall albums.
The -4db of sound pressure really helps.
It's also the only headphones that seem to be able to do percussion without burying it.

But pretty much everyone else is going to say Grado or maybe Beyerdynamic

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #30 of 88
The current MS-2 selling on the Alessandro website is the "i" model. It's just not called the MS2i by Alessandro. The MS-2i is more neutral sounding than the SR325i (which is renouned for being a bit harsh). But yea, for metal, Grado/Alessandro are the traditional choice due to their speed and upper-mid presence which makes guitars scream, for something with big soundstage there is the Audio-Technica AD900, and for something with a closed back (if you need isolation) there is the Shure SRH940.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back