1964 Ears
Jan 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #811 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. i meant bubbles. there are even some on the faceplates. Not a big deal, but just hearing all the raves about UM's build quality left me desiring more.

It seems like one of those things that people who don't know what they are talking about rave about...

I wouldn't say I've seen people rave about the build quality. Both Joker and myself, when reviewing the 1964-T, have pointed out that there are a few bubbles and that the build quality it not up to the UM standard. At the same time, they are not significantly inferior to most of my other customs, and certainly not as bad as my old Alien Ears C3 (the bubble king).

I added some better pictures to my review although I did have a tough time capturing the build quality. Here is a decent picture:

On the right side you can see a few bubbles, which is probably the worst spot. The other little issues that appear are caused by the HeadFi downscaling "feature" which makes everything look worse than it really is. Look on their Facebook page though and you can see lots of pictures. Those might be examples of their better builds, self selected because they turned out well... but again mine are pretty good.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #812 of 7,417

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. i meant bubbles. there are even some on the faceplates. Not a big deal, but just hearing all the raves about UM's build quality left me desiring more.

It seems like one of those things that people who don't know what they are talking about rave about...

I wouldn't say I've seen people rave about the build quality. 

Yeah ... build quality on the 2 pairs I've got so far have been good but I won't speak for every pair 1964 makes. Customs are handmade so there will be variables ..... I'm glad both of mine (one my wife's) were featured on their FB page though .. :) 

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #813 of 7,417
I haven't seen anyone rave about the build quality either. With that said, this is my first custom and the build quality is quite good to my naked eye. I have nothing else to compare it to custom-wise. I can compare it to other top tier universals I own or have owned. It's way better build quality than the SM3, the SE535's cable had a better builder quality, but the shells are about the same as I can remember (maybe giving a little edge to the quad). Mine were also featured on the FB page. I've just went over IEMs again with the naked eye and I can't find any bubbles. I think a few just want to be really negative about this company and it seems a bit unwarranted (not referring MINGF5). It's like there are some hidden agendas against this new company. I find that gross to make accusations without facts. MINGF5, if you're unsatisfied with the appearance or sound of your product, I think you should definitely send it back and let them fix it or whatever you two entities agree upon. They've been more than helpful toward me on any issues I might have had (admittedly I have have very few issues with my quad worth mentioning right now. Of course, I will mention any bad points I think there are whenever I get around to posting my full review).

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #814 of 7,417
WOW... I should have put the word "rave" in quotation marks. People here get very sensitive about words like these, such as "perfect", "absolute", "ultimate"... I'm happy to edit/remove my previous "rave" comment. As for the fact, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase. I said before and I'm saying again, the re-shell has cosmetic imperfection, but the fit is perfect. In a very common sense, they go into my ears, and i won't bother looking in the mirror once i put them on. I care a whole lot more about fitting than some tiny bubbles. I simply state the fact that there are bubbles (15 or so of them on each piece), and people here do use UM as the benchmark on build quality cosmetic-wise. It's also fact that I've not own or seen an actual UM products. I urge all of you take my comments with a huge pinch of salt. I don't want to draw any attention or unnecessary argument. HAPPY LISTENING TO MUSIC, guys.

EDIT: OK, I've removed my previous "rave" comment, end of discussion. You guys can go on and practice your free speech, just don't drag me into it.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #815 of 7,417

Quote:
WOW... I should have put the word "rave" in quotation marks. People here get very sensitive about words like these, such as "perfect", "absolute", "ultimate"... I'm happy to edit/remove my previous "rave" comment. As for the fact, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase. I said before and I'm saying again, the re-shell has cosmetic imperfection, but the fit is perfect. In a very common sense, they go into my ears, and i won't bother looking in the mirror once i put them on. I care a whole lot more about fitting than some tiny bubbles. I simply state the fact that there are bubbles (15 or so of them on each piece), and people here do use UM as the benchmark on build quality cosmetic-wise. It's also fact that I've not own or seen an actual UM products. I urge all of you take my comments with a huge pinch of salt. I don't want to draw any attention or unnecessary argument. HAPPY LISTENING TO MUSIC, guys.

EDIT: OK, I've removed my previous "rave" comment, end of discussion. You guys can go on and practice your free speech, just don't drag me into it.

I don't think people were referring to your "rave" statement .... maybe this time it's you being sensitive ... hee hee ... :) 

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #816 of 7,417
Yep. maybe i am. But people start quoting of someone's quote, and taking my original statement out of context. IT'S A RECIPE FOR DISASTERS. Personally, I don't like to quote somebody unless I'm directly answering his/her question. 

Jermng, 9homme and others, I will definitely post photos tomorrow. I wanted to do it in the evening, but I rather do it in natural sunlight to really justify the beauty of the shiny IEM shells. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #817 of 7,417
Hey, sorry if I offended. I wasn't trying to pick on you at all, and I was actually quoting Kunlun who had quoted you. I just disagreed with his statement implying that us 1964 owners don't have a point of reference to compare to. I have plenty of other customs so I feel qualified to judge the quality.

That being said, if I did notice people overstating the build quality aspect, I would respond to that as well and point out the flaws in mine. I don't want to build up hype as if these are perfect like UM, because that simply isn't true, and might lead to people being disappointed if they purchase a pair. I think that's the most fair way to address it.

I look forward to seeing your pictures whenever you get a chance to post them. I know how difficult it is to get a proper quality photo of customs so good luck.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #819 of 7,417
Yay :)
Let's all be great friends.
But that aside I think people expect way too much quality control for a custom-made product. If you aren't pleased because there are minute imperfections on the hard acrylic shells then that means you're just formulating a reason to send them back. To me build quality means a lot more than some air bubbles during the cooling process.

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #820 of 7,417

MINGF5's comments are the type of comments which are most valuable when talking about any product, new in the market or not. Any serious company values this type of customer, and in some instances even more so than the so-called experts.

The people so far who have raved -- yes, RAVED -- about these customs are: a) a musician whose wife is also a musician, b) one who has done PLENTY of reviews on head-fi and c) yet another who is getting customs for the first time, has a high post count, has almost kept a live update of events and mentioned time and time again a forthcoming lengthy review.

As I said before when some posters reacted quite negatively to (specially) my and Kunlun's comments a few weeks ago, it is sadly standard practice for any company, when they know who is going to review or talk/ write about their products, to offer excellent (customer) service and deliver a near perfect product.

It is the ordinary, unknown consumer -- here it is a head-fier, MINGF5, and a newbie at that -- who can provide some of the most valuable information to really be able to tell about certain aspects of a product and/ or company. Perhaps MINGF5 is not qualified to talk about audio aspects of his customs, I do not know, but he can talk about build quality, customer service, and so on. I am also convinced MINGF5 did not get a free set nor a special discount, and by that I don't mean to imply that anyone who raves about a product is getting a freebie or discount, but like I said before, there's quite a few people out there who will not tell the full story whenever they review a product. This happens in head-fi and quite a few other places - a conflict of interest. At least Joker - who wrote an excellent review, in my view - had the decency and honesty to say he got a discount.

I have no doubt that rawrster's customs -- and I have absolutely nothing against rawrster personally -- will turn out PERFECT. He's yet another customer/ head-fier who falls into the category of what I would call 'make-absolutely-sure-there-is-nothing-wrong-with-his-particular-IEMs-and-also-make-sure-you-treat-him-pretty-well'. rawrster posts very often, on a daily basis (6000 posts in 26 months), obviously 1964 Ears or any other new company will make sure he gets a pretty good product. He may or may not be a true audiophile but he is VERY present on this website and will likely generate more business.

I'm sure MINGF5, me or any new customer who contacts them will be treated quite nicely - after all businesses want your business. Real data comes after monies have 'exchanges hands' and a product is delivered.

And for those who will still insist that I'm 'attacking' 1964 Ears, perhaps they should look at my posts on the Westone 4 thread.

Unfortunately, MINGF5 was forced or felt the 'need' to go back and edit his post. This is all too common whenever someone dares to question a product or mention a negative aspect. A typical pattern develops - people who love the product in question - sometimes blindly - sadly will often 'gang up' and attempt to convince the 'naysayers' they are wrong, and if they happen to be a new member, with no fancy credentials...well, this happens in other walks of life, too. Head-fi, in that respect, is no different, a great community in some respects, but at times not quite so.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #821 of 7,417

Quote:
MINGF5's comments are the type of comments which are most valuable when talking about any product, new in the market or not. Any serious company values this type of customer, and in some instances even more so than the so-called experts.

The people so far who have raved -- yes, RAVED -- about these customs are: a) is a musician whose wife is also a musician, b) one who has done PLENTY of reviews on head-fi and c) yet another who is getting customs for the first time, has a high post count, has almost kept a live update of events and mentioned time and time again a forthcoming lengthy review.

As I said before when some posters reacted quite negatively to (specially) my and Kunlun's comments a few weeks ago, it is sadly standard practice for any company, when they know who is going to review or talk/ write about their products, to offer excellent (customer) service and deliver a near perfect product.

It is the ordinary, unknown consumer -- here it is a head-fier, MINGF5, and a newbie at that -- who can provide some of the most valuable information to really be able to tell about certain aspects of a product and/ or company. Perhaps MINGF5 is not qualified to talk about audio aspects of his customs, I do not know, but he can talk about build quality, customer service, and so on. I am also convinced MINGF5 did not get a free set nor a special discount, and by that I don't mean to imply that anyone who raves about a product is getting a freebie or discount, but like I said before, there's quite a few people out there who will not tell the full story whenever they review a product. This happens in head-fi and quite a few other places - a conflict of interest. At least Joker - who wrote an excellent review, in my view - had the decency and honesty to say he got a discount.

I have no doubt that rawrster's customs -- and I have absolutely nothing against rawrster personally -- will turn out PERFECT. He's yet another customer/ head-fier who falls into the category of what I would call 'make-absolutely-sure-there-is-nothing-wrong-with-his-particular-IEMs-and-also-make-sure-you-also-treat-him-pretty-well'. rawrster posts very often, on a daily basis (6000 posts in 26 months), obviously 1964 Ears or any other new company will make sure he gets a pretty good product. He may or may not be a true audiophile but he is VERY present on this website and will likely generate more business.

I'm sure MINGF5, me or any new customer who contacts them will be treated quite nicely - after all businesses want your business. Real data comes after monies have 'exchanges hands' and a product is delivered.

And for those who will still insist that I'm 'attacking' 1964 Ears, perhaps they should look at my posts on the Westone 4 thread.

Unfortunately, MINGF5 was forced or felt the 'need' to go back and edit his post. This is all too common whenever someone dares to question a product or mention a negative aspect. A typical pattern develops - people who love the product in question - sometimes blindly - sadly will often 'gang up' and attempt to convince the 'naysayers' they are wrong, and if they happen to be a new member, with no fancy credentials...well, this happens in other walks of life, too. Head-fi, in that respect, is no different, a great community in some respects, but at times not quite so.

While I do agree that reviews/impressions should always be taken with a grain of salt esp from a new company. There have been times when a company has provided an exceptional product to someone in head-fi with a good standing in head-fi and then after a favorable review crapped on the rest. Xin with his products come to mind as well as other MOT that has turned sour however I will say this. Unless 1964 Ears have been monitoring my posts or the posts on this thread and have looked up my posts on the color and product (I did post what color combination I was going to get as well as the product) then they should have no idea who I am when they receive my order which won't happen until either Monday or Tuesday. I sure hope they have better things to do than to monitor my posts although I do welcome a perfect fit, color, etc product. I don't like to be too negative a product but if it is bad I will let you know. I never told them who I was when in contact with them although I'm fairly sure they know that I am a head-fi member.

Time will tell whether this company will turn out to be what I hoped some budget custom companies were but never able to be or a company that can provide excellent customer service at a good price. I'm hoping for the latter and I have no reason to believe that won't happen but time will tell.

As for your option b I'm fairly sure you are referring to project86. It's my understanding that he did order a pair of 1964-T before any of the threads on 1964 Ears were out so it would have been difficult for them to know who he is.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #822 of 7,417
I'm not here to get into an argument, and I can totally understand your point. I agree with you that the true measure of a company with respect to customer service is how well they deal with the average customer. Not someone they know is highly active on HeadFi. Not someone they know is reviewing their product. From that standpoint though it is hard for us to EVER know much about a company, since the very fact that someone is here posting on HeadFi makes them suspect according to some people.

In many cases when I review something I simply buy it like a normal customer would, and the seller has no idea I'm going to review it. In a few cases I've gotten loaner samples which I later had to return. And occasionally I've even received free product to review, such as the case with the Monster Turbine Copper. I make sure to be very clear about the circumstances of my review. In the case of the 1964-T, I've already stated the situation. I did mention HeadFi to Vitaliy when discussing my color options, and I don't know if that means I got special treatment, but I think my review was very clear that my build quality is NOT perfect.

I don't think he needed to change his post, and I'm sorry if he felt that people "ganged up" on him. This thread should be a repository of user experiences, whether they are average, amazing, or terrible. I think that there is a certain "flavor of the month" hype that people instinctively rebel against, and that can cause friction where none is needed. But we should try our best to avoid it.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #823 of 7,417
Oh boy...... SMDH

And LOL...always when an issue is over and there's clarification, someone comes along and throws their two-cents (in this case, $100 of monopoly money) worth into the subject. It's funny how people make things about them when it isn't. But anyway, if that's what you do, have at it. And who cares if you one doesn't like whether someone says how they got their products or not. Sounds like a personal issue if you care, so get over it. It's not violating any head.fi rules, yet certain people want to cry like they are head.fi god or something.

As far as my review, I've post it when I'm good and ready. I am beholding to no one but me. The very person who made mention that I haven't posted my review yet keeps implying that my view won't be worth anything anyway since I have yet to say if I paid for my custom or not. So why would this person comment about me not posting my review yet? I would think they wouldn't be interested in reading my review anyway. And I'm fine with that. So what's the point?

Please get over it and just do what you would you do. It's not going to shape the opinions of those who see it differently. I mean come on. Is all of this necessary on every thread? Increase the peace...

beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #824 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
...I have no doubt that rawrster's customs -- and I have absolutely nothing against rawrster personally -- will turn out PERFECT. He's yet another customer/ head-fier who falls into the category of what I would call 'make-absolutely-sure-there-is-nothing-wrong-with-his-particular-IEMs-and-also-make-sure-you-also-treat-him-pretty-well'. rawrster posts very often, on a daily basis (6000 posts in 26 months), obviously 1964 Ears or any other new company will make sure he gets a pretty good product. He may or may not be a true audiophile but he is VERY present on this website and will likely generate more business...

While I do agree that reviews/impressions should always be taken with a grain of salt esp from a new company. There have been times when a company has provided an exceptional product to someone in head-fi with a good standing in head-fi and then after a favorable review crapped on the rest. Xin with his products come to mind as well as other MOT that has turned sour however I will say this. Unless 1964 Ears have been monitoring my posts or the posts on this thread and have looked up my posts on the color and product (I did post what color combination I was going to get as well as the product) then they should have no idea who I am when they receive my order which won't happen until either Monday or Tuesday. I sure hope they have better things to do than to monitor my posts although I do welcome a perfect fit, color, etc product. I don't like to be too negative a product but if it is bad I will let you know. I never told them who I was when in contact with them although I'm fairly sure they know that I am a head-fi member.

Time will tell whether this company will turn out to be what I hoped some budget custom companies were but never able to be or a company that can provide excellent customer service at a good price. I'm hoping for the latter and I have no reason to believe that won't happen but time will tell.

As for your option b I'm fairly sure you are referring to project86. It's my understanding that he did order a pair of 1964-T before any of the threads on 1964 Ears were out so it would have been difficult for them to know who he is.

When you say you " hope they have better things to do than monitor my posts", one of the things 1964 has to do is precisely monitor this very thread - and do it well - if they have any business sense. Head-fi, after all, is the ONE (customs) IEM forum worldwide. And because they do in fact monitor this thread - having even posted here in the beginning - they know about you (your choice of shell colours, amongst other things, being a clear giveaway). Again, nothing wrong with that, that is standard business practice. I'm only stating certain facts which may seem to go unnoticed by some. Some of these facts are pretty harmless and just that, mere facts. Others, when seen together, may paint a rather different picture.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #825 of 7,417
I edited my post is simply because certain words and language will cause confusion and misunderstanding here. Causing unnecessary argument is not my intent. Music_4321 misunderstood my original comment. I was talking about people who "rave" about UM's "flawless" build quality will not find it in 1964EARS yet. And hence, I think 1964EARS has room for improvement if they want to rival UM and others in the re-shell and buget custom market. It's in a series of conversation between rawrster and me. 

On a side note, I did get a discount on my re-shell, since i ordered the quads together. No, I didn't mention i was a head-fi'er. I'm not going to disclose too much detail, and anyone who is interested can negotiate with the company directly. 

By the way, one last thing, I know many people did left-blue-right-red custom. Has anyone ever thought of left-yellow-right-purple? i know it's funky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back