The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 5, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #19,531 of 19,652
The X5 first gen is a swell piece. It sounds fine and it works great and it starts up really quickly when you turn it on. The battery lasts a long time and when it is off the battery doesn't run down. These are all very good things.
The X5iii is like a Starship compared to a VW Beetle comparing the two. But, it takes over a minute to start, it is a bit more complicated, has a shorter battery life but it's pretty awesome.
Sound wise they both sound great, they sound different and I'd give the nod to the X5iii in this area. I have both, I will likely still use both, but I'm pretty excited about the new one.

Is it night and day difference in sound? NO.
Is it night and day difference in operation? Oh my, YES.

I bought my latest X5 first Gen thinking I could resist buying the new third gen version. ooops, I could not.
I did not buy the second gen as to me it was too similar to the first gen that I already owned and loved.
I did not buy an X7 as it was really large, had only one card slot and I was happy with the X5. But the X5iii is hard to resist.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #19,532 of 19,652

Can you compare between the X5 1st gen and the Fiio X5iii? 

I want to upgrade myself.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/18091

Basically both mids and bass have more detail, soundstage, better instrument separation and the treble is smoother. There is literally no comparison FW wise, X5-3 is Android and a really good implementation of Android. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #19,533 of 19,652
Mar 6, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #19,534 of 19,652
I may be buying a Liquid Carbon (which has dual 3-pin XLR input).  If I wanted to use the balanced output on the Liquid Carbon with the X5 as a source/DAC, how would I go about this?  Is something like this all I would need?: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-HMX-010Y-XLR3M-Stereo-Breakout/dp/B00YSAVUZ2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Or would I have to get something like this and use the coaxial output of the X5?: https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Cable-AK100II-AK120II-XDP-300R/dp/B06W2JKFMP/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1488780687&sr=8-10&keywords=trrs+to+dual+xlr
Or would I need to buy a separate DAC which has dual 3-pin XLR output?

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #19,535 of 19,652
  I may be buying a Liquid Carbon (which has dual 3-pin XLR input).  If I wanted to use the balanced output on the Liquid Carbon with the X5 as a source/DAC, how would I go about this?  Is something like this all I would need?: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-HMX-010Y-XLR3M-Stereo-Breakout/dp/B00YSAVUZ2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Or would I have to get something like this and use the coaxial output of the X5?: https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Cable-AK100II-AK120II-XDP-300R/dp/B06W2JKFMP/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1488780687&sr=8-10&keywords=trrs+to+dual+xlr
Or would I need to buy a separate DAC which has dual 3-pin XLR output?

Just use the single ended input to the Liquid Carbon. I used to own a Liquid Carbon and the phase splitter that converts a single ended signal to a balanced signal internally is very good. I couldn't tell the difference between single ended input and balanced input. I'm not sure about the safety with the Liquid Carbon's electronics using that TRS to XLR cable you posted. 

The second cable you linked is a fully balanced cable. DO NOT PLUG THAT IN TO THE X5. If you want to use a balanced input then get a balanced DAC. You'll gain no benefit using those cables you linked. You can still use the balanced output of the Liquid Carbon, with the full balanced topology of the amp, even if your input is single ended.

Also, the Liquid Carbon is an amp with no DAC so you would never use a coaxial output to it. Like I said, just use a 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS stereo interconnect and plug in to the back of the Liquid Carbon using the line-out of the X5. Easy peasy, and safe, and great sounding. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #19,536 of 19,652
I bought a X3i a few years ago.  Thought I would go for headphone music with this little gadget.  End up I couldn't stand wearing a headphone for more than 10 minutes.  Gave me headache.  I did update the x3's firmware from time to time though. 

I tried using it in my car using aux.  Quality was not good. 

Recently, I bought a new car (AUDI) and I tried the x3 again.  So much better this time with this car.  Perhaps the AUDI has a better internal amp.

It is hard to fiddle with the buttons when driving  and the screen of x3 is too small. So, I decided to get a x5iii.  I went to a local shop for it last weekend.  The sales told me that all x5iii were sold out.  He said if I wanted it, I should reserve it.  And so I did.

Now, I am waiting for the x5iii.  

Oh, I also bought an inakustik Premium 3.5 mm Audio Jack to 3.5 mm Audio Jack cable for aux connection while i was there.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #19,537 of 19,652
Can anyone confirm that the X5ii is working with sandisk 256gb cards? Everywhere I look I can't seem to get a straight answer or I find all older posts from 2015 saying 256gb card's are not out yet. Well there out... My current X5ii with sandisk 128gb X2 cards are full of FLAC files.. Can't shuffle anything around without deleting thing's I don't want to.

Before I drop $300 on 2 sandisk 256gb card's I would feel more at ease knowing they are going to work. No help looking at FAQ on fiio website. I love fiio but they should keep there customer's better informed on there site. If they work list it.. If they don't.. List it.. Hopefully one of you fine chaps can give me an answer that apparently fiios website can't. Ordering soon along with ordering a fiio k5 so with my X5ii with that I'm hoping I can push my sennheiser hd700's further.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #19,538 of 19,652
Can anyone confirm that the X5ii is working with sandisk 256gb cards? Everywhere I look I can't seem to get a straight answer or I find all older posts from 2015 saying 256gb card's are not out yet. Well there out... My current X5ii with sandisk 128gb X2 cards are full of FLAC files.. Can't shuffle anything around without deleting thing's I don't want to.

Before I drop $300 on 2 sandisk 256gb card's I would feel more at ease knowing they are going to work. No help looking at FAQ on fiio website. I love fiio but they should keep there customer's better informed on there site. If they work list it.. If they don't.. List it.. Hopefully one of you fine chaps can give me an answer that apparently fiios website can't. Ordering soon along with ordering a fiio k5 so with my X5ii with that I'm hoping I can push my sennheiser hd700's further.

Wait until the mSD cards are cheaper! 

At 300$ per card, they're not worth buying at this moment. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #19,539 of 19,652

I don't know about 256s in an X5ii, but 200s in an X5i work beautifully.  And 200s are half the price of 256s.... 

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #19,540 of 19,652
I did the massdrop samsungs and they worked.  I used the x5 to format the cards and have had no problems.  I know thats not the sandisk but I thought I read elsewhere on the forum that worked.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #19,541 of 19,652

I don't know about 256s in an X5ii, but 200s in an X5i work beautifully.  And 200s are half the price of 256s.... 

I can confirm this.  I have 2 200Gig Sandisk Micro SD cards running in my X5i and have had zero issues.  I am starting to run low on space on one.  Might get 256 gig micro sd cards when they come down a little in price.

Cheers

Riley

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #19,542 of 19,652
Hi guys, question.
does the X5 have a "partial repeat" function?
I'll try to better explain myself: it's a function like that used to be on older iRivers, that allow you, inside the same song, to set a "play start" and a "play end" and repeat continuously only that segment of that song. Useful for people studying music.

cheers:wink:

Julia

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #19,543 of 19,652
FiiO X5 Gen III Romanian Ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1xppoOEZo&feature=youtu.be

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #19,544 of 19,652
  Hi guys, question.
does the X5 have a "partial repeat" function?
I'll try to better explain myself: it's a function like that used to be on older iRivers, that allow you, inside the same song, to set a "play start" and a "play end" and repeat continuously only that segment of that song. Useful for people studying music.

cheers:wink:

Julia

Dear giuguar,

Sorry, the X5 doesn't have this function you mentioned. Maybe you can use fast forward to see if it helps?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 23, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #19,545 of 19,652
I can only afford one 256gb micro sd this month. I hope it works with my x5ii also hope it works next to a 128gb micro sd card. I don't see why it wouldn't. I don't see it say anywhere that I need 2 matching size micro sd's in the fiio x5..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back