ZuneHD...so does it sound good?
Sep 18, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #61 of 92
I wish the Zune Pass would have a lossless section, I've been a zune pass member since the start and that is the only thing missing.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #62 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am still amazed that people can never understand the appeal of subscription music. while i can understand the POV that one would prefer to OWN every track, there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for the advantags of a subscription service.

for $15 dollars i get to OWN 10 tracks a month, plus have unlimited access to the entire library on 3 portable devices and 3 computers. how can nobody not see the appeal to that?

someone can name me a group, like a coworker did today, Moderat. i didnt have to go pay 10 bucks for the whole album, nor was i stuck trying to judge a whole album by 30 second clips of each song. i simply downloaded the whole thing - if i dont like it, i am not out any money that has only gone to that artist vs a subscription service that i can keep on using to check out a ton of artists.

with the free 10 tracks i get a month, if you go an average of $1 a track, that reallyl means for 5 bucks a month i get to rent a library of millions of songs, which really makes music exploration a real joy.

the biggest downfall to the zune music pass is that vs. rhapsody, the electronic music selection is poor.

The unfortunate yet obvious answer to this is that for FREE anyone can own any album/track in 320kbps MP3 or lossless FLAC any time of the day simply by searching google for said album (even if it isn't out yet!). Furthermore there are likely 100s of times more albums available, no shortage of any particular genre and no limitations.

That is why there is no appeal for subscription music.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #63 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The unfortunate yet obvious answer to this is that for FREE anyone can own any album/track in 320kbps MP3 or lossless FLAC any time of the day simply by searching google for said album (even if it isn't out yet!). Furthermore there are likely 100s of times more albums available, no shortage of any particular genre and no limitations.

That is why there is no appeal for subscription music.

Well that is illegal and in a way you can argue that it would be easier to steal a car than work a job 9-5 to pay for it.

I am a zune fanboy and i am planning to get the zune hd this weekend. But i feel like that there is an undeserved amount of hate towards the zune hd. I just hope that the device has more apps and things in the future. Also from my personal experience zunes have always sounded better than ipods. When i compare between my zune 120 and my friends iphone 3g i feel my zune wins hands down.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #64 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that is illegal and in a way you can argue that it would be easier to steal a car than work a job 9-5 to pay for it.

Yeah that is one way to look at it, however I have this image that if you steal a car you get caught and punished, if you steal an MP3 you don't... with your analogy it's like sports cars lined up on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition and a sign on the window saying steal me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a zune fanboy and i am planning to get the zune hd this weekend. But i feel like that there is an undeserved amount of hate towards the zune hd. I just hope that the device has more apps and things in the future. Also from my personal experience zunes have always sounded better than ipods. When i compare between my zune 120 and my friends iphone 3g i feel my zune wins hands down.

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy however I have compared my 4GB Zune with a new 3G iPhone and found the apple to be muddy, 'bassier' perhaps... the Zune had the edge on clarity... is this what you found? I also read an article once I think it was sterophile, saying after a poll they found that more 'audiophiles' owned Zunes than the Apple alternative.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #65 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by alias71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The people at Engadget think differently from you and, at least, describe some characteristics of the sound quality: deeper bass, wider soundstage, etc.
Can you articulate better what are the sound quality characteristics where the iPod Touch wins hands down?

iPod Touch excels in sound quality

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #66 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod Touch excels in sound quality

FTA: "To try them out, I ran them into the audio input jack in my car, which is how I most often listen to portable music. I turned each device up to just below maximum volume (I've heard my iPhone distort at its max), and made sure the EQ settings were completely flat."

He did his audio test with car speakers - I stopped reading, after I read that.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #67 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... the guys pushing 60, give him a break!
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #68 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FTA: "To try them out, I ran them into the audio input jack in my car, which is how I most often listen to portable music. I turned each device up to just below maximum volume (I've heard my iPhone distort at its max), and made sure the EQ settings were completely flat."

You just have to hear both, side by side to make a truly informed decision. The Zune HD is a huge improvement over its previous model. It looks cool, and has a nice screen. But, Navigation, ease of use, comparable SQ, make the iTouch/iPhone the choice for me. But to each his own. Aesthetically, IMO, I think the iTouch looks better aside from the OLED screen.

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #69 of 92
Quote:

Yeah that is one way to look at it, however I have this image that if you steal a car you get caught and punished, if you steal an MP3 you don't... with your analogy it's like sports cars lined up on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition and a sign on the window saying steal me.

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy however I have compared my 4GB Zune with a new 3G iPhone and found the apple to be muddy, 'bassier' perhaps... the Zune had the edge on clarity... is this what you found? I also read an article once I think it was sterophile, saying after a poll they found that more 'audiophiles' owned Zunes than the Apple alternative.

Yeah i think that kinda describes of what i have found with the zune...i just find that the sound stage is better and more involving with the zune. Maybe i just like the sound signature better...

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #71 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a Wolfson DAC, it very likely sounds as good or bad as the next Wolfson player (Cowon, Meizu, iPod, etc).. no, I haven't heard the Zune, but I heard about a dozen players with Wolfson DACs in their circuits, and they all sounded ok-ish.

Sorry not being critical or picky here, but I have noticed in your Profile that you use a few Cowons in your collection and dont these all use Wolfson as well, plus the Cowon S9 is meant to be a very good SQ player and doesnt this also use Wolfson as well, just a personal question and not having a go at you.

Also how would you compare Wolfson against Burr Brown/TI ?

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #72 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurnThePage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought and am soon returning the 3G iPod Touch as it sounds crap. Maybe the ZHD will be the 'one' =D!

I thought the 3G was supposed to be above-average.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #73 of 92
Quote:

Woman fined to tune of $1.9 million for illegal downloads - CNN.com

Woman fined to tune of $1.9 million for illegal downloads

By Elianne Friend
CNN

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at the fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the association was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions.

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #75 of 92
I think I am going to sell my Zune 120 and buy a zune HD 32 gb. It just makes more sense to me, and I wont buy an iPhone like I was planning on doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back