1964 Ears
Apr 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2,041 of 7,417

Quote:
That's great that you received good service, I did not and I won't be able to listen to mine for at least another 2 weeks. They first told me it would be completed on the 4th...now it's friday and it's still not completed. They didn't even tell me why it was delayed and wasn't completed on monday .I really think they are just pulling estimates from their butt at the moment. I would have been much happier with them telling me they couldn't give me a date then give me very inaccurate estimates. It seems like people working in the audio business think they can get away with giving these false completion dates. I can take a quick look through the forums and find headphone modders, amp makers and cable braiders with wait times longer than advertised. If I did my work like these people giving false completion dates I wouldn't have a job, plain and simple, so why should these guys get slack? Especially on the more expensive items. It's sad really, seems like the audio business has very few people with integrity.

I don't think it's reasonable to say that these small shops have no integrity. No integrity would be taking your money and flying to Bali or something. I think the worst that can be said about 1964-Ears (and maybe some of the others where there are problems) is that you've got people who are over-optimistic about their capacity to deal with a deluge of orders.

There are about four people there working on the customs. When the free shipping and free clear tips offer came to an end they were getting flooded with about 25 orders a day.

I know it's frustrating not to get what you want when you expected, but I think they should get cut some slack. Also without knowing what your day job is, I can't really tell whether the comparison makes sense, but the deadline expectations of a line cook and a college professor are pretty different, if you see what I mean.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #2,043 of 7,417

Quote:
I don't want to go off topic so I'll keep it simple...I'm getting paid to build a custom product but on a much larger scale. Like I said, if my estimates were as far off as 1964 ears I wouldn't have a job. In the years I've been working the most I've missed an estimate by was 1 day and as soon as I knew I wouldn't finish in time I contacted the person and told then why and when it would be done. For them to give estimates so haphazardly is bad business. The remark about integrity was not standing by their completion dates. Anywho, the way I see it right now is you can either pay $75 and you might get them in a week or you can do a plain order and you'll get them whenever they get around to it.

Opted for the $75 rush but after almost 10 days I told them to refund me the money.
Just saying, don't count on them having it done within a week.
This was back when they had lots of orders though. Don't know what it's like now.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,044 of 7,417
I was aware of this and hinting at it by saying might. I hope they improve their lead time or update their website to reflect the change due to the increase of orders since the reviews so far say they have great sound for the price. If they had better service I think this company would be perfect judging by how happy people are when they finally receive their iem.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #2,045 of 7,417
Jupp.
I agree with you. I trusted them when they told me that my IEM would be shipped by XY.
It was 2 days after XY when I contacted them and asked for a tracking number and they told me that they had some problems and it would be shipped by YZ.
This continued to the point where I asked them to refund me the money.

I think when they give a promise which they can't keep, they should contact the customer and let him know and not let him find out himself by asking again and again.
If they would've told me in the first place, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

They need to slow down a bit.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #2,046 of 7,417

Day 1 with my new quads... YAY!

Took about 35 days, and I picked them up myself. After seeing their facility, it becomes obvious why we had to wait so long:  Starting your own business and building your customer base from scratch is insanely hard. I've tried and failed before, so I know. You don't just hire a bunch of people right off the bat, you have to inch your way up in case demand drops off while you're still paying off your initial loans and trying to survive. But yeah, they should say on the site "about a month" it would be more realistic. Vitaly is a nice guy.

Now the juicy part!

FIT:  Very good. At first I thought they were loose because when I open my mouth they move around, but after a few hours of listening, I see that it is a comfortable fit, WAY better than any universal I've had. The sound isolation is superb, I can barely hear the MAX train while I'm on it. A+!

Sound: I immediately played a few tracks that have been pissing me off with my hje-900 due to sibilance and lack of full bodied distorted guitar sound. I was disappointed, but maybe you can't fix a bad recording. After a bunch of testing I realized something (maybe). Some tracks sound better flying through external speakers, through several feet of air, and then into your face. Heavy, distorted guitar seems to need that. I'm not sure I will ever be satisfied with iem performance on heavy rock tracks like foo fighters, stp, etc.

The sibilance that has plagued my hje900 is mostly gone with the quads. The tracks I loved on my other iems sound more detailed and alive. I am thoroughly impressed with choral music, jazz, and electronic music through these. The bass is deep and natural. I would have to admit that the highs are the weakspot with these. They are good, but a little closed on some tracks. Actually, I'm almost glad, because I despise sibilance so much. Sade's latest album sounds awesome, Keith Jarrett's "Whisper Not" album has luscious ride cymbal and detailed piano. Valery Polyanski doing Rachmaninov's Vespers is sublime. I'm happpy, but I could be happier. These quads could use some air, some room in the highs, and a little more cohesion in the separation.
I must say they are not for the heavy rock enthusiast. "Pretty Penny" from stp's Purple album will be amazing, "Meat Plow" will not. Again, maybe that's not an arena for such music because the natural reverb in the environment is so critical to it, and much less critical to other music.  Having said that, I'm impressed, happy, and would buy them again if I went back in time.  A-

Build quality: Sturdy, no mistakes, excellent cable with NO stereophonics.

These are initial impressions, I'll see how they age with me and report back.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #2,047 of 7,417
Glad you like them.
smile.gif

It certainly is a whole 'nother league with customs.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2,051 of 7,417
I've been tempted to get the Silver Dragon cable as well. It looks more comfortable and I could do a testing for myself if it makes a difference or not but paying that much for a cable is a bit much for me for testing.

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #2,053 of 7,417
Update on delivery. It seems that USPS (or whoever they subcontract in the UK) are the kind of people that apparantly try to deliver at 6am but without using the doorbell and without leaving a card. I don't believe they attempted a delivery frankly but it's not the end of the world seeing as I'm not there right now. I've been on the website but I don't see any way to arrange redelivery in the UK. Does anyone know how to do that or should I just expect another 'attempt' on Monday?

On the other hand, it's looking like I may have avoided import fees...! We'll see...

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #2,054 of 7,417
Well 20th business day came and went, they told me they'd ship out by 8/4 but nothing so far. Have emailed them and am waiting on a reply. But anyway my two cents on the issue, I don't particularly mind. I kinda expected to be waiting longer than usual given 1. impressions from reading this thread and 2. the fact that they are a startup company with no human capital working on a huge load of orders. Guys, if you want to pay a low price and get free shipping/clear tips on the side, you should have expected this from the start. Want a 10 day turnaround time? JH will be glad to take your money :) Anyway here's to hoping that they keep close to their estimate and that they won't require refits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back