$1000 dollar budget
Oct 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Dgiant

100+ Head-Fier
I have a strict budget of 1000 dollars to buy the absolute, set for a log time combo of a amp/dac and a headphone. I listen to all genres but a little less of classical and more of alternative. The headphones could be open or closed(leaning towards open)

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 63

Quote:
Need some headphones that peferbely doesnt need a amp to work good and has a wood cup also perferbaly. My budget is 700. I was looking at the Denon ah d7000 or maybe the ath w5000. I want a good tight punchy bass. The denon throws me off a little because it is made in china

Denon D5000 matches your needs precisely.

Very best,

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 63
I wasn't crazy about the D7Ks, though they are great, and if you can get a pair for less than $700 they're well worth it.

If I were going after another pair of closed cans I would give the AudioTechnicas a shot personally.

As always, audition first whenever possible.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 63
Most headphones are made in China, doesn't mean a thing.

AKG recently relocated their K601 production to China and apart from the 'Made in Austria' going
missing, it's just another production line in Asia instead of Europe. Big woops.

Buy an Audio Technica, Sennheiser or Beyer flagship if you want bragging rights for
something made in Japan or Germany if it matters to you that much.

In the case of the Denon though, your concerns do have some merit. They can
fail due a loose screw at the hinge.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 63

Quote:
Yeah im worried about the quality of the denons, how are te ah a100, I heard some are made in Japan. Also are ath w1000x or ath w5000 good

W1000X is one of my favorite closed sets of headphones. It is airy and very delicate with complex compositions.

Doesn't sound like it's your sort of headphone though if you fancy a decent low end kick in the bass department,
they're very bass light.

W5000 is very polarizing. Given it's cost it had a slightly different flavor to the W1000X, more refined in a sense
but also fuller bodied. I wouldn't pay the price though, plenty of other open headphones that would flog it in my
opinion.

Fancy an outsider in the same vein that will give you very decent sound stage, separation and bass?

JVC-Victor DX700 ~ a very under rated Japanese made woody headphone. It is a Japan only retail
product so you would need to order it from Pricejapan.com or another retailer. $600USD landed.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 63
The T70, D5000, Pro900.

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 63
Consider the Lawton audio models also. They are customized Denons with Markl mod.. They sound better than the stock ones. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:
W1000X is one of my favorite closed sets of headphones. It is airy and very delicate with complex compositions.

Doesn't sound like it's your sort of headphone though if you fancy a decent low end kick in the bass department,
they're very bass light.

I'd have a hard time calling them bass light... Must depend on the amp if something. Bass is definitely really tight and punchy when demanded. Not for bassheads I think though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back