1964 Ears
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #766 of 7,417
I didn't really discuss it much but the triples are what really attracted me to 1964 Ears especially after Eric got them and then told me it probably wasn't for me. He is someone who has a good understanding of my tastes and I trust that opinion.

I did ask project86 a bit and he seems to think that they could coexist together. I'm expecting the 1964-T and my Livewire Trips to have similar technical ability but that they sound sound different. The 1964-T seems to be more neutral with a flatter response while the Livewires is a bit more midrange focused. I want something that is different but doesn't deviate too far away from my preferences and from the looks of it the quads does that while the triples do not. If they are similar in technical ability I have no problems with that and it's my understanding that to go higher I would need to spend a lot more and closer to $1000 and that is not something I am able to do right now.

Worst case scenario they both sound too similar and I sell the Livewires but I don't think that will happen. I'll probably get them remolded a bit so they fit better and if 1964 Ears does the 1964-T well I'll look into getting them remolded since they will already have my impressions so it saves me $50 but that's something I'll have to discuss with them if it comes to it.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #767 of 7,417

Quote:
I didn't really discuss it much but the triples are what really attracted me to 1964 Ears especially after Eric got them and then told me it probably wasn't for me. He is someone who has a good understanding of my tastes and I trust that opinion.

I did ask project86 a bit and he seems to think that they could coexist together. I'm expecting the 1964-T and my Livewire Trips to have similar technical ability but that they sound sound different. The 1964-T seems to be more neutral with a flatter response while the Livewires is a bit more midrange focused. I want something that is different but doesn't deviate too far away from my preferences and from the looks of it the quads does that while the triples do not. If they are similar in technical ability I have no problems with that and it's my understanding that to go higher I would need to spend a lot more and closer to $1000 and that is not something I am able to do right now.

Worst case scenario they both sound too similar and I sell the Livewires but I don't think that will happen. I'll probably get them remolded a bit so they fit better and if 1964 Ears does the 1964-T well I'll look into getting them remolded since they will already have my impressions so it saves me $50 but that's something I'll have to discuss with them if it comes to it.

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm guessing you'll be safe, in the sense that I doubt they'll sound overly similar to the trips.  With the customer service issues *supposedly* resolved now at Livewires, the budget custom market has become more interesting.  I still find that I wish UM was more aggressive in their pricing. 

1964 Ears is in a good position to carve out some market share.  I really think the entry level custom arena is going to experience the most growth over the next few years.  I'm not convinced the high end universals are going to be as dominant.     

I'd be leaning towards the quads if I were in the market.  I may look at getting a pair if the reviews come back positive, as the bassier sound sig is compatible with my tastes. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #768 of 7,417
Actually the prices that I see for UM are pretty competitive. I got my Livewires from the FS market and have no desire to try and see if things are fixed there. I'm hoping the 1964-T will allow me to just about finish my portable rig although I do plan on getting one last custom eventually but closer to the middle or end of 2011 if I do get one more.

The entry level custom has seen quite a bit of growth :p Look at JHA and their JH5 once the price went down to $399 after the UE4 was announced. Westone has their AC2 as well. It wasn't that long ago when UE5c was the entry level.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #769 of 7,417

Quote:
Actually the prices that I see for UM are pretty competitive. I got my Livewires from the FS market and have no desire to try and see if things are fixed there. I'm hoping the 1964-T will allow me to just about finish my portable rig although I do plan on getting one last custom eventually but closer to the middle or end of 2011 if I do get one more.

The entry level custom has seen quite a bit of growth :p Look at JHA and their JH5 once the price went down to $399 after the UE4 was announced. Westone has their AC2 as well. It wasn't that long ago when UE5c was the entry level.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if Livewires can actually recover from the hole they've dug themselves.  I've read project86 say that the trips are essentially a clone of the ES3X, and I trust his opinion quite a bit, but then I've gone and read accounts that seem to suggest that there are significant difference between the two (mostly on Jaben). 

I disagree on the topic of UM's pricing, but that's another can of worms altogether.  It's not that I think they have an inferior product and should therefore price themselves lower, it's just that I'd have a hard time going with them over JH or Westone if price is basically equal.   

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #771 of 7,417
1964 have posted that the reason and the main difference between the livewires is that they don't use damping filters.
Drivers are the same but who knows about the configuration/tuning.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #772 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if Livewires can actually recover from the hole they've dug themselves.  I've read project86 say that the trips are essentially a clone of the ES3X, and I trust his opinion quite a bit, but then I've gone and read accounts that seem to suggest that there are significant difference between the two (mostly on Jaben). 

I disagree on the topic of UM's pricing, but that's another can of worms altogether.  It's not that I think they have an inferior product and should therefore price themselves lower, it's just that I'd have a hard time going with them over JH or Westone if price is basically equal.   

Livewires are fine now.
In fact I would be confident to suggest buying some from Marc.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #773 of 7,417

Quote:
1964 have posted that the reason and the main difference between the livewires is that they don't use damping filters.

That's not complete true. The Livewires I have is a triple driver but with a single bass driver in the CI22955 and the highs/midrange is handled by the TWFK. The 1964-T is a dual bass and single high so it is both the drivers as well as the crossover, tuning, etc. that is different.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #774 of 7,417

Quote:

Can you post the link to that?

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #776 of 7,417
I'm sorry but I was referring to the livewires duals vs the 1964-D
Sorry about the confusion.

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #778 of 7,417
You should read project86's review on the 1964-T
Anyway I went to the audiologist today and had my impressions and sent them out to 1964 Ears. Hopefully they will arrive Friday or Monday.

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #779 of 7,417

Quote:
Can someone comment on built quality? How does it compre to UM or JH or Westone? Some pics, maybe?

Only two people I know of here - jermng and project - have heard the 1964 EARS products and other customs. But for me, personally, the built quality is outstanding on the quad. If you go back a few pages you find actual photos of my quad. They look pretty spot on (but better with the naked eye).

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #780 of 7,417

Quote:
You should read project86's review on the 1964-T
Anyway I went to the audiologist today and had my impressions and sent them out to 1964 Ears. Hopefully they will arrive Friday or Monday.

Congrats can't wait see the complete product what color did you choose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back