1964 Ears
Oct 14, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #2,896 of 7,417
Quote:
My experience has been completely different. Their being not engaging would probably be my last choice of words. I am rediscovering my music library once more and enjoying songs that I didn't care for before. But that just goes to show that we all hear differently. Or does it? :) 

It's not something I blame the headphones for.  I think it depends on what your listening experience with other headphones is (I see yours is pretty extensive), and what your preferred sound signature is.

They're damn good, as I've said several times.  I honestly can't argue with any of the praise that people have bestowed on these--it is well deserved.  My thing is just down to personal preference--I prefer cans with a very distinctive signature, like my PRO900 and my woody SR225i.  The problem with each of those headphones was that they had specific genres that they were absolutely astounding at, but were lacking for others; that's why I had two sets of $300+ headphones. 

I bought the Q because I wanted a set of headphones that did everything as well as those two do, in a more portable form factor.  The Q comes really, really close, but they're not as sweetly musical as my SR225, nor or they as brutal as the PRO900.  They're not dry, but their sound isn't as colored as either set of my full-size cans.  I am having to get used to that.

Honestly, I think the extra pair of drivers 1964 is talking about doing might give me enough top-end extension to enjoy these the way I want to. We'll just have to see.  After another week or two of listening to the Q and being off "the juice" (my PRO900), I'll probably write a full-length review.  I want to give myself time to get used to the signature and break my head in.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2,897 of 7,417
I've been pumping jazzy, ambient house music through the Audinst amp + Quads all day.  Pulsating bass lines feel bottomless as they possess a punch I can feel in the pit of my throat.. all this, while maintaining exquisite control & speed.

As I've said before, the Quads sound excellent unamped (from the iPhone 4), but amping them makes it possible to hear what they're truly capable of.  The most dramatic improvements I heard was:

-noticeably better "end-to-end" control.. I've never heard bass this tight, fast, deep, and controlled from an IEM (let alone a full sized phone).  It's rare to hear such quality bass that's as authoritative as this but isn't all midbass & doesn't bleed into the midrange whatsoever.

-a crisper, more present treble range.  It remains a step behind the bass and midrange, but it's got better presence when amped and the sparkle is more apparent.  When evaluating the treble's presentation when in reference to how the bass and midrange are tuned, I can fully appreciate what 1964Ears was going for in terms of the overall sound.  It isn't as bright or sparkly as some of my other phones... but it's not meant to be either.  Considering how smooth and natural the rest of the fq spectrum is tuned, an overtly bright or sparkly treble would throw the sound out of whack, IMO.  Amping the quads (with the Audinst) brings out just the right amount of treble w/o drastically altering the smooth 1964 "house" sound.

-an expansive, richer midrange presentation that's incredibly lively and natural.  It's smooth but slightly forward and has a very expansive feel to it.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #2,898 of 7,417
I just rolled a set of Voshkods into my EF2A.  They're a much better fit for the Q than the Mullards I had in it.  I still don't understand how a couple of little vacuums tube getting all hot and bothered and making some electrons excited can possibly change the FR or any of the unquantifiables that we often describe around here, but they did.  I should read up on the Science.

Bass extension is deeper (down from ~30hz to ~22hz) and a bit punchier around 100hz, and the upper midrange and lower treble--particularly where most female vocalists in the lower registers are--is a little more forward now.  Everything sounds smoother and the presentation of vocals is more pleasing now--more along the lines of my woodied Grados. 

I am not a proponent of a small change to an existing system making a significant change to the way headphones sound, but vacuum tubes can create a small but measurable difference in FR.  The changes the Voshkods made work very well with the Q, and they have brought my system more in line with what I was looking for when I bought the Q.  I could still use a little more top-end excitement, but that's what an EQ is for.  :wink:

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #2,899 of 7,417
After almost 6 months, I finally sent mine in for a refit.  Wish I'd done it sooner.  I've only put 2 or 3 hours on them, but it looks like they may have nailed it.  I'll listen a bit more before I decide.  Left was loose, poor seal easily broken.  It is now a good tight seal, and a close match to the right.  They accomplished this through a verbal description, and the UE fit guide, which I used as accurately as I could.

One note, if you are considering a refit, send it in the first time within the 30 days.  I somehow thought if they were notified within 30 days you were good as far as free refit.  Turns out you need to actually send them in the first time within 30 days.  It makes sense to me now.  Anyway, it cost me $40 for delaying.  Easy fix for that, don't dawdle as I did...

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,901 of 7,417

Quote:
Hi all. The reason it has to be done within 30 days is because we can still backtrack our work and see if anything could have been done to make a better fitting product. Thanks for your understanding:) 

Yes, Aleksey explained this to me, hence the note that it makes sense to me now.  I should have clarified a bit more.  I'll throw in my 2 cents, since I do like to support businesses that are well run with excellent customer care:

1964 Ears has always been extremely courteous, helpful and timely in my dealings with them.  The longer turnaround for refits some had mentioned quite a while back in this thread is down below a week in my case - Excellent as far as I am concerned.  My quads sound great, by the way - they were good before the refit, but apparently the seal did allow for a slight leakage I didn't really detect until it was gone via the refit.  Isolation is also much improved.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #2,902 of 7,417
I'm still trying to figure out how you can really tell that there is a slightly improper seal. I mean they stay where they are in my ears and don't move much but I've never had that sucking effect while I am taking them out. And I've never heard the bone shaking bass from my Quads either and they seem to be a bit treble heavy. I wonder if I have a bad seal as well 

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #2,904 of 7,417

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how you can really tell that there is a slightly improper seal. I mean they stay where they are in my ears and don't move much but I've never had that sucking effect while I am taking them out. And I've never heard the bone shaking bass from my Quads either and they seem to be a bit treble heavy. I wonder if I have a bad seal as well 

The last thing the Quads are would be treble heavy. Usually, a seal is what it says it is - that very little ambient sound is being let in. So on a busy road, you will only be able to hear the loudest / nearest cars, and nothing else. On the subway, very little of the noise. On average I find the good seal to be better than those of universals (yes, even Etymotic ER4 with triple flange). So you may want to take out your universals and compare. If the Quads are isolating less than those, you have a problem.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #2,905 of 7,417

Quote:
What is the general consensus on the soft canal option? I'm getting my Quads remade and I'm not sure whether to go for it or not. Is it true that the seal and comfort is better but they're might not last long before getting damaged?

I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but I'm very glad I got the soft canals, they are extremely comfortable and I don't loose seal when I sing. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #2,906 of 7,417

Quote:
The last thing the Quads are would be treble heavy. Usually, a seal is what it says it is - that very little ambient sound is being let in. So on a busy road, you will only be able to hear the loudest / nearest cars, and nothing else. On the subway, very little of the noise. On average I find the good seal to be better than those of universals (yes, even Etymotic ER4 with triple flange). So you may want to take out your universals and compare. If the Quads are isolating less than those, you have a problem.

This echoes my experience.  I had good bass, rolled treble, and even vocals were well centralized when they should be.  Isolation was on par with my past experience with universals, and a bit better than my DT-1350's.  After the refit, the isolation is at or exceeding what you get with solid or foam earplugs, the bass is a bit more fleshed out, and separation and sound stage are a bit improved.  Where I noticed it most was the isolation.

@Yuceka - I'm no expert, though I occasionally play one in the forums...  It sounds like a refit might be in order.  Definitely worth an email or phone call to 1964 Ears.  I am very glad I finally got around to it.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2,907 of 7,417
Thank you for the help with the fit issue.

On a side note, I wonder when is the estimated time for the 6 driver 1964 Ears? 

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2,908 of 7,417

Quote:
Thank you for the help with the fit issue.

On a side note, I wonder when is the estimated time for the 6 driver 1964 Ears? 

I wouldn't expect any new iem products this year. The development of these products takes time. Hopefully we'll hear something new from 1964 EARS some time in 2012.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #2,909 of 7,417
I am wondering if I take two sets of quads and reshell the drivers into a single customs, how will it sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back