1964 Ears
Jan 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #796 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
1964 have posted that the reason and the main difference between the livewires is that they don't use damping filters.
Drivers are the same but who knows about the configuration/tuning.

Think you might have misunderstood the response from 1964 Ears. They only claimed that the bass between 1964-D and LiveWire Duals is about the same but the Duals may have more mid-high because LW does not use damping filters. The physical drivers are not the same.

How would you know the physical drivers aren't the same?
Unless you have taken apart the t1 and compared.
1964 uses sonion and knowles interchangeably and there is no major difference between the high drivers of the duals vs the livewires t1 which uses the knowles for the high as well.
Despite the slightly smoother response on the 1964-D.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #797 of 7,417

Quote:
@Bullseye, I will post pictures this weekend.

@Jermng, I need more listening time, I have the Quads, and a remold of SM3 (by 1964). Too early to do serious comparison at this moment. Hopefully, in the near future, I will do a 3 way comparison of the Quads, the SM3 remold and the stock SM3 (a second pair in my possession). I use the stock gray tips on SM3. 

On a separate note, the remold service is very basic. only comes with the drawstring pouch. it's a nice black pouch with 1964 Ears logo printed in white, and perfect size. I think they did some testing before the remold, because when i shipped them off, i took off the stock bi-flange. Then when I got them back, with the broken plastic shells in a ziplog bag, there are clear silicon single flange tips on them. 

At bare minimum I bet they listen to all incoming reshell candidates to make sure they are functioning properly. That way if they end up with a dead driver when they finish, they would know it somehow happened during the process rather than blaming you for sending a damaged IEM. Aside from that they probably have an interest in hearing some of the various IEMs out there. Outside of HeadFi, many of these IEMs are not very well known, and I bet they want to hear how well they perform. I know I would.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #798 of 7,417
I might get something reshelled but I'll find out in a month or so when I expect my 1964-T back and see how good their build quality is. Pictures are one thing but seeing it in person is another.

That is an interesting point. I never would have thought of it. It's like free research for other earphones :p I wonder if they provide a frequency graph with their reshells. That would be nice if they did.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #799 of 7,417
no frequency graph with my reshell unfortunately. But then I didn't ask for one. 

IMO, there is room for improvement in their build quality, cosmetic wise. Fit is perfect though. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #801 of 7,417

Quote:
no frequency graph with my reshell unfortunately. But then I didn't ask for one. 

IMO, there is room for improvement in their build quality, cosmetic wise. Fit is perfect though. 

I think if I go that way I may ask for one. It's not that important but it is nice to have one included. By room for improvement you do mean something like there being a couple of bubbles but otherwise fine? I can handle that and I do like that I can choose multiple colors without an additional charge. On my 1964-T order which they should be getting soon I'm able to get a multi color shell without extra charge.  I don't know if that's normal or not with other companies.  The price seems comparable with UM once you take into account shipping and they have a pretty fast turn around so I have hope with them.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #802 of 7,417
Yep. i meant bubbles. there are even some on the faceplates. Not a big deal, *THIS PART HAS BEEN REMOVED*. For my quads, I have clear tips transition to translucent orange, and then transition to semi-translucent orange faceplate.

Quote:
Quote:

I think if I go that way I may ask for one. It's not that important but it is nice to have one included. By room for improvement you do mean something like there being a couple of bubbles but otherwise fine? I can handle that and I do like that I can choose multiple colors without an additional charge. On my 1964-T order which they should be getting soon I'm able to get a multi color shell without extra charge.  I don't know if that's normal or not with other companies.  The price seems comparable with UM once you take into account shipping and they have a pretty fast turn around so I have hope with them.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #803 of 7,417
Wow! your ciem looking cool. Looking forward to see your photo :)

Quote:
Yep. i meant bubbles. there are even some on the faceplates. Not a big deal, but just hearing all the raves about UM's build quality left me desiring more. For my quads, I have clear tips transition to translucent orange, and then transition to semi-translucent orange faceplate.

Quote:
Quote:

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #804 of 7,417
@jermng

How long does it take to arrive at your home since 1964ears told you that they have shipped it?

They told me that my ciem will be shipped on 10/jan. I don't know how long I have to wait.

P.S. I'm in Thailand. I think it will take as same duration as yours.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #805 of 7,417
Wow. They re-shell the SM3? Very interesting. I might get mine reshelled as well. Have not been using them much lately after I got my JH13s. I don't want to sell them too because I liked the sound so much. I'll inquire 1964 now.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #806 of 7,417

Quote:
@jermng

How long does it take to arrive at your home since 1964ears told you that they have shipped it?

They told me that my ciem will be shipped on 10/jan. I don't know how long I have to wait.

P.S. I'm in Thailand. I think it will take as same duration as yours.

About 5 days .... my Triples are also supposed to be shipped out on Jan 10 ... 

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #807 of 7,417

Quote:
Yep. i meant bubbles. there are even some on the faceplates. Not a big deal, but just hearing all the raves about UM's build quality left me desiring more.

It seems like one of those things that people who don't know what they are talking about rave about...

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #808 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. i meant bubbles. there are even some on the faceplates. Not a big deal, but just hearing all the raves about UM's build quality left me desiring more.

It seems like one of those things that people who don't know what they are talking about rave about...

Bubbles on the UM or 1964? None on mine ..... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back