1964 Ears
Oct 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2,881 of 7,417
What is the general consensus on the soft canal option? I'm getting my Quads remade and I'm not sure whether to go for it or not. Is it true that the seal and comfort is better but they're might not last long before getting damaged?

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,882 of 7,417
Well, I've decided to go with the soft canal anyway. I'll probably regret it but I'd do that either way. Even though my previous pair didn't fit perfectly I should be able to post a few thoughts on the different fit, comfort and sound quality. Should have them within 2 weeks hopefully.

I've been holding off on a proper review of the Quads until I get the fit right.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2,883 of 7,417
I don't have personal experience as I am waiting for mine to ship but I originally elected for the soft canals but then was talked into switching by people on this board. I think the main criticism is that they form a vacuum in your ear and the suction can get annoying. I'm not exactly sure what that sensation is like but enough people said they regretted getting them that I decided to go with the standard canals.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #2,884 of 7,417
What is the general consensus on the soft canal option? I'm getting my Quads remade and I'm not sure whether to go for it or not. Is it true that the seal and comfort is better but they're might not last long before getting damaged?

Well, I've decided to go with the soft canal anyway. I'll probably regret it but I'd do that either way. Even though my previous pair didn't fit perfectly I should be able to post a few thoughts on the different fit, comfort and sound quality. Should have them within 2 weeks hopefully.

I've been holding off on a proper review of the Quads until I get the fit right.

I don't have personal experience as I am waiting for mine to ship but I originally elected for the soft canals but then was talked into switching by people on this board. I think the main criticism is that they form a vacuum in your ear and the suction can get annoying. I'm not exactly sure what that sensation is like but enough people said they regretted getting them that I decided to go with the standard canals.

ANSWER:

Hi, 
I have the soft canals and variable ports. I don't think it was a good choice because, when I open the ports even with the smaller pore,  the bass is almost washed out, so I use it always closed.
I get a small vacuum, but still annoying to me, that I think could be caused by the soft tips. I am wondering if the normal acrylic wouldn't be more comfortable then the soft canals, for those of us who can't stand the vacuum created by IEMs.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #2,885 of 7,417
Yeah, I had read some of the comments already. There were 2 negative which were that one and another saying they split. Also a couple where they said they were fine. I don't really get the connection between the soft tips and a vacuum effect plus I asked Aleksey if my canals were a good size for soft tips unlike the guy whose tips split. I also think that a slight vacuum and tighter, softer seal might be a good thing.

I'm going to sleep on it and I've already paid for the soft tips and told them to go ahead but I don't think they're actually making them just yet so I can change my mind probably in the next few days.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2,887 of 7,417

Quote:
...Any chance I can get you to post a screenshot of your EQ?  ...

Sure. Here are a few of my actual settings I'm using.

PowerAmp uses it's own higher quality decoders for some superb sound. It's a major difference over my iPad and iPod, I've pretty much ditched them at this point.

The top one called "Mid Boost" is just a light boost I use for most electronic and rock music. The "Full Boost" I use for softer music, ambient, classical, and some lower quality (192kbps) MP3s to bring them back to life.

If anyone uses this app its fairly important to turn off the DVC (Digital Volume Control), it's great for low end headphones but introduces distortion which is audible with higher end gear. Same goes for the "Stereo X" stereo expander. It does widen the sound stage but at the expense of cleanliness, which isn't worth it imo; though some people say the quality hit is negligible if you turn it up to 25% or less.

The "limit" feature is just awesome though. With DVC off you can be more likely to overboost your levels. The limiter puts an end to this. Even if i max the bass levels i can't get clipped bass when the limiter is on.

I'm digging the player itself too, great features for shuffling in and out of artists, genres, albums, etc. Full iTunes compatibility using iSyncr for WIFI syncing etc. Great player.

(Click shot for larger view)

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,888 of 7,417

Quote:
Has anyone observed their clear cables turning green? I think mine from the upper area is starting to look more and more greenish everyday. Hmmmm....

At first, the oxidation bothered me since it was only partially and looks kinda ugly. Now I don't feel so since the entire cable has turned green
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #2,889 of 7,417

Quote:
At first, the oxidation bothered me since it was only partially and looks kinda ugly. Now I don't feel so since the entire cable has turned green
tongue.gif

I wish I knew about this before I ordered. I just hope it won't cause any degradation on the sound in the future

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #2,890 of 7,417

Quote:
I wish I knew about this before I ordered. I just hope it won't cause any degradation on the sound in the future

Not to worry, I didn't hear any degradation in sound before and after oxidation
etysmile.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #2,891 of 7,417

Quote:
Not to worry, I didn't hear any degradation in sound before and after oxidation
etysmile.gif

It should actually improve.  Green means Go so the electrons actually move faster.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #2,894 of 7,417
Sorry, I guess the orks thing was a little nerdy, even for head-fi.  probably only Chris_himself would get it.

Anyway, I spent the last two days without listening at all, and it's been about a week since I've heard my PRO900.  Now that I'm getting a little more used to the signature, I'm enjoying them more, but I still don't find them as engaging as either of my full-size cans.  It's so weird, because the audiophile in me completely digs how accurate they are and I know they sound good with everything, but I haven't found that song that I just can't bring myself to skip yet...you know what I'm talking about? 

That one song that the headphone does everything perfectly, and you get chillbumps and just close your eyes and drift, carried away on bed of blissful audio perfection...

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #2,895 of 7,417
My experience has been completely different. Their being not engaging would probably be my last choice of words. I am rediscovering my music library once more and enjoying songs that I didn't care for before. But that just goes to show that we all hear differently. Or does it? :)

Quote:
Sorry, I guess the orks thing was a little nerdy, even for head-fi.  probably only Chris_himself would get it.

Anyway, I spent the last two days without listening at all, and it's been about a week since I've heard my PRO900.  Now that I'm getting a little more used to the signature, I'm enjoying them more, but I still don't find them as engaging as either of my full-size cans.  It's so weird, because the audiophile in me completely digs how accurate they are and I know they sound good with everything, but I haven't found that song that I just can't bring myself to skip yet...you know what I'm talking about? 

That one song that the headphone does everything perfectly, and you get chillbumps and just close your eyes and drift, carried away on bed of blissful audio perfection...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back