Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #39,708 of 42,299
167890.jpg

I'm having a play with the Yggy in my rig.

What a monster.

I plan to have a listen using the Woo WA22 tonight.
I've had a quick listen using Yggy > V281 > Ether Flow. That's a killer combo.

Jun 11, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #39,709 of 42,299
I'm looking for either a WA6 or WA6se to pair with my HE1000 v2. This will be a tube amp to compliment my Wells Audio Milo. I obviously want whichever one will best power my planars but also considering which has more tube rolling potential so I can play with he sound.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #39,713 of 42,299
Is the yggy such a game changer?

I've only listened to five songs so far.
Initial impressions are: Yes it is a game changer.

No more sparkly treble. Sparkly treble is completely gone.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #39,717 of 42,299
@weissja36

Tube rolling in Woo amps causes very subtle change in sound. I would recommend changing the output caps instead. I changed the ones in the Wa22 to Jupiter copper foil and this yielded more results than all the tube rolling I have done. Subjective of course, but something to bear in mind.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #39,718 of 42,299
IMG_0926[1].JPG
@weissja36

Tube rolling in Woo amps causes very subtle change in sound. I would recommend changing the output caps instead. I changed the ones in the Wa22 to Jupiter copper foil and this yielded more results than all the tube rolling I have done. Subjective of course, but something to bear in mind.

When you compare upgraded tubes to the basic tubes that WOO sends with the amp, yes there is a huge difference. I have Genelex 300B's, Black Treasure 300B's and EML 520B V3's and each tube imparted a different sonic signature in my WA5-LE. The EML's are my favourite. As for Rectifier tubes, I have EML 5U4G's and they are my favourite but I'm now running a pair of 596's and they are very good. Funky looking too! As for Driver's the best so far is a pair of Marconi/Magnavox 6SN7's. I have Tung Sol round plates on the way. I'm toying with Takatsuki's for the power end.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #39,719 of 42,299
When you compare upgraded tubes to the basic tubes that WOO sends with the amp, yes there is a huge difference

Well, if you compare the stock tubes to the uber tubes the difference is easy to hear. 'Huge' is a very vague description especially if we both judge with different references in mind. 'Huge' for me would be different ends of the spectrum.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #39,720 of 42,299
This is my first post in the Woo section. I recently purchased a WA6 and am loving it so far. I have it running as another amplifier in my system. I am using a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE preamplifier and their new DAC2v2SE DAC using the ESS 9038Pro chips. I have a First Watt and Audio Research amplifiers which I switch back and forth depending on mood and the Woo Audio for when I listen to headphones (which seems to be a lot of time lately).

I have KEF M500 as secondary headphones and Sennheiser HD80S as my primaries... I believe the WA6 I got is a first generation (This is what AA told me) for tube rolling. I am looking for opinions on tube rolling. I recently picked up a rectifier tube from Upscale because of the overwhelming ratings and feedback. A Phillips made in Holland NOS tube that they bought the entire stock of this find. Here is a what one review wrote:

"I compared them to the holy grail of rectifiers, the Mullard GZ34/5AR4 which I bought used for $80. New is $250, if you can find them. In the ModWright PS9 Power supply and in a Dynaco Stereo 70, the Phillips worked wonders. I experienced more definition, more subtlety, more elegance, tighter imaging, fleshier, quicker, added depth, and just more realism. Vocals are better than ever, and alive with inner definition and nuance."

Wondering if anyone else has heard of or tried this tube. I was stunned at how big of an improvement it made in my new WA6. Also, any other suggestions on tubes that might really improve my new WA6?

Thank you very much for an input. Sorry for such a long post. This is my first foray into Woo, tube headphone amps, and tube rolling. Therefore I am a little green behind the ears :)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back