2359glenn | studio
Jun 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #13,561 of 40,000
Happy Father's Day to everyone.

Hope you all enjoy your day to the fullest.

I am treating myself this Father's Day morning with this combo....I only listen to my GEC 6AS7G on special occasions, just because I only have one set.

This is one of those occasions

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #13,562 of 40,000

Guess I should of used hard feet instead of the vibero pads that absorb vibrations.
If you rotate the feet you have to remove the bottom. The bottom plate is threaded + I put nuts on the screws so it is essentially double nutted.
This is so the screws won't come loose and they won't come out unless you remove the nuts first.

No worries Glenn, I am not bother by the uneveness at all.  I am glad you use these vibero pads actually.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #13,563 of 40,000
Khragon
Have you determined what impedance does the HD-800s sound the best? I am building a amp for myself
and am to lazy to wire that complected switch for me tried to see when I still had your amp but couldn't tell.
I thought the 120 ohm setting might have sounded the best?
I don't see me getting different phones allot of people don't like the HD800s But I feel they cant be beat.
Sound stage and imaging is great with these phones and anybody that say they are to bright have the
wrong amp.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #13,565 of 40,000
Hi Glenn.

It is a Brimar 13D1

I think you recommended this tube to me when you were building my amp.

I have since bought another one after hearing it for some time.

They have gone up a little in price since you recommended it to me.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #13,566 of 40,000
  Khragon
Have you determined what impedance does the HD-800s sound the best? I am building a amp for myself
and am to lazy to wire that complected switch for me tried to see when I still had your amp but couldn't tell.
I thought the 120 ohm setting might have sounded the best?
I don't see me getting different phones allot of people don't like the HD800s But I feel they cant be beat.
Sound stage and imaging is great with these phones and anybody that say they are to bright have the
wrong amp.

I just did a semi-serious switching back and forth and I can't tell any difference between 120 ohm and 40ohm, ignoring the volume difference, and this time with SERPs.  Maybe the 120 ohm is an atom smoother than 40ohm on female vocal, but that could me missing the volume matching level and lowered the 120 ohm too much. I think you're safe sticking to 40 ohm.  Got to say your switch is light year better than Woo's, I can't understand why they can't do it similar to yours, every time I switch the WA5 impedance, it pop so hard it ring my ears, very annoying.  Seems to be recurring theme on their other amps too, WA8 2-3 tubes switch pop just as bad. 

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #13,567 of 40,000
I will go with the lower impedance then in case I get different low impedance phones.
When I was trying it with your amp I couldn't really tell other then being louder in the 120 ohm setting.
Wiring up the transformers now.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #13,568 of 40,000
  Hi Glenn.

It is a Brimar 13D1

My original OTLs had a 25 volt winding on the transformer and only could use the 13D1 and 1633.
Changed it to 6 volt because people complained. I could live with the 13D1 and the $3.00 ken-Rad 1633 what more is going to sound better with SN7s

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #13,569 of 40,000

Take the bottom off there is a white connector by the rectifier tube socket. There are 4 wires from the transformer going to it. Black , Black&White ,  Blue , Blue&White.
The center connection has the Black&White and blue connected together remove them and connect the blue with the Black and the Blue&White with the Black&White.
Not so hard easy.

Glenn

I did something similar with an Allnic HPA-3000 that originally came from Korea.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #13,570 of 40,000

Hi Glenn.

It is a Brimar 13D1

My original OTLs had a 25 volt winding on the transformer and only could use the 13D1 and 1633.
Changed it to 6 volt because people complained. I could live with the 13D1 and the $3.00 ken-Rad 1633 what more is going to sound better with SN7s

I do not have any Ken Rad 1633 tubes....only RCA....I will look for some Ken Rads

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #13,571 of 40,000
My wife and I sat down for some speakers time and she was amazed at the sound quality, we picked out the improvements right away when switched to Glenn 300B. The increase sound stage and dynamics is very apparent. Anyone with Glenn 300B and high efficiency speakers should try out the combination. Even at the default 40 ohm, my speakers sounded very good, in fact, I accidentally left the setting at 40 ohm on first trial. You got to make a cable that goes from XLR to speakers jacks.

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #13,572 of 40,000
My wife and I sat down for some speakers time and she was amazed at the sound quality, we picked out the improvements right away when switched to Glenn 300B. The increase sound stage and dynamics is very apparent. Anyone with Glenn 300B and high efficiency speakers should try out the combination. Even at the default 40 ohm, my speakers sounded very good, in fact, I accidentally left the setting at 40 ohm on first trial. You got to make a cable that goes from XLR to speakers jacks.

I haven't tried connecting the 32 ohm output to speakers. Yours is the only one that has 8 ohm output and 120 ohm.
When I was listening to your amp it was mostly through speakers it was set on 8 ohm.
It does go down to 7Hz if your source puts out anything that low. It does have great bass hooked to speakers as well as phones.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #13,573 of 40,000
Some photos with SERPs, enjoying these quite a bit, added a touch weighty sound signature, I felt they're actually more neutral sounding than I remembered them on WA5.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #13,575 of 40,000
Working on de-covering a pair of C3gs for even more glorious glow goodness.  I did it on a test one already and sanded into the pins.. got to be careful this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back