1964 Ears
Nov 30, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #256 of 7,417
and here I thought this thread was about tuned customs from 1964 :p

I'm sure UM, Rooth and whoever else adds drivers, does some tuning and crossover does a good job but it's a huge leap of faith and even more than customs imo. With products such as the customs by companies such as UM, Westone, JHA, etc you have a general idea of what you are going to get if you do proper research. With additional drivers and such you don't know what you are going to get. I'll eventually get something done by UM and it may be an additional drivers and such or it may be one of their own customs or I may just get them to do a reshell. They seem to know what they are doing with their their good reports on the forums but it still is a leap of faith.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #257 of 7,417
LOL @ Anaxilus  and Kunlun...

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #258 of 7,417

Quote:
and here I thought this thread was about tuned customs from 1964 :p

I'm sure UM, Rooth and whoever else adds drivers, does some tuning and crossover does a good job but it's a huge leap of faith and even more than customs imo. With products such as the customs by companies such as UM, Westone, JHA, etc you have a general idea of what you are going to get if you do proper research. With additional drivers and such you don't know what you are going to get. I'll eventually get something done by UM and it may be an additional drivers and such or it may be one of their own customs or I may just get them to do a reshell. They seem to know what they are doing with their their good reports on the forums but it still is a leap of faith.

Well, truth to be told, I think that leap of faith is really just being willing to play ping pong with your impression over the pacific and, unfortunately, also dealing with the recently stricter custom borders in China. Dealing with UM is a lot easier and smoother when you live near them.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #259 of 7,417
That's kinda the reason (distance wise at least) I'm waiting for reports on the quality of work from 1964. If they have their customs aesthetically as good as UM I may use them for a remold. I'd rather get one of the UM customs to be honest than an upgrade. I'm 99% there in getting the 1964 triples around the new year and that may save me $50 if they keep a file of your impressions and I get a remold by them. I have to ask them later about that if they do that since it would save me from getting another set of impressions.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #260 of 7,417
I know how much better these types of threads are with pictures, so I snapped a few last night. Not good ones, mind you, but better than nothing.

This is the Pelican case they come with. It is engraved with your name and serial number.

The inside has some nice padding, customized with a 1964 Ears logo. It is also a perfect fit for a Sansa Clip or Clip+ to fit inside the case.

Better view of the engraved panel. Ignore the indentations on the "4" and the "S", those are from the cable pressing against it since I just opened the case.

Interior again

Now a bunch of poorly done pics of the IEMs themselves. They engrave your initials, model #, and serial # in red for the right and blue for the left. I think it looks better engraved than the usual printing that some companies do. Also it is really hard to capture how good the carbon fiber looks.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #261 of 7,417
Thanks for the pictures, project86!

They look lovely.  I wanted to get the carbon fiber as well and I'm glad to see they look gorgeous.

I'm particularly impressed by the case.  I like the care they put in on the detail and seeing 1964 put in the foam for the top is a nice touch.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #262 of 7,417
Nice! :) 

Anyway, 1964 just posted pictures of my wife's and my IEMs on facebook. :) Thought I'd put it up here too .... Since they're finished I assume they'll be shipped out really soon!! :)

Mine are the Quads and my wife's are the Triples .... 

My Quads:

My wife's triples:

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #266 of 7,417
Very nice pics @ project86, and thanks for posting at jermng
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #267 of 7,417
Thanks for those pics project86. I like the case as it looks better than just my regular pelican 1010 with the foam. I could do the same thing and cut off part of the foam as well but it being there from the start is better. I guess they order their cables from the same place that Westone orders their cables as it looks exactly the same. I've been looking through their facebook pics and I think the carbon fiber looks nice although I don't think I'll be getting that.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #270 of 7,417

Quote:
So anyone here received theirs and can post a review?

I've got my triple driver model, I don't think anyone else has theirs yet but ericp10 should have his quads in a few days. No full review yet but I've posted impressions a few times, and I'll summarize again:

Go here http://1964ears.com/spec_sheets.pdf and read the info for the triple driver model. That is pretty much exactly what I'm hearing. Fairly balanced overall but with generous bass and very smooth highs. The bass reminds me of my JH13 as they both have a bit of extra punch around 60Hz or so. Mids are excellent, with drums having a very nice snap to them that I appreciate as a drummer. Soundstage is great. Highs are very present but slightly smooth, making these an excellent choice for listening to less than perfect recordings.

Overall I'm really enjoying these, and I rate them high as far as custom IEMs go. They are obviously inferior to the Unique Melody Miracle and the JH Audio JH13pro, but are about as good as anything else I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back