$400 Budget: Headphones for Metal Music
Feb 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #76 of 88
Ultrasone HFI-780 are amazing for Metal!

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #78 of 88
Graphs don't tell you everything, but yeah all Grados are more or less the same sound. I feel I'm pretty qualified to speak on this if you check my collection too haha.

I'd shoot for the HFI-580's or a used pair of Pro900's you can reach for them if you want something drastically different.

Hifiman HE300 and HE400 is also a solid choice and the one I'd pick depending on which one you can afford.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #79 of 88

Quote:

To make it more clear I mainly listen to thrash/speed from the metal genres like Megadeth, older Metallica, Annihilator, Kreator, some rock bands like Rainbow, Deep Purple, sometimes Foo Fighters, Nirvana and lately random electronic stuff witch I really don't care how would sound.

I just listened to Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction album (flac) on Pro 900. Absolutely amazing.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #80 of 88

Quote:
In which aspects does the 325 improve on the 225?

I just picked up a sr80i, it does helps with some bad metal recordings. Funny thing is I like the sr80i more than the Rs1i that I've got the chance to listen to. Now I wanna try the sr225i and sr325i, just to make sure I didn't miss anything (nearly gave up on grado after I tried the rs1i =p)

the 325 has better detail, mostly from the better highs. its an improvement overall from the 225, but it also loses warmth that the 225 has in the mids. its slightly different but they both have the grado sound to them.

if you liked the 80s, you will LOVE the 225. its about the same as the 80, just better in every way 
tongue.gif

the rs1i are completely different from the lower end grados. they have alot more bass (primarily midbass) and have alot of warmth in the mids, however, they can also sound quite bloomy at times. they sound really good on some recordings, and not so good with others. this is mostly because the rs1 are very colored headphones, which makes them very enjoyable on some songs.

Quote:
Don't know what metal you listen to -_-

a bit of newer stuff. with metal i also include newer bands and include genres such as metalcore. alot of the newer stuff tends to be overly compressed and super loud.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #81 of 88
That makes me want to try both 
tongue_smile.gif

The main gripe I have with the sr80i is the virtually-non-existant soundstage. Otherwise it hides the flaws of bad recording really well. How's the soundstage on 325 and 225 compared to the 80? I might lean toward the 325 more since I prefer cold sounding cans =p.

Quote:
the 325 has better detail, mostly from the better highs. its an improvement overall from the 225, but it also loses warmth that the 225 has in the mids. its slightly different but they both have the grado sound to them.

if you liked the 80s, you will LOVE the 225. its about the same as the 80, just better in every way 
tongue.gif

the rs1i are completely different from the lower end grados. they have alot more bass (primarily midbass) and have alot of warmth in the mids, however, they can also sound quite bloomy at times. they sound really good on some recordings, and not so good with others. this is mostly because the rs1 are very colored headphones, which makes them very enjoyable on some songs.

a bit of newer stuff. with metal i also include newer bands and include genres such as metalcore. alot of the newer stuff tends to be overly compressed and super loud.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #82 of 88
the 325 are definitely the coldest of them all, they are also very detailed, even much so than the rs1 because of the highs. the 325 are extremely revealing too. the soundstage is about the same as the rs1 too. all the small grados have pretty small soundstages, so i don't pay attention to it much.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #83 of 88
How would you rate the 325 treble/detail versus the Dt990?.

Maybe the grado soundstage got something to do with their L-cush pad. The gs1000i uses the g-cush and I heard they got terrific soundstage. No idea about the Ps1000 though.

Quote:
the 325 are definitely the coldest of them all, they are also very detailed, even much so than the rs1 because of the highs. the 325 are extremely revealing too. the soundstage is about the same as the rs1 too. all the small grados have pretty small soundstages, so i don't pay attention to it much.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #84 of 88
My preference would be:
1. Used ATH-AD2000
2. Sony SA5000
3. Ultrasone Pro900

The AD2000 is the most Grado like in signature among them but is more detailed and has and it's bass slam, depth and texture would put most if not all Grados to shame, not to mention Imaging and instrument staging among other things. The SA5000 is on the same level in those areas exepct bass extention but it's has a meaner and less forgiving nature if driven by a solid state amp.  The Pro900 is almost unlistenable without modding it (much too bassy and sibliant) but has great potential espcially with stuff that has lots of heavy bass and drums in it.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #85 of 88

Quote:
My preference would be:
1. Used ATH-AD2000
2. Sony SA5000
3. Ultrasone Pro900

The AD2000 is the most Grado like in signature among them but is more detailed and has and it's bass slam, depth and texture would put most if not all Grados to shame, not to mention Imaging and instrument staging among other things. The SA5000 is on the same level in those areas exepct bass extention but it's has a meaner and less forgiving nature if driven by a solid state amp.  The Pro900 is almost unlistenable without modding it (much too bassy and sibliant) but has great potential espcially with stuff that has lots of heavy bass and drums in it.

D2000's are a bit boomy though to be compared to a Grado and the bass is definitely there... I have to check around the room to see if it's not shaking my house when I'm listening to them.

Pro900 is very sensitive to source/amp I feel, since it was intended to be driven easily, a lot of the brighter solid state amps can absolutely trainwreck it in my opinion, boomy bass is also a character of improper synnergy at times.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #86 of 88

Quote:
How would you rate the 325 treble/detail versus the Dt990?.

Maybe the grado soundstage got something to do with their L-cush pad. The gs1000i uses the g-cush and I heard they got terrific soundstage. No idea about the Ps1000 though.

the 325 has more treble and slightly more detail than the dt 990, this is because it is more forward sounding and because the grados have better mids and less bass, so the highs stand out more.

they are very different headphones in terms of sound signature.

yes the pads do affect soundstage. you can widen soundstage on smaller grados by using the g-cush, but its not recommended since they would become even brighter and lose bass and sound bad.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #87 of 88
Quote:
D2000's are a bit boomy though to be compared to a Grado and the bass is definitely there... I have to check around the room to see if it's not shaking my house when I'm listening to them.

Pro900 is very sensitive to source/amp I feel, since it was intended to be driven easily, a lot of the brighter solid state amps can absolutely trainwreck it in my opinion, boomy bass is also a character of improper synnergy at times.

first, AH-D2000≠ATH-AD2000, come'on...

Second, I had the Pro900 with the a Stello HP100 which is a fine and slightly warm sounding amp, the synergy was a good as any out there. This doesn't change the fact that infering to the stock Pro900 as neutral is just as silly as their 'Pro' moniker.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #88 of 88

Quote:
Quote:

first, AH-D2000≠ATH-AD2000, come'on...

Second, I had the Pro900 with the a Stello HP100 which is a fine and slightly warm sounding amp, the synergy was a good as any out there. This doesn't change the fact that infering to the stock Pro900 as neutral is just as silly as their 'Pro' moniker.

Thats not... the first time I've made that mistake either. I also keep mistaking the AD900 for the Pro900 and I keep thinking the W1000X is one step below the Denon D2K... dang numbers why can't headphones be named after animals or fighter jets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back