1964 Ears
Apr 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2,071 of 7,417
I've tried some of the ebay cables but the seller I talked to was not very responsive so I went elsewhere. I once cut the memory wire and tubing off and it was great. The memory wire wasn't an issue although I couldn't quite get the memory wire completely removed on one side. However I've since sold that cable since it was a right angle and I got my other cables terminated into a straight neutrik. That is why I do want to get the Silver Dragon cable down the line but don't want to pay the hefty premium.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2,072 of 7,417
I would DIY my own cables if only I could find those darned plugs. Anyway @rawrster I think there should be quite a few head-fiers willing to reterminate your cable for you for a nominal amount. And oh @project86 that's why I bought the black cable instead of the silver green one :)

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #2,073 of 7,417
Both my ES cable and 1964 Ears are straight plugged since it is already in neutrik straight :)

I think you would need to do a search for the pins. I remember seeing a thread here about having a place that has it but I forgotten where it is by now.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #2,074 of 7,417

Quote:
Both my ES cable and 1964 Ears are straight plugged since it is already in neutrik straight :)

I think you would need to do a search for the pins. I remember seeing a thread here about having a place that has it but I forgotten where it is by now.

Haha have done a search, but apparently my searching skills aren't good enough. Have posted and started a new thread but no replies, ohwells. Why would you want to straight-terminate your plugs anyway, when right-angled gives it so much better strain relief? They stick out of pockets nicer, at any rate.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #2,075 of 7,417
I may have asked this already but for the people with the 1964-Q's, do you guys ever feel like you're missing a lot of detail in the highs? And do you guys ever miss the treble sparkle from brighter iem's? From the looks of the frequency chart, it seems like I would have to get a silver cable and a bright source to get the treble where I want it.  

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,076 of 7,417

Quote:
Haha have done a search, but apparently my searching skills aren't good enough. Have posted and started a new thread but no replies, ohwells. Why would you want to straight-terminate your plugs anyway, when right-angled gives it so much better strain relief? They stick out of pockets nicer, at any rate.

Maybe his source / amp's plug is on the top or bottom rather than the side.  I know for a fact that I'd rather have it straight terminated if I'm using my fuze instead of my clip. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2,077 of 7,417

Quote:
I may have asked this already but for the people with the 1964-Q's, do you guys ever feel like you're missing a lot of detail in the highs? And do you guys ever miss the treble sparkle from brighter iem's? From the looks of the frequency chart, it seems like I would have to get a silver cable and a bright source to get the treble where I want it.  

Initially, I did, a bit.  (EDIT - The details are there, they are just not "forward.")  I use EQu quite a bit on my Touch, and I have a setting that boosts about 6 or 8K on up about 3 db.  I have one that is 0 db at 20 hz and slopes to -3 db at about 64 hz or so, and slopes back up to 0 at 500 Hz.  My last often used setting combines the first two.  I use them less and less, and mostly to compensate for the Linkowitz crossfeed in my Leckerton amp (adds a bit of bass / warmth).

The signature to me is a very flat and accurate one down to roughly 500 hz, then a 6 db or so boost.  Warm and musical, a bit laid back.  It suits me well.  It is like my speakers - silk domes instead of metal for the tweeters.  The sound doesn't grab you and make you say WOW!  It just continues to please, and pleasingly reproduce music.  If you are a Vienna Acoustics / Fritzspeakers person, you will love them.  If you are a Paradigm person, you may find them not bright enough.

Or, if you are a fan of Ultrasone treble, they may not be for you.  If you are a fan of the D7000, a good chance you will love the signature.  If you like the HD580 (only upper end open Senn I've owned) and by extrapolation the HD600 / HD650, I suspect you would love the quads.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,078 of 7,417

Quote:

I  think people sometimes get confused with smoothed out treble vs. sparkly treble. If it's not sparkly (for some even harsh to the ears), they assume the details aren't there. Actually, I think the 1964-Q has some of the most detailed highs I have heard. The micro details are immense. The difference is that 1964 EARS has smoothed out the treble so that it will be less fatiguing at higher volumes. In other words, as many have said before, the treble is a bit laidback (although I wouldn't call it recessed), but definitely possesses an abundance of details. For me, this is welcomed  because I love more of the bass and mids spectrum, but I want to hear details and micro details through the entire sound spectrum. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,079 of 7,417

Quote:
I  think people sometimes get confused with smoothed out treble vs. sparkly treble. If it's not sparkly (for some even harsh to the ears), they assume the details aren't there. Actually, I think the 1964-Q has some of the most detailed highs I have heard. The micro details are immense. The difference is that 1964 EARS has smoothed out the treble so that it will be less fatiguing at higher volumes. In other words, as many have said before, the treble is a bit laidback (although I wouldn't call it recessed), but definitely possesses an abundance of details. For me, this is welcomed  because I love more of the bass and mids spectrum, but I want to hear details and micro details through the entire sound spectrum. 

Well said.  At some point and generally sooner rather than later, sparkle equals fatigue for me.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #2,080 of 7,417
Sent a email to 1964 ears asking if they could possibly tweak my quads for a bit more treble (and a minor refit) because i remember somebody on this thread mentioning that they sent a email to 1964 ears requesting a bit more in the treble region and they were able to tweak it to such

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #2,081 of 7,417
Well, there are degrees of sparkle.  The ES5 has the best non fatiguing treble I've heard yet.  I think there is a fine hair of separation in finding perfect treble that lies between DBA, IERM and ES5 to my ears.  The fact is that ears do fatigue and in order to compensate for extended listening I'm not sure you can maintain accurate treble response that your ear and brain can deal with for hours and hours non stop.

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2,082 of 7,417

Quote:

I have no issues with strain relief. The strain relief that was there near the right angle plug before termination is still there after it has been terminated to a straight neutrik. As for straight plugs it is much more convenient. My Cowon J3 has a bottom headphone out and I would rather position my dac/amp where the outputs are right in front of me instead of at an angle so a straight plug is preferred there as well.

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2,083 of 7,417
Anyone have grados and the quads to compare the highs with? I didn't know you could ask them to increase the treble or I would have. I lovvveee the highs on grados.
gs1000.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2,084 of 7,417
Nope no sound tweaking possible, according to their reply to me. I asked for both a tweak on highs and bass but to no avail. I have grados, though they have been modded and I am ordering the Ts instead of the Qs. Love my trebles too, will get back to you all when 1964 gets around to shipping the 'phones out.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2,085 of 7,417
[size=10pt]I'm diggin my quads but I'm not an audiophile, just a working bass player.  I'm given to understand that's what they were designed for so yeah, they're the shyt for my purposes.  That and they sound pretty damn good with my RB"d clip+.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back