1964 Ears
Dec 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #271 of 7,417
So, @ project86, why do you find the Miracle and JH13pro better? What extra something are you getting out of those?

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #273 of 7,417

I looked @ jermng, but no, not yet. I was disappointed not to see them, but maybe they're waiting for me to post them myself. I can tell you, however, they will be the carbon faceplate, but with a unique design on them (yes, the carbon are beautiful at face value, but I wanted my own signature so to speak). I can't wait.
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice pics @ project86, and thanks for posting at jermng
beerchug.gif

Hey Eric, they posted a few new ones on facebook along with mine .... any of them happen to be yours? :wink:

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #274 of 7,417
Awesome :) Can't wait to see yours with a twist to the carbon design. 

Tell you a secret - I'm thinking of ordering the triples too (like the low-mid bump for "fun" music listening) and was gonna go for the carbon design (cos I have a soft spot for carbon and they'll really match my watch with a carbon faceplace).... now I really wanna see your carbons for some inspiration!

Quote:
I looked @ jermng, but no, not yet. I was disappointed not to see them, but maybe they're waiting for me to post them myself. I can tell you, however, they will be the carbon faceplate, but with a unique design on them (yes, the carbon are beautiful at face value, but I wanted my own signature so to speak). I can't wait.
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice pics @ project86, and thanks for posting at jermng
beerchug.gif

Hey Eric, they posted a few new ones on facebook along with mine .... any of them happen to be yours? :wink:

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #275 of 7,417

Quote:
So, @ project86, why do you find the Miracle and JH13pro better? What extra something are you getting out of those?

Obviously I still need many more hours on the 1964-T before I can make a definitive statement. But this is how I feel at the moment:

The JH13 and the 1964-T are very different animals. They do have similar performance on the low end though. But overall the JH13 has a more forward sound, not extreme or anything but that is just their house sound in all their customs. If the JH13 is slightly forward, the 1964-T is slightly laid back. This is heard mostly in the highs rather than the mids, since even the upper mids come through very clear and present. For example, a cymbal crash sounds very clear and lifelike, but at the same time the top bit of information (the part that is easily mangled by poor recordings or sources) is slightly smoothed out. This makes for a slightly less airy presentation than the JH13 but might actually be preferable for certain music or sources.

The Miracle is somewhere in between those 2: not forward, not laid back, but just right in my opinion. Every single bit of musical information is there, in the perfect quantity. Also on the low end the Miracle has startlingly real bass extending down as low as your amp or source will allow. I would rank them Miracle, then JH13, then 1964-T, with the gap between them all being not that huge.

Don't let this get you down about the 1964 Ears product though. At less than half the price, it is only mildly inferior, and I could see an occasion where I would reach for them anyway for certain music. I'm very interested to hear how the 1964-Q performs.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #276 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Obviously I still need many more hours on the 1964-T before I can make a definitive statement. But this is how I feel at the moment:

The JH13 and the 1964-T are very different animals. They do have similar performance on the low end though. But overall the JH13 has a more forward sound, not extreme or anything but that is just their house sound in all their customs. If the JH13 is slightly forward, the 1964-T is slightly laid back. This is heard mostly in the highs rather than the mids, since even the upper mids come through very clear and present. For example, a cymbal crash sounds very clear and lifelike, but at the same time the top bit of information (the part that is easily mangled by poor recordings or sources) is slightly smoothed out. This makes for a slightly less airy presentation than the JH13 but might actually be preferable for certain music or sources.

The Miracle is somewhere in between those 2: not forward, not laid back, but just right in my opinion. Every single bit of musical information is there, in the perfect quantity. Also on the low end the Miracle has startlingly real bass extending down as low as your amp or source will allow. I would rank them Miracle, then JH13, then 1964-T, with the gap between them all being not that huge.

Don't let this get you down about the 1964 Ears product though. At less than half the price, it is only mildly inferior, and I could see an occasion where I would reach for them anyway for certain music. I'm very interested to hear how the 1964-Q performs.

That's a fairly high compliment to compare the 1964-T to the JH13.  As I've been heading more towards Stax, I'm finding I like a slightly laid back sound, so this is helping solidify that I should go for the triples.  I never looked into the Miracles but that's interesting that you ranked the Miracles higher up.  Thanks for the food for thought.  If I find I do like customs from my try with 1964 I will need to consider Miracles or JH13s.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #277 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the brief review! I have another question. Do you have any experience with TF10, TF10 remolds, or the + 1 UM remold? If so, how would they stack up against the 1964T?
Also, how would you rate the subsonic bass presence compared to something like MTPC's, or TF10's for that matter? I'm looking for an enjoyable pair of listening customs (something animated, rather than dull and accurate like the TF10's).

I'm torn in three ways now, I really like the 1964Q's representation in the low end, and lush looking highs, but also curious if I'd enjoy UM's TF10+1 energetic mids (I'm a little uneasy as I'm not sure if I should expect to hear a bit of sibilance with them). If the 1964T's provide a nice sub-sonic punch, I may just go with those instead and pocket the $150 savings
blink.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #278 of 7,417
Thanks for the additional thoughts @ project86.

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #280 of 7,417

Quote:

Hey Eric, your Quads are on the FB page! :) You a horn player? 

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #281 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the brief review! I have another question. Do you have any experience with TF10, TF10 remolds, or the + 1 UM remold? If so, how would they stack up against the 1964T?
Also, how would you rate the subsonic bass presence compared to something like MTPC's, or TF10's for that matter? I'm looking for an enjoyable pair of listening customs (something animated, rather than dull and accurate like the TF10's).

I'm torn in three ways now, I really like the 1964Q's representation in the low end, and lush looking highs, but also curious if I'd enjoy UM's TF10+1 energetic mids (I'm a little uneasy as I'm not sure if I should expect to hear a bit of sibilance with them). If the 1964T's provide a nice sub-sonic punch, I may just go with those instead and pocket the $150 savings
blink.gif

Sorry, I have no experience with the TF10 remold or the +1 option. I'm a big fan of UM's own monitor designs, but I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of adding drivers to an existing design. Maybe it works great, I don't know.

As far as MTPC vs TF10 vs 1964-T. The 1964-T has a more realistic presentation than either of them in my opinion. The MTPC is great fun, and the TF10 is pretty accurate except for the midrange, but I think the 1964-T captures the best of both of them and puts it together. Honestly though I haven't listened to either of those universals in a while so I'd have to double check.

But if it is low frequency rumble you are looking for, the 1964-Q might be a better fit. Just look at that frequency response chart!

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #282 of 7,417
Well, I haven't heard them yet, but 1964ears has so graciously put my quads on display on Facebook, and I love what I see. So I thought I would share the visual with my head-fi community. We're getting close!!  - Eric

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #283 of 7,417
Yes, as you see @ jermng, I've found them!! I wouldn't call myself a musician by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a music journalist (for over 15 years now) and my niche is jazz. So these customs really represent who I am and what I do - and of course, what I love!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Hey Eric, your Quads are on the FB page! :) You a horn player? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back