2359glenn | studio
Jun 18, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #13,546 of 40,000
  Yeah they're ER300B, I got them as RMA from my first pair back in January, so they are supposedly the new base/design.  I really like the smoothness of these back when I have the WA5, and now with Glenn 300B, comparing from memory about a year ago, I get alot more details and clarity compared to the WA5 while still getting that mid range smoothness.  I can hear this fairly easily while comparing to my M11 SS amp.  Still burning these in, so that's my preliminary observation.  I have WE300B reissue as well as SERP, so will be rolling them in over time to compare.

Have you tried it hooked to your speakers yet?
What headphones are you using?

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #13,547 of 40,000
  Here's a night shot

Beautiful......Enjoy Khragon   
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #13,548 of 40,000

Have you tried it hooked to your speakers yet?
What headphones are you using?

Haven't try speakers yet, that's on my to do list today.
I'm using HD800S and HEK, mostly HEK because it sounded so good I haven't have the urge to switch to HD800S.

Edit:
Listening to the speakers now. I have Tekton Lore, volume is at 10 o'clock and is just right, going to 12 would be too loud. Sounded pretty good.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #13,550 of 40,000
@Khragon

Did you bring home the Utopia to pair with your 300b? :grin:

Congrats man.

I and @whirlwind, in our little chat, agreed that even with cheap tubes our OTL amps (mine is called Darna - in case Tony had forgotten :wink:) sound good. Better tubes elevate to even higher SQ. Glenn is an amp sorcerer! :grinning:

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #13,551 of 40,000
I like the Utopia, but not at $4000!  Elair I thought is simply no good.  I got a brief listen on Cavalli new TOTL prototype amp, Liquid Tungsten? from reading other impressions  that it got great sound staging, but I still find Glenn 300B to have better sound staging, I thought the LT is a darker in sound signature than Glenn 300B, not enough time to make full comparison, but I'm certain Glenn 300B is up there with the TOTL amps.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #13,553 of 40,000
Geez, I didn't pay attention.  I don't know.  If I run into it again at a meet, I'll ask and report back.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #13,554 of 40,000
Got another listening session today and amazed at the dynamics (PRaT?), especially considering that this is a 300B tube amp.  I can hear changes in music much better, things such as violin moving back and forth quickly was more pronounced, thus giving impression of a larger more 3D sound stage. Music is more enjoyable. 

I tried my 16 ohm 64 Audio U12 IEM and it just doesn't work well with the amp, I can clearly hear the background noise and way too micro-phonic to be enjoyable.  Wishful thinking I know :).

Another observation, the amp is back heavy and even with those hefty feet Glenn fitted it with, it still sink lower than the from, giving it the impression that it's ready to take off.  Maybe I can try to rotate the feet after a while.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #13,555 of 40,000
Glenn, is it easy to switch voltage for the OTL amp? Mine is set at 230v but if the buyer wants to change it to 110v, would it be doable on your own or do I need to send the amp back to you? Thanks

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #13,558 of 40,000
  Got another listening session today and amazed at the dynamics (PRaT?), especially considering that this is a 300B tube amp.  I can hear changes in music much better, things such as violin moving back and forth quickly was more pronounced, thus giving impression of a larger more 3D sound stage. Music is more enjoyable. 

I tried my 16 ohm 64 Audio U12 IEM and it just doesn't work well with the amp, I can clearly hear the background noise and way too micro-phonic to be enjoyable.  Wishful thinking I know :).

Another observation, the amp is back heavy and even with those hefty feet Glenn fitted it with, it still sink lower than the from, giving it the impression that it's ready to take off.  Maybe I can try to rotate the feet after a while.

Guess I should of used hard feet instead of the vibero pads that absorb vibrations.
If you rotate the feet you have to remove the bottom. The bottom plate is threaded + I put nuts on the screws so it is essentially double nutted.
This is so the screws won't come loose and they won't come out unless you remove the nuts first.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #13,559 of 40,000

Some of them it is easy. Do you have the old transformer?

Yes mine is the old transformer. Can you guide me how, please? thanks

Take the bottom off there is a white connector by the rectifier tube socket. There are 4 wires from the transformer going to it. Black , Black&White ,  Blue , Blue&White.
The center connection has the Black&White and blue connected together remove them and connect the blue with the Black and the Blue&White with the Black&White.
Not so hard easy.

Glenn

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #13,560 of 40,000

Take the bottom off there is a white connector by the rectifier tube socket. There are 4 wires from the transformer going to it. Black , Black&White ,  Blue , Blue&White.
The center connection has the Black&White and blue connected together remove them and connect the blue with the Black and the Blue&White with the Black&White.
Not so hard easy.

Glenn

Thanks so much, Glenn! Much appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back