1964 Ears
Apr 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #4,801 of 7,417
In the beginning few hours, I would say it sounded like doo doo especially the vocals.   Now, after a few hours, it sound more detailed and clear, and vocals sound much better.  I like them.  :L3000:   I noticed they added more bass to their 3 driver edition since the previous triples which lacked bass.

Might be brain burn in.. :p

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #4,803 of 7,417
Is it just me or did my new V3 take some time for it to open up?  I didn't believe in burn-in until I noticed my V3 sound more open after few hours of listening.  It sounds more detailed after it was used for a few hours.

Less 'opening up'/'burning in' & more you adjusting to the sound.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #4,804 of 7,417
I don't give a sh**t if my burn-in is placebo or not, it opened up very nicely now that I've used it for couple days.  I hear more micro-details now.  
L3000.gif

I hope it opens up more to be the best headphone ever.  
biggrin.gif
 Joking.  I don't like to believe in burn-in, but it sounds much better than when I got it first. I may have to make a call to Knowles or Sonion to investigate this.

As long as Mariah's voice is providing it's textures I know this mutha has opened up.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #4,805 of 7,417
  I don't give a sh**t if my burn-in is placebo or not, it opened up very nicely now that I've used it for couple days.  I hear more micro-details now.  
L3000.gif

I hope it opens up more to be the best headphone ever.  
biggrin.gif
 Joking.  I don't like to believe in burn-in, but it sounds much better than when I got it first. I may have to make a call to Knowles or Sonion to investigate this.

As long as Mariah's voice is providing it's textures I know this mutha has opened up.

Whilst I don't believe in "burn-in" as such, I do believe in "warm-up" as it were.  That is the iems have been in different temperatures, not used etc.  So an hour or so's use and things start to settle down to what they should be.

Any way glad you like them, I keep playing about with the iem designer (great idea, why don't other's have this?) and coming up with some ideas.  So far I have done :-

a) Black faceplate, clear shells and the gold standard logo.

b) Black faceplate,  red translucent (which I really like atm).

Who know's one day I may even click "buy"!

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #4,806 of 7,417
Whilst I don't believe in "burn-in" as such, I do believe in "warm-up" as it were.  That is the iems have been in different temperatures, not used etc.  So an hour or so's use and things start to settle down to what they should be.

Any way glad you like them, I keep playing about with the iem designer (great idea, why don't other's have this?) and coming up with some ideas.  So far I have done :-

a) Black faceplate, clear shells and the gold standard logo.

b) Black faceplate,  red translucent (which I really like atm).

Who know's one day I may even click "buy"!
JH, UM and such have been using them for a long time.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #4,808 of 7,417
I'm a big fan of black caps and clear shells - my 8A's were smoke caps and clear shells and since Heir put their logo on the side, the cap was a little plain for my tastes and I ended up wishing I had gone solid black on the caps. With my JH16FP reshells, I didn't make the same mistake twice.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #4,809 of 7,417
I got my V6 Stages in this past week just in time for the opening of our new show this season!

I can't say enough good things about these! For the past several years I have used various Shure universals ie. E2s E3s SE 425s as well as sennheiser ie8s and ie80s. I honestly feel like these V6Ss have brought my performance to a whole new level! They are saving my hearing on stage and most importantly my voice! For the first time in my career I can sing easy but at the same time with confidence and support all while hearing everything! Fit and finish is amazing and exactly what I was looking for!!!

T.C. Barnette
www.tcbarnette.com

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4,810 of 7,417
After extended listen of my V3, I have to conclude that these have significantly more bass quality than from what I remember of my triples(triples were 2-way 3 drivers, V3 is 3-way).  The again, I was going from my CK10 to these, so my ears would be highly sensitive to bass since CK10 is close to neutral when it comes to bass, but after long listen I feel there is good amount of bass.  I like the stage and imaging, It's counter-intuitive how CIEMs provide such imaging.  I was listening to some opera and it feels like I'm there, and I can hear the vocals placement change just like on stage.  So imaging is there.  It might be my brain burning-in, but the way it sounds now from how it sounded initially, I want to believe in BA burn-ins.  

I cannot imagine any more bass quantity.  I think if you are a bass head, 1964 Ears should provide given what I've experienced with the V3.  I think any more bass quantity on top of V3 would be too much for me.  V3 doesn't sound neutral to me because of the bass quantity, also the mids are a bit forward which I don't mind as I love to hear details of vocals.  I don't hear excessive sibilance like my CK10, just enough to provide the necessary details.  But after extended listening, I feel like I'm hearing pretty good amount of details with my setup.  Is the details up to the level of my HE-6? No, and I'm not sure if any iem can get up to that level. 

My impressions I sent was closed mouth, and the fit is fine.  1964 told me there is 20% chance that fit will not be right with closed mouth impressions, and I guess I fall in the 80%, as Hidition recommend closed mouth unless you will be using them on stage as a singer.  

I'm curious how it scales with more accurate source, I shell see.  

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #4,811 of 7,417
SilverEars: Thanks again for the impressions. I'm interested in 1964 Ears CIENs, since they're a local company and I can only get reliable fit with IEMs when using Comply tips. Out of their lineup, I think the V3 and V6-Stage are probably the best choice for me - warm side of neutral without being too dark/muddy. Need to make some time to get over to their lab and test out the universal versions.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #4,812 of 7,417
Did some more extended listening.  Some flaws I found, is the lower mids, it's way too loose, and not refined.  It's very muffled on certain recording, and no clairity there.  I'm quite disappointed in this regard.  I think the stage and imaging is great, but it does have it's flaws.  Like I said, the lower mids just doesn't sound very good, and feel like there should be more refinement.  I'm not a fan of the bass.  To me lower mid bass is very important since it shaped the sound, and this does poorly.  Hopefully, the V6 would be an improvement in this regard.  

I agree with joker's impressions also, I think it can be better, especially the mid bass.  I think what they did was boost the mid bass and it came out muddy. It sound like that bass boosting amp that was hyped up for awhile.   I think it was called Zo??  Of course I'm exaggerating, it's not quite as bad, but similar in affect.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #4,813 of 7,417
Did some more extended listening.  Some flaws I found, is the lower mids, it's way too loose, and not refined.  It's very muffled on certain recording, and no clairity there.  I'm quite disappointed in this regard.  I think the stage and imaging is great, but it does have it's flaws.  Like I said, the lower mids just doesn't sound very good, and feel like there should be more refinement.  I'm not a fan of the bass.  To me lower mid bass is very important since it shaped the sound, and this does poorly.  Hopefully, the V6 would be an improvement in this regard.  

I agree with joker's impressions also, I think it can be better, especially the mid bass.  I think what they did was boost the mid bass and it came out muddy. It sound like that bass boosting amp that was hyped up for awhile.   I think it was called Zo??  Of course I'm exaggerating, it's not quite as bad, but similar in affect.

Yes you won't find that loose bass in the V6 category, but it depends on your source as well.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #4,814 of 7,417
Delete.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,815 of 7,417
Fun thread so far.  I am really thinking of ordering the V8.  I have an old pair of UE10s that still sound nice when in a relatively quiet room.  But when flying I would like a bit of a bass boost just to keep up with the background rumble.   The intro price for the V8 also helps make it pretty tempting!    

Any opinions regarding recessed plugs?  Might rule out aftermarket cables, but changes are good I would not be getting into that level of tweaking anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back