1964 Ears
Apr 4, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #2,011 of 7,417

Quote:
They've just posted a pic of mine on Facebook and a USPS note saying they're scheduled to be shipped on the 4th April. Now, they had been in touch on the 22nd and estimated despatch on the 29th. Then they contacted me on the 30th telling me they accidentally forgot to do mine with clear tips and if I wanted them redone it'd mean another delay. I was also told they'd "get it out most likely tomorrow" if I didn't mind leaving the clear tips. So I negotiated a partial refund, accepted and waited for a despatch note the next day but only in the early hours of this morning (2nd April) did I get the despatch note and I notice they missed the Friday pickup so Monday 4th April at the earliest.

IMPORTANT
OK, I just want to retract most of this about the despatch times. I totally misread the USPS email I recieved which actually says they were picked up on the 1st April and now looking at the tracking I see they left the USA in the early hours of Sunday morning. To be fair I am British and we write our dates DD/MM/YY so when the USPS email said 04/01/11, I just read it as the 4th. Anyway I apologise to 1964 Ears for the misunderstanding. Please chalk it down to enthusiasm?

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2,012 of 7,417
Whew....I just mailed my Impressions to order my first custom IEM's ever! I don't like doing things half-arsed so i ordered the quad drivers, also since they have the same frequency response signature as my beloved Cerwin Vega speaker system...
And now the waiting game. I live in Denmark so it may take anything between a month and...Well...No one knows really, before i get them - And i can't wait!!! 

Anyone had experience with marking a specific part of a bigger picture for them to use on the faceplates? Wether they care about notes and sketches of that sort, or...?

Since its my first time doing this and its costing me all i got since I'm a student, I'm naturally worried wether it'll turn out as well as i hope :p

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,013 of 7,417

Quote:
Whew....I just mailed my Impressions to order my first custom IEM's ever! I don't like doing things half-arsed so i ordered the quad drivers, also since they have the same frequency response signature as my beloved Cerwin Vega speaker system...
And now the waiting game. I live in Denmark so it may take anything between a month and...Well...No one knows really, before i get them - And i can't wait!!! 

Anyone had experience with marking a specific part of a bigger picture for them to use on the faceplates? Wether they care about notes and sketches of that sort, or...?

Since its my first time doing this and its costing me all i got since I'm a student, I'm naturally worried wether it'll turn out as well as i hope :p

My design actually was too large to fit, but it was a pattern and they reorganized the pattern so more of it would fit on it.  They were great with giving me a few mock ups and took my notes exactly and redid them as I asked.  This of course, is done towards the end when they have or are filling the molds for your customs.

Just give as much information as you can and ask for some mock ups from their graphic designer.  I didn't think it'd turn out so well so I had back up designs and they were fine about allowing me to swap out the design if I didn't like how any of the mock ups looked.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,014 of 7,417
So, I got my 1964 Q's in the mail yesterday evening - took a few pics but haven't ripped them off my camera yet to post. First impression when I opened the bag to see them --> these things are big. Wow...I didn't think my ears were that big.. dang!

To my eyes, I don't see any defects, etc...bass is impressive, mids and highs are very relaxed and not 'tinnie' if you will. Sometimes treble seems to be very heavy almost giving a hissing like feel, but not with these. Mids sometimes seem to be either really heavy or not heavy enough in sound systems. But again, not with these. Everything seems really balanced in the way of the different frequencies. None of them overpowers the other. It is almost like the iems know what the perfect eq settings are. I find that is good. It doesn't leave me wanting to add or subtract gain in a certain eq band

I have only listened to them for about 2 hours and certainly not continuously. This is just my initial impressions. The right one is a little large on the canal portion of my ear and presses outward to much. Starts to hurt after about 10 mins of listening. The left one is perfect....Probably going to have to exercise the fitment warranty. I will say however, I can not get these things to break the seal in my ears...that is a good thing.

Once I listen to them more and get the pics downloaded, I'll post another reply here. Until then, I guess I am going to have to get to sending them back, ugh. Oh well, we'll see what happens.  

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #2,015 of 7,417
Thanks for the mini review 2000se. It's a shame about the fit. I'm glad to hear about you impressions on the sound and also good news on the build quality. Do give us more opinions once you've had a chance to listen more and before you send them away.

My Quads are currently stuck in UK Customs and have been since the evening of the 4th. I'm away until Sunday too so I won't be hearing them until then at the earliest. How long does Customs take anyway? Same length as a piece of string I guess...

Anyone else in the UK got the Quads? I can't remember but I'd love to be one of the first.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,016 of 7,417

Quote:
Thanks for the mini review 2000se. It's a shame about the fit. I'm glad to hear about you impressions on the sound and also good news on the build quality. Do give us more opinions once you've had a chance to listen more and before you send them away.

My Quads are currently stuck in UK Customs and have been since the evening of the 4th. I'm away until Sunday too so I won't be hearing them until then at the earliest. How long does Customs take anyway? Same length as a piece of string I guess...

Anyone else in the UK got the Quads? I can't remember but I'd love to be one of the first.

Hey Chocky- That must be infuriating. I've ordered Triples and I was told the would ship Friday last week. It's now wednesday and I've had no confirmation of shipping. I emailed the guys on Monday for a status update but haven't heard back just yet- I guess they are quite busy there.

I'm not excited to hear that my IEM's may be further delayed by UK customs. I'm not even sure of the customs procedure- do you get informed that they have arrived in the country and that they have to be 'checked' or something?

BANE

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #2,017 of 7,417
Yeah....they told me it would be completed on monday, then it would ship midweek and now they said it might not even been done this week. I think it's complete BS.

Quote:

Hey Chocky- That must be infuriating. I've ordered Triples and I was told the would ship Friday last week. It's now wednesday and I've had no confirmation of shipping. I emailed the guys on Monday for a status update but haven't heard back just yet- I guess they are quite busy there.

I'm not excited to hear that my IEM's may be further delayed by UK customs. I'm not even sure of the customs procedure- do you get informed that they have arrived in the country and that they have to be 'checked' or something?

BANE

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2,018 of 7,417

Quote:

BANE

Well, the only reason I know it is in Customs is because the USPS offer parcel tracking. I have no idea what the procedure is or the timescale. I'll update when I get news.

I have been slightly annoyed by 1964 Ears' overly optimistic estimates and it seems to be getting worse. I'm guessing this is due to a surge of orders before the 31st Feb price changes.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,019 of 7,417
If it helps guys, mine were in customs for 2 days before I got them. I didnt pay any import tax as I had my mother mark them as a $100 value gift (risky I know!) but it worked!

Any how, they are so worth the wait :wink:

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2,020 of 7,417
Eric, I know that you have been waiting for a brief W4 vs 1964-T comparison. I was planning for it during last weekend but things came up and I completely forgot about it until early this week. However I did have some time earlier and here are my brief thoughts on them. It won't be too long however since I'll be saving that for when I do a review.

Source: Audinst HUD-MX1
Phones: 1964 Ears 1964-T, Westone 4

The Westone 4 is a very pleasing earphone and it is one that imo is difficult to offend people. The bass is strictly quality here so probably won't be the best for someone who is looking for a bass head earphone. The bass has good impact and quantity however so it's not to say that it is bass light. There is a adequate decay in the bass so notes do not disappear as fast as they appear which does make it seem a bit more realistic than some other earphones I have heard. The midrange of the Westone 4 is great. The midrange does have a hint of warmth which imo adds to the pleasing sound that comes from these earphones. It is however a tiny bit forward but not overly so where it distracts you from the rest of the music. It has good detail, resolution and texture in the midrange. The midrange is also very smooth (as is the rest of the sound and not just the midrange) and for lack of a better term sweet. The treble is also smooth having good amount of detail, extension and a very inoffensive treble. It doesn't have the treble of say the CK10 that may offend many people and it doesn't roll off really early either.

The 1964-T is quite different however. The Westone 4 and the 1964-T have similar bass in that quantity and impact are fairly similar and extension is about the same. Where they differ however is the presentation of the bass. While both are high quality the bass of the 1964-T offers a tiny bit less decay while still retaining a good amount of realism in the bass. The midrange does not have that slight forwardness like the Westone 4 and does not have as much warmth as the Westone 4. The midrange is more balanced in terms of how forward or recessed it is compared to the bass and treble. Detail and resolution however are pretty on par with the Westone 4. The treble of the 1964-T smooths out and is similar to the Westone 4 in that it is not overly sparkly like some of the more analytical phones.

In short the 1964-T and Westone 4 are both great and offer different sound signatures and I can see people owning both (like I do). I can also see someone owning either one of them and being completely satisfied (although temporarily since this is head-fi after all). I find the resolution and overall presentation of the Westone 4 pretty impressive and hopefully to not cause anything FOTM I really do consider the Westone 4 and 1964-T to be equals in sound. Isolation, fit, etc however is another story. I've had the Westone 4 for a while now and the 1964-T even longer so I do hope this is enough time where it is not the effect of having a new toy.

I won;t be posting again about the W4 since I do want to save the rest for when I write a review.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2,021 of 7,417
@rawster - and I hope in your next post you will elaborate on the isolation, fit , etc..... that you touch on at the end of your post above....

As always, thanks for your insight..... very much appreciated!

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2,022 of 7,417
Great initial impressions and comparison of the two @ rawrster. I appreciate the post and it makes me even more curious about the W4, but I'm still trying to resist temptation. I have enough to IEMs/headphones to listen to. And yes, before anyone asks, the Quad still occupies my time and is my favorite. Thanks again rawrster.

Quote:
Eric, I know that you have been waiting for a brief W4 vs 1964-T comparison. I was planning for it during last weekend but things came up and I completely forgot about it until early this week. However I did have some time earlier and here are my brief thoughts on them. It won't be too long however since I'll be saving that for when I do a review.

Source: Audinst HUD-MX1
Phones: 1964 Ears 1964-T, Westone 4

The Westone 4 is a very pleasing earphone and it is one that imo is difficult to offend people. The bass is strictly quality here so probably won't be the best for someone who is looking for a bass head earphone. The bass has good impact and quantity however so it's not to say that it is bass light. There is a adequate decay in the bass so notes do not disappear as fast as they appear which does make it seem a bit more realistic than some other earphones I have heard. The midrange of the Westone 4 is great. The midrange does have a hint of warmth which imo adds to the pleasing sound that comes from these earphones. It is however a tiny bit forward but not overly so where it distracts you from the rest of the music. It has good detail, resolution and texture in the midrange. The midrange is also very smooth (as is the rest of the sound and not just the midrange) and for lack of a better term sweet. The treble is also smooth having good amount of detail, extension and a very inoffensive treble. It doesn't have the treble of say the CK10 that may offend many people and it doesn't roll off really early either.

The 1964-T is quite different however. The Westone 4 and the 1964-T have similar bass in that quantity and impact are fairly similar and extension is about the same. Where they differ however is the presentation of the bass. While both are high quality the bass of the 1964-T offers a tiny bit less decay while still retaining a good amount of realism in the bass. The midrange does not have that slight forwardness like the Westone 4 and does not have as much warmth as the Westone 4. The midrange is more balanced in terms of how forward or recessed it is compared to the bass and treble. Detail and resolution however are pretty on par with the Westone 4. The treble of the 1964-T smooths out and is similar to the Westone 4 in that it is not overly sparkly like some of the more analytical phones.

In short the 1964-T and Westone 4 are both great and offer different sound signatures and I can see people owning both (like I do). I can also see someone owning either one of them and being completely satisfied (although temporarily since this is head-fi after all). I find the resolution and overall presentation of the Westone 4 pretty impressive and hopefully to not cause anything FOTM I really do consider the Westone 4 and 1964-T to be equals in sound. Isolation, fit, etc however is another story. I've had the Westone 4 for a while now and the 1964-T even longer so I do hope this is enough time where it is not the effect of having a new toy.

I won;t be posting again about the W4 since I do want to save the rest for when I write a review.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2,023 of 7,417
Thanks. I'll post more on the W4 in a week or two when I have somethign written up.

Eric, do you ever plan on getting another custom or just going to stick with the 1964-Q? I think 2 or 3 customs should be around what I have so depending on how the 2nd one I might get something a bit on the warm side to have my different signatures covered.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,024 of 7,417

Quote:
Thanks. I'll post more on the W4 in a week or two when I have somethign written up.

Eric, do you ever plan on getting another custom or just going to stick with the 1964-Q? I think 2 or 3 customs should be around what I have so depending on how the 2nd one I might get something a bit on the warm side to have my different signatures covered.

Hmmm? Good question rawrster. I have my eye on two different customs, the Merlin (and hopefully I'll get to hear what it sounds like first), and perhaps the Livewires 3. I use to be interested in the ES5, but I don't think the bass would be enough for me in a custom (and I think I could get the same bass in a W4). If this UM Merlin hybrid lives up to expectations (dd bass and two BAs each for treble and mids), I think that could be my dream custom along with the Quad. What I've read, I'm not interested in JH and really don't think it would be worth it to pay $500 to $700 more for one of their customs. I don't believe the sound would be that more expansive than the 1964 EARS. Just my hunch, of course. I think smaller companies like Livewire and 1964 EARS have shown that you don't have to pay a house mortgage to get a great sounding custom. So that was the long way of answering yes to your question...lol

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2,025 of 7,417
**double post- Sorry**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back