1964 Ears
Oct 30, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #5,671 of 7,417
Can anyone comment on the effect of pneumatic pressures on the ear? E.g. with respect to ADEL tech

-Mike: I wish there was a little more technical information, because sound is the existence of pressure through matter. Sound won't travel in outer space at all. This claim of acoustical pressure and pneumatic pressure goes against everything I learned in my audio theory classes. Not trolling or hating at all! Just genuinely curious.  
-1964 EARS: Mike, a moving speaker in a sealed enclosure becomes an air pump. With ADEL that same speaker acts as it was in "free air". Hope that helps.  
- Mike: It does thank you!

EDIT: it basically lets pneumatic pressure out of the earphone and lets acoustical pressure to 'flow' into your ear. i'm no scientist, just taking that from what they say.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5,672 of 7,417
I'm interested in what kind of effects this pneumatic pressure has on hearing e.g. does it damage/impair hearing over time? What kind of frequency and intensity of IEM listening would result in that effect?

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #5,673 of 7,417
I don't know what your personal preferences are so it's hard to offer any targeted insight, but having owned the V3 for about a year now I would recommend the Qi or above if your set on customs. If universals are fine, I'd recommend the JVC FX850 over the V3 as long as strong isolation isn't your goal.

Thanks. I'm actually looking for a relatively fun custom with more emphasis on musicality. The V3 and Qi seem to fit the bill. Anyway, I'm hoping to audition the 1964 Ears collection sometime in the next few weeks. Looking forward to trying them out.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #5,674 of 7,417

Initial impressions: The Roxanne's highs / Mids seem alot more clearer and the V8s treble seemed a bit rolled off, ever so slighty. Bass boost on the Roxanne's set at 4o'clock - The bass response in the low end doesnt seem as controlled as the V8s. I feel this is a disappointment in the Roxanne's. Being used to the V8s bass for almost 6 months of heavy use ( daily driver ), the low end seems muffled for the Roxannes. Turning back the bass boost to 2o'clock. It feels much more controlled and functional to listen to. However not as punchy as the V8s. for being universal.... these things are huge... they barely fit in my ears.

Will give some more feedback after more listening sessions.

The bass on the Roxanne already lost to even the V6S, so I can't imagine with the V8 with 4 low freq drivers. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #5,675 of 7,417
Just like to put further input on the Universal roxannes against the V8s. 

Oh god. Turning the dial to 4oclock = Mids muffled, highs rolled off completely. Turn back 2oclokc, I am digging the sound sig. Very similar to the V8s, and seems to have solved my issue being that the V8s bass is so good, punchy that it was too much for my ears. Bring it back to 12 oclock, it reminds me of my brief time of using the UM Miracles. 

Will give more feedback.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #5,676 of 7,417
Just like to put further input on the Universal roxannes against the V8s. 

Oh god. Turning the dial to 4oclock = Mids muffled, highs rolled off completely. Turn back 2oclokc, I am digging the sound sig. Very similar to the V8s, and seems to have solved my issue being that the V8s bass is so good, punchy that it was too much for my ears. Bring it back to 12 oclock, it reminds me of my brief time of using the UM Miracles. 

Will give more feedback.

This reflects my experience with Rox too. My preferred bass position is from 12 to 2, anything past 3 is so veiled and muddied.

Also agree from a signature perspective the rox at two sounded a lot like the v8. I actually picked the v8 over the rox when I was looking for a smoother warmer darker "big sound" sig to complement my jh13fp. Was choosing between k10 and relearning to the rox until I heard the V6S and V8 at a show. Really liked both of them and I was like "holy crap this is like half the price of the rox/k10"! In fact part of my procrastination over k10/rox is that both seems to miss something but I thought I found IT with V8. Hard to pin to any single attribute but the V8 just seem to make music sound more lifelike and enjoyable. Or maybe just expectation bias for $2000 vs $900.... I'm sure the excessive addition cost for the very nice "wizard designs" (k10), or long wait time for rox colored in my assessment but the more I use my V8 I more I like them.

Received my v8 for a few weeks now and really highly recommend them. They scale really well with my sources and sounded excellent with my AK240 in balanced mode, and also pairs really really well with my Hugo. I find myself reaching for the V8 more than my JH13, fitear 334, and tralucent 1plus2 a lot more these days, especially with non-classical genres.

Having said that if I am limited to one pair of c/iem ten jh13 would be it as it is the most all rounded. Or maybe the V6S as it came quite close at half the price.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #5,677 of 7,417
This reflects my experience with Rox too. My preferred bass position is from 12 to 2, anything past 3 is so veiled and muddied.

Also agree from a signature perspective the rox at two sounded a lot like the v8. I actually picked the v8 over the rox when I was looking for a smoother warmer darker "big sound" sig to complement my jh13fp. Was choosing between k10 and relearning to the rox until I heard the V6S and V8 at a show. Really liked both of them and I was like "holy crap this is like half the price of the rox/k10"! In fact part of my procrastination over k10/rox is that both seems to miss something but I thought I found IT with V8. Hard to pin to any single attribute but the V8 just seem to make music sound more lifelike and enjoyable. Or maybe just expectation bias for $2000 vs $900.... I'm sure the excessive addition cost for the very nice "wizard designs" (k10), or long wait time for rox colored in my assessment but the more I use my V8 I more I like them.

Received my v8 for a few weeks now and really highly recommend them. They scale really well with my sources and sounded excellent with my AK240 in balanced mode, and also pairs really really well with my Hugo. I find myself reaching for the V8 more than my JH13, fitear 334, and tralucent 1plus2 a lot more these days, especially with non-classical genres.

Having said that if I am limited to one pair of c/iem ten jh13 would be it as it is the most all rounded. Or maybe the V6S as it came quite close at half the price.

How would you compare to JH13 to V6S in terms of sig? I'm on the fence right now between these two.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #5,678 of 7,417
What would you guys say is the difference in sound when listening to a universal V6S vs. a custom V6S?

I compared my V8 custom to the universal and they are indeed different. Won't say they are night and days but one can notice the custom has LESS bass, or I should say the bass sound tighter/faster than that of the universal. I feel the custom also gives better micro details/transparency but I'm not sure if it's just due to better isolation with custom and these might be the same in a silent environment.

Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #5,679 of 7,417
How would you compare to JH13 to V6S in terms of sig? I'm on the fence right now between these two.

Might not be the best peson to answer as I wasn't choosing between jh13 and v6s/v8 but was looking for a warmer sig to complement jh13.

To share my experience, I initially liked and ordered V6S over V8 as it is probably closer to my reference at that point which was jh13. I changed my mind when I send in my impression to V8 after demoing the universals again thinking V6S is too close to JH13 to justify another purchase.

Without taking price as a consideration I would pick jh13. I feel it gives me a slightly better balance between treble and bass. V6S has a better vocal staging. If you listen a lot to vocal over clascisl/instrumental stuffs than V6S is an excellent choice.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #5,680 of 7,417

I had the V6 which I sold off and was in the same spot as you. Deciding either the V6S or JH13.
I ended up with JH13 as it was noticeably better but not night and day better. Honestly at $650 vs $1099, the price doesn't do V6S justice. If you have a tight budget, i think saving the extra $450 to get a better DAP or another IEM would be more worthwhile.
I had similar impressions with kkcc, JH13 is a better all rounder with a more balanced signature.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #5,681 of 7,417

Wow. wat an experience that must have been. I myself have only listened to the Rox, V8s and UM miracles and honestly.... the  V8s never ever disappoint. The price point that 1964 have put for the TOTL CIEM is just amazing. 
The sound difference between the two is very hard to notice. 

I recently started to listen to some Jazz music ( coming from someone who is young, and listens  to alot of EDM - Trance ) oh my. I thought the V8s would blot the instruments and bass on some songs but damn, they reproduce lifelike sounds in such a small form factor. 

I think I will be keeping my roxannes for another week or so. But I doubt I can keep it as being universal, they are huge, bulky and quite annoying to keep in my ear. Custom I feel is the way to go when it comes to being a daily driver as the snug fit ( once correct ) is always satisfying to keep in the ear.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5,682 of 7,417
Info up on 1964 Adel CIEMs - 10 driver and 12 driver - nothing with less drivers - looks like the $1000 may be a deal

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #5,684 of 7,417
Oct 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #5,685 of 7,417
  Info up on 1964 Adel CIEMs - 10 driver and 12 driver - nothing with less drivers - looks like the $1000 may be a deal

Will it sound good though? The Roxanne is 12 driver and I thought the JH13 sounded a lot better with only 6 drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back