1964 Ears
Feb 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #1,381 of 7,417

Quote:
Congrats inmotion! I'm so glad others are finally getting the quads and can describe on their own what I've been saying all alone, yet not be accused of having some diabolical special interests...lol. Enjoy.

Not to discredit all those new 'happy' 1964 owners, but most of them seem to be people with very little experience with either (several) top-tier IEMs or quality full-sized headphones, and I should imagine that for most of them any set of dual/ triple-driver customs would impress them quite a bit. I'd like to see the opinions of more experienced head-fiers who also have a good reputation, but I doubt we will be seeing many.

The fact that you or anybody else might have got a free set of 1964 customs or a very 'generous' discount and not disclosing such information, does not translate as the product itself being necessarily bad. It only means that your/ their reviews/ comments/ impressions may likely be biased and that the company most likely tried to provide a very good set, also ensuring there were no cosmetic (QC) flaws. And no, that would not be "diabolical", it would just be dishonest. There are people who got free sets of JH13/ UE/ Westone or heavily discounted sets, but we can safely say, for example, the JH13 remains one of the best, if not the best, of all the customs out there as evidenced by all the feedback of so many owners, both (very) experienced and inexperienced.

BTW, one member with a bit of experience already, Rawrster, was not exactly raving about his 1964-Ts. Again, that doesn't mean the 1964-Ts are bad/ mediocre.

Quote:
Jermng has the ES5 and the quad, and while in our last conversation he said he prefers the ES5, he also stated that the Westone doesn't necessarily blow the quad out of the water. He said in some areas  they are close (with the edge going to the ES5), and in others they are equal. He might even had like the quads better in certain aspects but I would have to review our conversation. So we're talking two products that close, but one $400 to $500 more in cost. Now, they have a right to get their prices up some to compete in production costs, although I admit that doesn't favor us, the consumers who are a bit spoiled now by the great introductory deals they offered. On the other hand, if costs are going to increase, they will need to get a better handle on quality control of the shells (I didn't see any flaws in mine, but I do see a few others have described  flaws). As far as sound, they are superb based on anything I have heard at this point. And that's by leaps and bounds.

That is misleading information. Some features of the 1964 as well as the sets themselves have gone up in price or will be going up soon. The price difference you quoted was only for the introductory 1964 prices and without the new extra charges. Also, with Westone customs - at least in the USA - you can often get free ear-impressions and shipping, and even in some cases get a discount depending on which audiologist you visit. Taking that into account, it's more accurate to say that the price difference would be between $300 - $400 depending on where you live and who you purchase your customs from (in some cases in can be even less than $300).

Also, Jermng is only one head-fier who owns both, hardly scientific proof that the ES5s & 1964-Qs are as close as you seem to insist. Also, it's a well known fact that at a certain point as one gets higher in the SQ chain, the differences in SQ get smaller - the so-called law of diminishing returns - where one pays a lot of money for minimal increments in SQ. However, for some people, those small increments are worth the extra $400/ $500/ $700, and so on. Others, however, state that those differences are not always that small.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,383 of 7,417

Quote:
Hey guys. Just FYI, we're listening. Heave a great day.

Thanks for letting it be known. It was that listening which alerted Aleksey of a mistake for which he promptly emailed me. I haven't used customs before, but decided to use 1964 over JH, Alienears, and Livewires just because of the sheer value. They should be coming any day and I'll post my opinions.

I'm a musician who likes good sound, not an audiophile. Any decent custom has to be better than the e2's that I use on stage, At the time that I ordered them, 1964 ears ofefred the best value considering I could get a triple driver custom with art and separatley colored tips for the same price as a JH5. All customs look like they're made basically the same, and are all also individually tuned for phase and frequency response. The passive crossovers are all VERY simple and they all use the same Knowles and Sonion drivers. From my research, the biggest difference between brands is the tuning, while some are very scooped, others have a mid bump, others are peaky around the upper mids ("harsh cymbals" or "sibilance" as audiophiles would say, which is a peak around 4-6kHz). I was looking for good bass response with fast, accurate highs that aren't overbearing. If they smooth over some mids or highs, I'd find that a good thing, because live mixes rarley get the typical mix and mastering gloss.

Sorry for my rant. I'm just defending my purchase decision until they arrive...

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #1,384 of 7,417

Quote:
Hey guys. Just FYI, we're listening. Heave a great day.

You have no time for posting Vitaliy! Work, Work, Work! 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,385 of 7,417
@music_4321: I guess you are one of the few head-fi members who can spell my nick correctly :) You are right in that I was no wowed over by the 1964-T and your assessment seems accurate. These are not my first customs and my Livewire Trips which are my first had a wow factor as it was my first custom so it was an upgrade over what I had before. The 1964-T while being very good is not anything "new" but still very good and I would have no issues recommending them if someone likes that kind of sound.

It works out for me since I do plan on getting an upgrade to a 6 driver via UM so during that time I can use the 1964-T then. I have no problems saying that I would be very happy with just the 1964-T if I just had that and have been using that mostly the last couple of weeks.

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,386 of 7,417
Music music music....I really don't understand you sometimes, my bird friend. And clearly you don't understand me, but it's all good. You are who you are on head-fi.org.

Well, it appears to me that you did mean to discredit the owners whether they have experience with top tier or not. People know what sounds good to them. It either does or it doesn't. They can either here details or they can't. I've seen very few head-fiers (some, but very few) who don't know the difference from audiophile sound and the sound coming out of a cheap boom box. They may not have had that experience with an IEM, but they know bad, good, decent and great sound when THEY hear it.

Finally, you threw in that little bit about rawrster not raving about the triples, although it's ironic that it was put there under my comments to about other people finally getting the quads and hearing it for themselves. I have never heard the triple and I have never commented on it. So what if the triple doesn't wow rawrster? Does that mean it won't wow the next person? And if it doesn't, so what? Does that mean it's not a good or great custom? Does it mean that rawrster couldn't possibly hear the quad and not be blow aways? Of course it doesn't. But for you to throw that comment in - under a statement about the quad no less - makes it appear that you're an agent of chaos trying to derail any good will or compliments anyone has about this company and its products. Now, this may not be your intention, but that's the way it comes across to me and some others who have inboxed me. Why don't you order a pair for yourself (the triple and the quad) so that we may really be enlightened, Mr. Music my friend?
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Not to discredit all those new 'happy' 1964 owners, but most of them seem to be people with very little experience with either (several) top-tier IEMs or quality full-sized headphones, and I should imagine that for most of them any set of dual/ triple-driver customs would impress them quite a bit. I'd like to see the opinions of more experienced head-fiers who also have a good reputation, but I doubt we will be seeing many.

The fact that you or anybody else might have got a free set of 1964 customs or a very 'generous' discount and not disclosing such information, does not translate as the product itself being necessarily bad. It only means that your/ their reviews/ comments/ impressions may likely be biased and that the company most likely tried to provide a very good set, also ensuring there were no cosmetic (QC) flaws. And no, that would not be "diabolical", it would just be dishonest. There are people who got free sets of JH13/ UE/ Westone or heavily discounted sets, but we can safely say, for example, the JH13 remains one of the best, if not the best, of all the customs out there as evidenced by all the feedback of so many owners, both (very) experienced and inexperienced.

BTW, one member with a bit of experience already, Rawrster, was not exactly raving about his 1964-Ts. Again, that doesn't mean the 1964-Ts are bad/ mediocre.

That is misleading information. Some features of the 1964 as well as the sets themselves have gone up in price or will be going up soon. The price difference you quoted was only for the introductory 1964 prices and without the new extra charges. Also, with Westone customs - at least in the USA - you can often get free ear-impressions and shipping, and even in some cases get a discount depending on which audiologist you visit. Taking that into account, it's more accurate to say that the price difference would be between $300 - $400 depending on where you live and who you purchase your customs from (in some cases in can be even less than $300).

Also, Jermng is only one head-fier who owns both, hardly scientific proof that the ES5s & 1964-Qs are as close as you seem to insist. Also, it's a well known fact that at a certain point as one gets higher in the SQ chain, the differences in SQ get smaller - the so-called law of diminishing returns - where one pays a lot of money for minimal increments in SQ. However, for some people, those small increments are worth the extra $400/ $500/ $700, and so on. Others, however, state that those differences are not always that small.

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,387 of 7,417
Sigh... 
popcorn.gif

There are some fine ears in this thread, as I have read many of the posts here, and the comments of many of these posters on other pieces of equipment I am familiar with.  Our conclusions are not always the same, but mostly, the descriptions of equipment with which I am familiar, is similar to my own experiences.  In particular rawrster and Joker.  We have different tastes, but similar experiences with the same equipment.  That gives me some faith that I'll like my quads, and mild concern that I'll find the bass a bit intense.

What we don't have, is someone who has spent near $1000 or over on their customs (ES3, ES5, JH13, JH16, etc.) and has spent half that on a pair of 1964ears quads.  It would be nice to have their opinion on the 1964ears, just for a bit of reference.  Nice, not required.  My quads will either sound good to me, or not, and I will either perceive them as a good value, or not.

As to price rises - yup, they sure have.  For $25 I'd likely skip the clear tips (though I did order them in time...), but it is fair, you are mixing two instead of one batch of acrylic, pouring twice instead of once.  Added time, added material, added waste.  Same for the recessed cable sockets - added time.  I opted against them.  Same for custom artwork - added time, and as far as I know, all vendors charge around $50 for it.

There was a comment about a really perfect pair possibly going to a reviewer.  Duh!  I was in the restaurant business for many years.  If there was a food writer in the restaurant, I made sure everything that went to his table was perfect, and everything that happened at his table was perfect.  Who wouldn't ensure their best product was under review?

So, I am anticipating the quads will be really nice, and that I'll feel they are worth spending $540 for, after impressions ($35 in my case) and upgrade to the longer cable.  And yeah, I'll always be curious how they compare to the top tier grand plus customs.  We need headphoneAddict to buy a pair for review 
wink_face.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,388 of 7,417
Outside of jermng with the ES5 and quads don't think anyone has experience with one of the top customs but there is project86 and his JH13 and experience with others with the 1964-T

I hope you enjoy your quads aamefford. Similar to you if I had the option today I would not go for clear tips and I opted for no recessed even though they asked me if I wanted to change to that after I emailed them about it after they received my impressions. I don't plan to be looking at my customs more often than listening to my music.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,389 of 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was a comment about a really perfect pair possibly going to a reviewer.  Duh!  I was in the restaurant business for many years.  If there was a food writer in the restaurant, I made sure everything that went to his table was perfect, and everything that happened at his table was perfect.  Who wouldn't ensure their best product was under review?

Speaking of which, where is it? Did I miss the Quads review? First post still says pending. Sorry Eric for not having followed this thread all too closely as customs aren't my main interest, nevertheless I'm curious...

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #1,390 of 7,417

Quote:
Music music music....I really don't understand you sometimes, my bird friend. And clearly you don't understand me, but it's all good. You are who you are on head-fi.org.

Well, it appears to me that you did mean to discredit the owners whether they have experience with top tier or not. People know what sounds good to them. It either does or it doesn't. They can either here details or they can't. I've seen very few head-fiers (some, but very few) who don't know the difference from audiophile sound and the sound coming out of a cheap boom box. They may not have had that experience with an IEM, but they know bad, good, decent and great sound when THEY hear it.

Finally, you threw in that little bit about rawrster not raving about the triples, although it's ironic that it was put there under my comments to about other people finally getting the quads and hearing it for themselves. I have never heard the triple and I have never commented on it. So what if the triple doesn't wow rawrster? Does that mean it won't wow the next person? And if it doesn't, so what? Does that mean it's not a good or great custom? Does it mean that rawrster couldn't possibly hear the quad and not be blow aways? Of course it doesn't. But for you to throw that comment in - under a statement about the quad no less - makes it appear that you're an agent of chaos trying to derail any good will or compliments anyone has about this company and its products. Now, this may not be your intention, but that's the way it comes across to me and some others who have inboxed me. Why don't you order a pair for yourself (the triple and the quad) so that we may really be enlightened, Mr. Music my friend?
beerchug.gif

Eric, eric, eric, Eric... I really do understand you most of the time, my fine 'trumpet' friend.

Most people will agree, even those who "inboxed" you, I'm sure, and who no doubt are big fans of your "bird friend", that as long as we don't know or hear anything better, almost any earbud/ headphone will sound pretty amazing - it happened to me, and hundreds, if not thousands, others have had the very same experience; 10 years ago, for instance, the Sony EX71s were amazing to these ears. At the time there was no ES3X/ UM3X/ TF10/ CK100/ IE8, but those £25 Sony IEMs were pretty amazing! Let me remind you once again that I insist that doesn't necessarily mean the 64-T & 64-Q are bad sounding customs, but only that in my view we don't have enough impressions/ reviews from more experienced HF'iers to give us a clearer, more accurate picture of just how good these 1964 customs are. And all the changes in pricing are rather 'interesting', to say the least.

Seems to me that every single time someone comes and says they found their new 1964 IEM amazing that you need to validate your very own comments of just how 'great' they are and that you've always been 100% honest about your impressions. BTW, where is that 'much-anticipated' long review that was promised a few months back? Perhaps the 1964-Qs really are that good whether you got them for free or heavily discounted or not.

May I also remind that you that you failed to address the misleading bit of information you gave about the price difference between the ES5s & 1964-Qs. But no, I guess that must have slipped your mind or perhaps it's all just part of the hidden agenda your good "bird friend" has to discredit you & 1964 Ears.

FYI, at the moment I have no plans to order any 1964 products, although I did consider remolding my TF10s with them, but unfortunately 1964 charge quite a bit more than the competition. That, and the fact that I live in Europe - which might make the whole process even more expensive should I need a refit or two or three (!) - meant that I decided to sell my TF10s and not have them reshelled by 1964 Ears or anybody else, for that matter.

And just FYI, Westone paid all shipping charges both ways on the 3 refits I needed with my ES3X, ie they paid FedEx 48-hr Priority shipping to Europe - which is not cheap - 6 times. Those who know me a little better than you will know that my favourite sounding IEMs are Westones, but I'm certainly no Westone 'fanboy' or market their products in exchange for special 'favours'; I've publicly commented on some not so great things about some aspects of their products (QC) or even their CS a couple of times, but on the whole they remain a company I will very likely do business with again.

One last thing, it may be worth reminding people who visit this thread and are not sure about which customs to get, that JH Audio offer a 2-year warranty unlike most others, including Westone, who offer one year only.

Quote:

...There was a comment about a really perfect pair possibly going to a reviewer.  Duh!  I was in the restaurant business for many years.  If there was a food writer in the restaurant, I made sure everything that went to his table was perfect, and everything that happened at his table was perfect.  Who wouldn't ensure their best product was under review?...

Yes, that's the norm indeed, standard procedure, as I said already quite a while ago on this very thread. The problem arises when someone posts their views as if they were an ordinary customer/ head-fier and they DO NOT disclose the fact they got either a free sample or a very significant discount. There are quite a few cases here on Head-fi of people reviewing products, these 'head-fiers' passing as ordinary consumers when they are in fact marketing a product or managed to work out a nice deal in exchange for positive reviews/ posts/ comments, and very likely guaranteeing they'll get future freebies or 'generous' discounts.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,391 of 7,417

Quote:
Speaking of which, where is it? Did I miss the Quads review? First post still says pending. Sorry Eric for not having followed this thread all too closely as customs aren't my main interest, nevertheless I'm curious...

No james444, you have not missed my full quad review yet. I'll give you a heads up when I do post though.

As for perfections and imperfections, I have read issues on QC concerns on both the JH and ES5 threads. So I by no means would ever suggest that one shouldn't get whatever they require in appearance and sound if you're spending your hard earned money. My point is that these issues aren't just indicative of a company who charges less for its products. The same could be argued about some $100 universals I've heard that equal or in some ways beat some $400 (or better) top tier IEMs I've heard. Personally, for me (as an example), the Custom 3 clearly beats the SE535 in all ways. The DDM has beat some of my top tiers in bass response and outstanding mids. And I also have an upcoming review of ThinkSound's ts02 that I think can give the Copper and the MD a headache in a challenge, and is much cheaper than those two (I think ijoker has already expressed in a previous review that he likes some things the ts02 does better than he liked the MD). Some items are clearly better from a technical sense, but in the end it's all subjective and based on how you, the listener, perceive sound and what you consider as the highest acceptable quality.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #1,392 of 7,417
I didn't address the part about me allegedly giving misleading information, Mr. Music, sir, because I really didn't feel as it it needed addressing. But since you insist, I'll indulge you a little. I'm going by what I remember the quads costing when I bought mine, and what I remember the pricing as being when I was shopping and comparing other customs at the time, including the ES5. And it was a $400 to $500 difference. So, now it's a $300 to $400 difference? Fine. To be honest, I haven't priced any 1964 EARS products lately, or any other of the higher end customs. For all I know, the price could have went up for the ES5 and the others too. But, oh, I guess you caught me misleading the masses again..lol

By the way, my bird friend, if you would have been following this thread on a regular, you might know why I haven't posted my full review yet - as I have been pretty consistent in informing the regular thread viewers of my progress or lack thereof. I won't repeat why here now, but you can always search back. And as always, these little jabs about whether I paid for my quad or got a massive discount or whatever are not going to work. None of your business!! Although I would imagine if 1964 EARS did such a massive favor for me in giving me some free product and I hadn't written a review on them yet, I would think they would be quite angry at me at this point. Wouldn't you agree? Again, none of your business. The full review is coming, I have written enough about the quad that if you piece all that I have written together, well there would be more than enough material for a full review, but I do have other plans. Also, I'm sure many here, if they so choose to share with you, will tell you that I have answered many questions in full details in my inbox about the quad, in addition to my posts here. I've done this while tending to some very serious personal matters. So again, I ask what is your point and why? I do see you, Music. I hope others do see you too. Have a good evening sir.

Quote:
Eric, eric, eric, Eric... I really do understand you most of the time, my fine 'trumpet' friend.

Most people will agree, even those who "inboxed" you, I'm sure, and who no doubt are big fans of your "bird friend", that as long as we don't know or hear anything better, almost any earbud/ headphone will sound pretty amazing - it happened to me, and hundreds, if not thousands, others have had the very same experience; 10 years ago, for instance, the Sony EX71s were amazing to these ears. At the time there was no ES3X/ UM3X/ TF10/ CK100/ IE8, but those £25 Sony IEMs were pretty amazing! Let me remind you once again that I insist that doesn't necessarily mean the 64-T & 64-Q are bad sounding customs, but only that in my view we don't have enough impressions/ reviews from more experienced HF'iers to give us a clearer, more accurate picture of just how good these 1964 customs are. And all the changes in pricing are rather 'interesting', to say the least.

Seems to me that every single time someone comes and says they found their new 1964 IEM amazing that you need to validate your very own comments of just how 'great' they are and that you've always been 100% honest about your impressions. BTW, where is that 'much-anticipated' long review that was promised a few months back? Perhaps the 1964-Qs really are that good whether you got them for free or heavily discounted or not.

May I also remind that you that you failed to address the misleading bit of information you gave about the price difference between the ES5s & 1964-Qs. But no, I guess that must have slipped your mind or perhaps it's all just part of the hidden agenda your good "bird friend" has to discredit you & 1964 Ears.

FYI, at the moment I have no plans to order any 1964 products, although I did consider remolding my TF10s with them, but unfortunately 1964 charge quite a bit more than the competition. That, and the fact that I live in Europe - which might make the whole process even more expensive should I need a refit or two or three (!) - meant that I decided to sell my TF10s and not have them reshelled by 1964 Ears or anybody else, for that matter.

And just FYI, Westone paid all shipping charges both ways on the 3 refits I needed with my ES3X, ie they paid FedEx 48-hr Priority shipping to Europe - which is not cheap - 6 times. Those who know me a little better than you will know that my favourite sounding IEMs are Westones, but I'm certainly no Westone 'fanboy' or market their products in exchange for special 'favours'; I've publicly commented on some not so great things about some aspects of their products (QC) or even their CS a couple of times, but on the whole they remain a company I will very likely do business with again.

One last thing, it may be worth reminding people who visit this thread and are not sure about which customs to get, that JH Audio offer a 2-year warranty unlike most others, including Westone, who offer one year only.

Yes, that's the norm indeed, standard procedure, as I said already quite a while ago on this very thread. The problem arises when someone posts their views as if they were an ordinary customer/ head-fier and they DO NOT disclose the fact they got either a free sample or a very significant discount. There are quite a few cases here on Head-fi of people reviewing products, these 'head-fiers' passing as ordinary consumers when they are in fact marketing a product or managed to work out a nice deal in exchange for positive reviews/ posts/ comments, and very likely guaranteeing they'll get future freebies or 'generous' discounts.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,393 of 7,417
Music_4321: You seem like a reasonably intelligent person. Can you please summarize for us in one post exactly what your issue is, so we don't have to keep going back and forth? So far you keep reiterating that you have an issue with all the positive reports of 1964 Ears customers, because you don't feel that people have enough experience to properly judge. That may be a fair point, although I'll point out that between me, Joker, Eric, Jermng, and Rawrster, we have quite a bit of experience with other high end universals and even other customs. More experience is always welcome though. I do somehow feel that you are waiting for another experienced user to get some 1964 customs and be disappointed, so you can feel vindicated. Maybe I'm wrong, but please clarify: What is your point for posting here? If you are just trying to keep the enthusiasm in check then I can totally respect that. But consider that:

Rawrster says his 1964-T are better overall than any universal he has heard.

Joker says the same.

Jermng says his quads aren't as good as his ES5 but are still very enjoyable.

Eric likes his quads over a bunch of top tier universals.

I rank my 1964-T above my UE4pro and LiveWires dual driver customs, and above all the universals I've owned, and just slightly below the ES3X, which is one of my favorite IEMs of all time.

Is that a broad enough range of experience to at least give you a little bit of what you are looking for? As far as I can tell the people here are mostly concerned with giving good advise to potential new users, rather than overhyping the brand. I've been very clear about the sound sig of the 1964-T because I know it won't be perfect for everyone, yet for many it will be very pleasing. I'm not sure what more we can do here, aside from generally complaining about longer wait times or higher pricing (which is a whole different discussion altogether).

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,394 of 7,417

Quote:
I didn't address the part about me allegedly giving misleading information, Mr. Music, sir, because I really didn't feel as it it needed addressing. But since you insist, I'll indulge you a little. I'm going by what I remember the quads costing when I bought mine, and what I remember the pricing as being when I was shopping and comparing other customs at the time, including the ES5. And it was a $400 to $500 difference. So, now it's a $300 to $400 difference? Fine. To be honest, I haven't priced any 1964 EARS products lately, or any other of the higher end customs. For all I know, the price could have went up for the ES5 and the others too. But, oh, I guess you caught me misleading the masses again..lol

By the way, my bird friend, if you would have been following this thread on a regular, you might know why I haven't posted my full review yet - as I have been pretty consistent in informing the regular thread viewers of my progress or lack thereof. I won't repeat why here now, but you can always search back. And as always, these little jabs about whether I paid for my quad or got a massive discount or whatever are not going to work. None of your business!! Although I would imagine if 1964 EARS did such a massive favor for me in giving me some free product and I hadn't written a review on them yet, I would think they would be quite angry at me at this point. Wouldn't you agree? Again, none of your business. The full review is coming, I have written enough about the quad that if you piece all that I have written together, well there would be more than enough material for a full review, but I do have other plans. Also, I'm sure many here, if they so choose to share with you, will tell you that I have answered many questions in full details in my inbox about the quad, in addition to my posts here. I've done this while tending to some very serious personal matters. So again, I ask what is your point and why? I do see you, Music. I hope others do see you too. Have a good evening sir.

I've been following this thread all along. And I know of the alleged motives you've given for not posting your 'review'. Why have such motives not prevented you from writing quite a few posts here and elsewhere and answering so many PMs, I wonder? I should imagine that your commitment to writing such a review would be a priority over posting either here or in other threads.

As for 1964 Ears being "angry at this point" for not posting your 'review', I'd imagine that the work you've done so far - so many raving posts on this and other threads plus all those PMs you've mentioned - to 'talk' about their fine 1964-Qs and their excellent CS is already worth any proper review. I know that if I was 1964 Ears, I'd be very, VERY pleased with the 'enthusiasm','helpfulness' and 'eagerness' you've so far shown on this and other 1964 threads.

"I haven't priced any 1964 EARS products lately" I find this VERY hard to believe, I'm sorry to say; seems to me you've read every single post judging by all your responses/ posts. Lastly, if you claim to be a journalist and, therefore, knowing about the importance of accurate reporting, and all the more when you're supposed to be writing a 'full review', I find it very surprising that you were only talking about the price you claim to have paid and claim to not know the current price (or soon to be new price) of the Quads & the ES5s.

"I hope others do see you too. Have a good evening sir." I coud say the same about you.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,395 of 7,417
Excellent points @ project86, although I think it may fall on dead e-ears. I just think Music likes being an antagonist, even when there is really not clear reason for doing so. Yet, I respect his right to be himself and fault myself for not continuing on the path I have been on, to ignore his comments.

I would like to add, however, to project86's detailed points (for those who are newer to this forum) that I sold two top tier universals I owned because of how impressed I am with the 1964-Q sound. I sold the SM3 and FX700, generally spoken of the most lately when discussing say the top 5 top tier universals. I really really really liked the SM3, but I absolutely loved and adored the JVC FX700. I didn't sell them because I needed money. I sold them because quad has blown me away and overall I haven't heard anything that can beat it's sound signature to my ears. Now, please do understand that the quad is my first and only custom at this point. Everything else I've heard were universals, and out of those many have been top tier universals. So I AM IN NO WAY SAYING that the quad sounds better than any other custom. Again, the quad is the only custom I have ever heard. I am saying, however, that the quad sound light-years better to my ears than any universal I've heard (although the FX700 still slightly beat the quad in timbre). I hope we can move on. I don't feel that the exchanges between Music and I are helpful or beneficial to anyone trying to decide if a 1964 EARS' product is right for them or not. I apologize for not going with my first inclination to ignore him.

Quote:
Music_4321: You seem like a reasonably intelligent person. Can you please summarize for us in one post exactly what your issue is, so we don't have to keep going back and forth? So far you keep reiterating that you have an issue with all the positive reports of 1964 Ears customers, because you don't feel that people have enough experience to properly judge. That may be a fair point, although I'll point out that between me, Joker, Eric, Jermng, and Rawrster, we have quite a bit of experience with other high end universals and even other customs. More experience is always welcome though. I do somehow feel that you are waiting for another experienced user to get some 1964 customs and be disappointed, so you can feel vindicated. Maybe I'm wrong, but please clarify: What is your point for posting here? If you are just trying to keep the enthusiasm in check then I can totally respect that. But consider that:

Rawrster says his 1964-T are better overall than any universal he has heard.

Joker says the same.

Jermng says his quads aren't as good as his ES5 but are still very enjoyable.

Eric likes his quads over a bunch of top tier universals.

I rank my 1964-T above my UE4pro and LiveWires dual driver customs, and above all the universals I've owned, and just slightly below the ES3X, which is one of my favorite IEMs of all time.

Is that a broad enough range of experience to at least give you a little bit of what you are looking for? As far as I can tell the people here are mostly concerned with giving good advise to potential new users, rather than overhyping the brand. I've been very clear about the sound sig of the 1964-T because I know it won't be perfect for everyone, yet for many it will be very pleasing. I'm not sure what more we can do here, aside from generally complaining about longer wait times or higher pricing (which is a whole different discussion altogether).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back