ZuneHD...so does it sound good?
Sep 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why you guys would buy this in the first place. It's such a limited functionality device. I listened to it at my local best buy and it sounds just like a regular Zune, which is good, but not worth the 200 bucks for something that does even less than an iPod Touch, which at least lets you listen to far more internet radio, check email, add apps, etc despite being a similar waste of money.

Maybe they are a dying breed but did it ever occur to you that there are people who just want to use their DAP to, you know, play music?

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #33 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it does. And mine sounds great by the way. A good bit better than my Fuze, plus the UI is simply amazing (as well as the device itself). The presets sound pretty good, but I would have preferred a custom EQ. Though seriously, if you need to EQ your headphones, then you should not care about sound quality.

Really? I'm thinking about getting one of these, does it seriously sound better than the Fuze?

-

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #35 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This or a Touch 3G...hmmm..

it depends on what you want. As a full on DAP I def believe the Zune kicks the a** of the touch. However, if your looking for a full on pocket computer that plays music and video I would go with the touch. Or you might want to wait since reports (rumors) say the touch "will" get a camera in the near future.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #36 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it depends on what you want. As a full on DAP I def believe the Zune kicks the a** of the touch. However, if your looking for a full on pocket computer that plays music and video I would go with the touch. Or you might want to wait since reports (rumors) say the touch "will" get a camera in the near future.

I already have a Samsung P3 and an iPhone, so I really don't need another player...I really don't like the look of the Zune interface, though. It's just a bit too flashy (not cool). I mean, who really cares about artist's bio...and windows will NEVER catch up to the app store viralness.

How's the web browser on the Zune? Does it have decent presets? No custom, right?

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #37 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have a Samsung P3 and an iPhone, so I really don't need another player...I really don't like the look of the Zune interface, though. It's just a bit too flashy (not cool). I mean, who really cares about artist's bio...and windows will NEVER catch up to the app store viralness.

How's the web browser on the Zune? Does it have decent presets? No custom, right?

The web browser is good. It doesn't support flash or silverlight but I have a feeling that will change. Not sure about the presets I don't use em so.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they are a dying breed but did it ever occur to you that there are people who just want to use their DAP to, you know, play music?

Got the Zune HD yesterday. The interface is amazing! The design is great; and I don't have to worry about getting a case for it (the back does not scratch easily like the Touch). The OLED screen has excellent color and contrast.

I want a DAP that is dedicated for music. I have an 2nd gen 8GB iPod Touch for calendar, email, apps, etc. The Zune HD is just for music and some photos (because the screen is so nice).

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 92
I've been playing with the Zune HD for a few hours now and comparing the sound quality to a 5G iPod Classic. It's better, more clear and better stereo separation with maybe a slightly wider soundstage. It's a noticeable difference but not night and day. The 1G iPod Touch is better than the 5G though, being more clear and having a very smooth sound signature.

My iPod Touch 3G is in the mail but I'm expecting to return the Zune HD to walmart, not before I do a side by side comparison though. Overall I'm feeling a bit let down by the Zune HD. I expected the sound quality improvement to be greater.

I'm listening out of Monster Beats Studio's and Audio Technica ATH-AD900.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm have you got anything that would be more traditionally considered as portable earphones?

Are you talking to me? If so the only other headphones I have are the cheap packins so those aren't worth comparing. Regardless though, although the monster beat studio's are full size they are only 8ohms. They are very easy to drive and if you use anything but the cleanest source you'll find out they may be too easy to drive (static which was easily detected in the ipod touch 1g but that was a common complaint with that dap). The audio technica's are only 32ohms and are also easy to drive. The volume never goes above 50% and is usually at about 40%.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #42 of 92
Zune HD’s UI: the full tour

This is probably one of the best zune video UI demonstrations I have seen on the net.

I can't wait til my 32GB pre-order from Dell arrives tomorrow to listen to KEXP on HD!
happy_face1.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #43 of 92
I've come across a few articles that say the internal dac in the latest iPod touch is much better than the Zune HD. One of them I believe is from cNet. They did a side by side.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #45 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by raynman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune HD’s UI: the full tour

This is probably one of the best zune video UI demonstrations I have seen on the net.

I can't wait til my 32GB pre-order from Dell arrives tomorrow to listen to KEXP on HD!
happy_face1.gif

Thanks for that link, I'll definitely be using it for passing around so others can get a fantastic overview of what the UI looks and works like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back