Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,246 of 1,273
I recently had both the Gustard X20u Pro and the Matrix Audio X-Saber Pro. I listened to both of them for a week and was able to make a decision on the better unit. I originally bought the Gustard direct from Shenzhen.com. Shortly after my Gustard order was confirmed I found a great deal on a X-Saber Pro in the classifieds that I couldn't pass up. I took the plunge and bought it as well.

First unit to arrive was the X20 Pro(less than a week from China is not bad at all). This big, black, boxy, behemoth is very utilitarian in appearance. Two knobs and a small OLED screen on the front of the unit. The usual inputs and outputs of a modern DAC finish the rear of the unit. Sharp, squared edges and many(all) allen head screws visible give it an all business look. I connected it directly to my laptop using the supplied USB cable. Turned the power knob to the on position and heard a few loud relays switch on and she powered right up. I used the same old driver for my recently sold Gustard X12/U12. It worked without a hitch. I was greeted with a powerful, dynamic sound. I was truly stunned at the difference in sound quality compared to my old DAC. It was as if a veil was lifted and everything was crystal clear. Powerful, clean bass, well balanced mids and an almost too bright top end. I quickly got used to the highs and started listening to all my favorite songs/albums for the first time, again. I really, really liked the sound. I went ahead and removed the old drivers and installed the ones provided on the thumbdrive from Gustard.

A few days later I received the X-Saber Pro and quickly opened to box to see a sleek, sexy, DAC! Smooth lines, no knobs or buttons, no visible screws. The back of the unit had the normal connections of a DAC. Just all around a very nice looking unit that was much smaller than I expected, but it weighed almost 10lbs! I installed the drivers from the website and used the same USB cable from Gustard. Once I started listening to some of my favorite songs I realized I liked the X20 Pro more. The X-Saber had a more toned down approach to reproducing the music. I also felt the soundstage was smaller in all directions. I decided to look at the menu to check out the settings. This is a rather cumbersome deal which requires holding your finger on the power button. This shuts the unit off and enters the menu. Then you have to navigate using a series of button presses. I did not like menu approach at all! After I fiddled with some menu options(filters) I turned it back on but was still underwhelmed with the sound.

I decided to try throwing some DSD at the DACs to see if one was better than the other. I configured Foobar for DSD. First problem was my current laptop didn't have the gusto to do much DSD. I was able to do DSD64 and 256(Gustard max). When I tried 512 the CPU usage was pegged and stutters and pops galore. So I grabbed my new laptop which has an Intel i5 chip. I still couldn't do much with DSD512 as any other background service would cause pops and stutters. So I set both units to 256 and gave it a few listening sessions. The Gustard seemed to perform better than the Matrix. The Matrix had more stutters and lock-ups during playback. Not sure if had something to do with the X20 using DoP2DSD and the Matrix using true DSD. To tell you the truth, when it was working I couldn't hear a difference between DSD and PCM. Plus the majority of my listening is on Tidal, so I went back to PCM.

Quick summary:
Gustard X20u Pro:Bigger, clearer, more dynamic sound. Wider, deeper soundtage. Big, boxy, all business look. Menu is super easy to navigate. $860.00

Matrix Audio X-Saber: More neutral, intimate sound. Beautiful work of machining!! I like the touch buttons. Look sexy! Menu is goofy and akward. $1600.00

Clear winner IMO is the X20 Pro. I am extremely satisfied to the unit. For half the cost of the Matrix, it bests it in the areas that matter.

Amp:Modded Matrix HPA3-B
Headphones:McIntosh MHP1000

I am gonna purchase a Singxer SU-1 and see what happens next.

P.S. I am gonna try a R2R DAC next. Looking at the Denafrips Pontus.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,247 of 1,273
Thanks for your impressions! Very different from mine (couldn't stand the Gustard) but we all hear different. I agree the menu system on the X-Sabre Pro is not the easiest to deal with. Took me a while to figure out how to get it going. Thankfully it's not something you mess with all that often.

Singxer SU-1 should make a bigger difference on the Gustard than the X-Sabre Pro in my experience. The Matrix has an excellent USB section which only shows very minor improvements with the external device, while the Gustard seems good on paper but in reality needs all the help it can get. If you like what the X20 Pro does, you'll love it when you unleash more potential with the SU-1.

If you don't want to spend that much, even the more basic Singxer F-1 (half the price of SU-1) is better than the stock Gustard USB.

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,249 of 1,273
By the way, did you mess with the settings for Sync versus Async? I believe with standard USB connection you'll want Sync mode. If it's set to Async (which works better with the Singxer SU-1 via HDMI connection) then that may be part of your problem.

I did try both settings on both units. Really wanted the Singxer during the testing, but I was tapped outta cash, lol.

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #1,250 of 1,273
Im looking for a new dac and the xsaber and xsaber pro are calling to me. What are the differences between the pro and non pro versions from a technical standpoint? What does the fact that the pro version has newer sabre chips mean in terms of audio quality/specs? Do they warrant the price increase?

Finally, how dors these units compare to something like the audio gd nfb1 DAC?

Im kinda lost on the dac technology side of things and would really appreciate some input.

May 29, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,251 of 1,273
Thank you Project86 for the details review, I recently acquire a used X-sabre dac and am very pleased with the results. My setup is T1.2, Beyer A2 amp and Icon Audio mk2 amp thru Macbook Audirvana plus. I have mojo and Deckard to compare with, X-sabre is clearly above them,

Apr 10, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,260 of 1,273
i have in Germany the first sample of the element x as i burned it in 2 weeks its the best so far i heard also against my previous reference x-sabre pro...it has more punch, more 3 dimensional space and you can do all things in one case...congrats to china..
Minor(app/firmware is still developing: streaming missing)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back