The discovery thread!
Jun 18, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #33,317 of 99,811
Saw this review on Massdrop earlier and I will post the same remarks as I did there. I agree with this review in general but a few added observations. The highs are not veiled it is more rolled off with stock tips and the bass does sound a bit bigger and loose when I first heard them as well. However I have had these much longer and have been burning them and using them since and some added observations.

I got a different take on the amping part. My EDC clearly stand out when amped. Not just slightly either. I think it was due to my tip mod that I posted on my review of them. I want to tell this reviewer to try my tip mod first and then amp it.

I will explain how and why the tip mod works to make the EDC on a different level of sound. Basically it is how the sound projects into your ears. Guys that have had multiple earphones knows what tip rolling can do for your earphones but the very first and last tip rolling everyone should try is the wide bore tip mod.

This balances out the sound to a degree that actually gives a complete different sound profile to the EDCs. I knew this going into the review as it did the same thing for the previous HEM earphones for NuForce. Treble that was rolled off and not heard now shimmers and extends much better. Bass that was a bit loose and had bigger mid bass is now lessened a few dbs which also changes up the tonality to be less warm and much more natural sounding.

With the stock tip there is much less space between where the sound shoots out of the nozzle vs my tip mod which will actually projects the sound like an amplifier. It is like using a screen projector. The farther you place the projector from the screen wall the bigger the picture is. The closer to the wall the smaller more confined the image is. The tip mod has a similar effect.

I will have my EDCs Fr graphed with and without tip mod to prove my point. I recently sent it to another headfier so he can graph it for me.

So in the ear the stock silicones I think actually restricts the sound. In fact I know it restricts the sound. Once you hear how much more mature the sound is with the tip mod and then go back to the stock tips you can clearly tell. It is like a different earphone. ( . . ) vs ( \ / ) The fist 2 dots represent the amount of space from tip of the nozzle to your ears. The second represents what the tip mod does in creating a cone with much more space between the nozzle tip and the inner ear. Changes the sound? Absolutely. Is probably what the tuners intended the sound to be like.

uLZhraNED2qoScWrzq801ha5bI1LYYsge4kKbFoCFrrPk4zN6FHFcUjv_dGT8B-EO-KLoJb95XzbZL-fklWRcteU8a7AbU7hB0lWY5ufOXDbX51UfCQyj8RcSUrfNWOOCqDm4ZYM

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #33,318 of 99,811
My Pioneer are designed proper to begin with :wink: Wider bore and shallow fit with tips barely come past the bore as to not effect or restrict sound.

Like nozzle spray patterns...
images

You want a wider opening and opening wider sooner and not really into a longer tip core. Needs to spread out early and as much as it can.

Of course a longer path can blend things more or correct some things if need be depending on the earphones. Not in the case of the Pioneer which is tuned well and designed with one of the larger bores to keep them further out and project better.

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #33,319 of 99,811
Ya agreed. I have never been a fan of narrow bored earphones. It seems to have restrictions. I remember the sound of the old Atrio MG7 pros. Just an ill designed earphone with a spaghetti noodle like narrow nozzle. The flattest sound and not in a good way with a bigger sub bass. No tip mod can make those sound better.

I like that picture display. Stock tip would represent the 0 degree and the tip mod makes it the 40 degree. Makes a big difference in how you hear the sound.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #33,321 of 99,811
Not really. I was listening to the EDC the first week with stock tips both silicones and foam tips. I am certain the other reviews were all done without any tip mod.

Some guys might actually prefer the stock tips. Everyone got different taste in how they like their sound. The stock tips are comfortable and easy to use. Gives more mid bass. Sounds excellent with bass driven music.

With tip mod the sound balances out with more treble and a few dbs of less midbass. Tip mod is like the interchangeable nozzles and filters on the phantom master 4 or LZ4 for example.

I do prefer my tip mod over the stock tips but that is because I demand more versatile sound vs a more bass heavy version of the EDC. I listen to acoustic music rock and jazz as much as I do EDM or hip hop so a more balanced sound profile gives me versatility. Even with tip mod the sub bass on the EDCs are excellent. It sounds more higher end imo.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #33,323 of 99,811
I think for the price Massdrop is asking for them. It is a slam dunk. I have been using them ever since I got them for review and I have grown to appreciate their sonics and are excellent out and about. The only issue is it will take a bit to get into your hands. MD is selling them at a good clip last time I checked was almost 800 units sold.

If you need something in tide you over I can definitely recommed any of the Philips she3590 variety you can buy at your local walmarts and targets.

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #33,324 of 99,811
If you need something in tide you over I can definitely recommed any of the Philips she3590 variety you can buy at your local walmarts and targets.

I sold nearly everything I have-- mostly Audio-Tecnicas, some really high-end ones, too, which would probably appall you. ಠ_ಠ

But, for portable use, I still have my AKG Y50 (surprisingly little fanfare for these), V-MODA m80, and the 1MORE Triple Drivers.

What especially interests me about the EDC, are not just the easy-going sound I've read about, which is what I seek in a portable, but the detachable cables. My 1Mores are absolutely wrecked because their cables are attached; they get snagged and caught on everything and often times yanked out of my ears. I'm not sure all the drivers even work properly anymore.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #33,325 of 99,811
If it's a solid iem, without needing a mod, then I'd consider joining this drop. I've not had many iems, but, since I've sold most of my headphones, I now need something super portable and comfy.

That narrows it down to about 200 iems :wink:

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #33,326 of 99,811
EDC uses the exact same shells that are on the HEM earphones. One of the best designed housing for comfort, very ergonomic. Isolation is above average too. The sound is non fatiguing and can be used for hours without discomfort or hearing fatigue. The tuning is safe but at the same time not boring either. Something you wouldn't expect from a single dynamic in a closed shell but the sound is spacious sounding. It is not as 3D sounding as more higher end phones but has excellent layering and depth to the sound.

Truth be told I was not expecting to like them as much as I do but once in a while you hear a phone that does so much right. Was unexpected from the EDC. It is easy to use and equally easy to like. It is one of the better single dynamic earphones I have heard actually. I like the review sample so much I am gonna get a final EDC so I can try some aftermarket and balanced cables on them. Massdrop is serious about these. Not every day they tell the manufacturer to change up the connector so more aftermarket cables can be used on them.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #33,327 of 99,811
That narrows it down to about 200 iems :wink:
Yeah, I wasn't very specific there. (し_し)

Massdrop is serious about these. Not every day they tell the manufacturer to change up the connector so more aftermarket cables can be used on them.
Which is why I joined the T-X0 drop. I think they're serious about them, too.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #33,329 of 99,811

Users who are viewing this thread

Back