$1000 dollar budget

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by dgiant, Oct 18, 2011.
First

Back
1 2 3
Page 4 of 5
Next

Last
  1. Clownzor

Quote:

Hmmm I wouldn't call the W1000X bass light. The W1000 (no X) and W5000 match that description, but the W1000X has plenty of bass. Compared to the Ultrasone HFi 580 (a very bass heavy can), the W1000X sub-bass rolls off a bit earlier but mid-bass punch is possibly even greater. Each to their own but I love the W1000X for rock. For electronic I prefer the Ultrasones, plastic back and all, but that's more due to the W1000X mids and decay than bass.

Compared to the Denons, the W1000X has more forward mid-bass and mids, while the Denons have more prominent sub-bass and treble.

Also, if you're gonna be spending $600 on a headphone, you will want a better amp than the E7. There are some very good choices for not much more. The biggest strong point of the E7 is its flexibility (DAC, amp, portable amp) but it doesn't do any of those things more than adequately.

2. TheOtus
    Hahah, another owner claiming that W1000W is not bass light. ;D It's sort of misleading to tell how it's light in bass when driven from a "reference full size" amplifier. My cmoy was way more bassy than either of the Musical Fidelity amps I've owned. If W1000X would have more bass in quantity, it would soon overcome everything else. With my music, my amp, my source and my hearing. = )

3. the wizard of oz
    W5000 isn't bass light either, once you get the right fit; far too many people give up too soon on the W5000. Synergy with the right amp also helps.
    Bend those metal bands!

4. lucozade
    I also recommend the denon ah5000 ,it is an excellent all rounder with stellar bass , perfect for rock music like led zeppelin etc.

5. Madcatyoji
    Any reason for not considering the Grado RS2i or RS1i? They seem to fit your criteria fairly well and both are good sounding cans.

6. Dgiant

Quote:

well no one mentioned it till now. how do those compare to current selection of denon d5000,d7000 and w1000x.

also how are the NEW hifiman he 5 le, compared to the senn. easier to drive? I might be able to get something up to the 900 dollar limit if my siblings pay fo the 200 dollars for my b day. also thinking about the HIFIMAN HE 500

if i do get the senn, i would get the E9 for my E7 since the price is cheaper than the denons and such

7. brokenthumb

Quote:

You could even get an tube amp like the Little Dot MK III for the Senn and it would still be cheaper.  Just use a L7 with the E7.

8. Madcatyoji
    I just ordered a little Dot Mk. III and a HiFiman ef2a. I'll be playing with them to see what I think. The LD M3 will stay at home and the HiFiman will come to work and stay here. I'd kill for a set of RS1i's, but I like Grado's a lot.

9. Dgiant
    ok now i completely set on either the HIFIMAN HE 5LE and e9 amp, the denon d7000 no amp, or sennheiser HD650 with e9. im not really a basshead. i really enjoy music such as coldplay nowadays.

ps i have heard from headroom that the new "SHINY" HE 5LE are metal. is that true?

10. eucariote

Quote:

I for one would would opt for HE 500- got to compare them to D7000, RS-1 & HD600 and it beat them in every way.  Second best were HD600, third RS-1 and D7000 were a distant fourth.  Rob a bank if you have to.

11. Dgiant
    well if i get the HE 500 will it be able to run in my fiio e7? i wont be able to get the e9 if i get the he 500. also can i expect the HD650 to be as good as the HD 600 as a close second to the he 500

12. Graphicism Contributor
    Quote:

Neither E7 nor E9 would be a good candidate for the HE 500.

13. Dgiant
    GREAT NEWS, my siblings have  managed to get me 500 dollars for my headphone puurchase!!!!!!!!!! im pretty sure im getting the LCD 2 because of my generous siblings[​IMG] what amp should i get it with that is 200 dollars or less

14. eucariote

Quote:

Maybe..  If I answered that I'd break the first rule of Head-fi: don't talk about headphones you haven't heard.  [​IMG]  And then Brad Pitt would start beating me up in my dreams.  For a quality, powerful & inexpensive amp you might want to check out the vintage stereo thread.

15. brokenthumb

Quote:

Those are some nice siblings you have there.  LUCKY!

First

Back
1 2 3
Page 4 of 5
Next

Last