ZuneHD...so does it sound good?
Sep 15, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 92
Makes sense. I have not done anything like an ABX test. My sense is that the S9, even flat is more detailed and has more "space" than the iPod. Speaking hypothetically, since I am not an engineer by any definition, it may be that while a DAC is important in the design of a DAP and its sound, there is more to it, such as amplifier, layout, software, etc. And while I use the Claw UI, which improves things, I wish that the S9 had a better and swifter UI. The 5.0 ipod is still easier to use - an advantage that Apple gave away with the Classic.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have my old Zune 30 anymore, but so far I think it has a similar sound. Still testing some stuff.

It has a similar EQ to the Zune 30 - a few presets, but no custom EQ that I can find.

Is it as thin sounding as the 30? I agree with the ABI review that the high/low frequencies aren't extended very much.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 92
I did some quick tests between my D2 and the new ZuneHD - HD 600's and my MiniBox E+. Without any EQ or JetEffects, I don't notice a major difference between the two (which I would think makes sense, if the chipsets used are similar).

However, with the EQ / BBE effects on , the D2 clearly wins out. Granted, the return of the Zune EQ does make a difference and it doesn't sound bad at all, but the Cowon just has too many settings to play with. And my Gigabeat F / Rockbox blows them both away, again due to the amount of tweaking I can do. From what I can recall from the Zune 30, I believe the Zune HD has a similar sound.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 92
the problem with chip specs though, is that they never perform as they should on paper. plug in a pair of headphones to the jack and find out that not a single of the numbers are in any way realistic. the zune is famous for clean signal with very good stereo separation. the signal may be the best of full production units from any large company.

what the zune does suffer from is rolled off bass, but that is pretty normal in the dap universe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sochee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Engadget the chip used is a WM8352, which means the sound quality should be good.

Specs for the chip can be found here: Wolfson Microelectronics plc: WM8352

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #20 of 92
Hope someone chimes in soon with an SQ evaluation...that's the only thing that's stopping me from digging further into my paypal account...

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope someone chimes in soon with an SQ evaluation...that's the only thing that's stopping me from digging further into my paypal account...

I just boxed mine up, as I'm going to return it. That's my eval.
atsmile.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some quick tests between my D2 and the new ZuneHD - HD 600's and my MiniBox E+. Without any EQ or JetEffects, I don't notice a major difference between the two (which I would think makes sense, if the chipsets used are similar).

However, with the EQ / BBE effects on , the D2 clearly wins out. Granted, the return of the Zune EQ does make a difference and it doesn't sound bad at all, but the Cowon just has too many settings to play with. And my Gigabeat F / Rockbox blows them both away, again due to the amount of tweaking I can do. From what I can recall from the Zune 30, I believe the Zune HD has a similar sound.

Im not going to comment on your eval compared to the cowon daps.. but ill have to disagree with you on your assessment vs the Zune 30.

There is a difference and the sound is better on th zuneHD than the zune 30. Mind you .. the EQ on he zune 30 appears to be more pronounced. But on a direct 30vsHD using the same files and headphones the HD is a more fuller sounding dap.

I will defer to your opinion vs the cowons and considering they obviously have more user controls to manipulate the sound to your liking they obviously would win out.. but flat output ... I think the SQ is excellent.

Cheers

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not going to comment on your eval compared to the cowon daps.. but ill have to disagree with you on your assessment vs the Zune 30.

There is a difference and the sound is better on th zuneHD than the zune 30. Mind you .. the EQ on he zune 30 appears to be more pronounced. But on a direct 30vsHD using the same files and headphones the HD is a more fuller sounding dap.

I will defer to your opinion vs the cowons and considering they obviously have more user controls to manipulate the sound to your liking they obviously would win out.. but flat output ... I think the SQ is excellent.

Cheers

I had to go on memory with my Zune 30, as I had sold it a few months back. So, I would defer to your comparisons, on that.

As for the Zune HD, I agree that the sound is very good and certainly holds its own with my Cowon if the JetEffects are off - I had actually dropped quite a few albums on it and had listened to it for several hours. But, subjectively, I enjoy a nice full sound with deep bass, and I didn't get that with the unit. It's mainly because the EQ presets, although a welcome addition, does not give the control I need to tweak the sound to what I like best. I guess I am so spoiled now with the D2 JetEffects and Rockbox that it really is hard to go back. Btw, source files are always important with testing - I used a few Pop/Rock, some acoustic guitar music as well as classical. I thought the Zune HD did a better job on the guitar / classical tracks than the Pop/Rock.

The main reason I actually decided to return the unit was the announcement that MS is not offering an SDK for the App Store. What this basically means is that they are crippling that offering which, imo, makes the Wifi practically useless (I don't care for web browsing on a tiny screen. But enabling possible Wifi applications like last.fm or pandora would have been very nice). HD Radio, while a nice feature, isn't really enough for me to keep it. I am also looking at an S9 since I believe its EQ will probably be more in line to what I'm used to.

If I get an S9 before I return the Zune HD, I'll do a quick SQ comparison between them, as well.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 92
I don't know why you guys would buy this in the first place. It's such a limited functionality device. I listened to it at my local best buy and it sounds just like a regular Zune, which is good, but not worth the 200 bucks for something that does even less than an iPod Touch, which at least lets you listen to far more internet radio, check email, add apps, etc despite being a similar waste of money.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #27 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why you guys would buy this in the first place. It's such a limited functionality device. I listened to it at my local best buy and it sounds just like a regular Zune, which is good, but not worth the 200 bucks for something that does even less than an iPod Touch, which at least lets you listen to far more internet radio, check email, add apps, etc despite being a similar waste of money.

The Zune HD does all of those things...

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #28 of 92
Does anyone know how the sound quality compares to the Sony Walkman NWZ-a729s/829s? Clear bass was a big feature on why I picked it up even though Sony's interface is complete balls. The moment I saw the Zune HDs design and interface, I completely fell in love! They really upped this aspect tenfold and It's almost tempting enough to outweigh the SQ.

Granted my Sonys still work fine, but a nice reference for when the Zunes drop in price.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #29 of 92
These bashing comments, only after using for a couple of days, make me laugh.
I ordered both the Touch G3 and Zune HD but personally, I put more hope on the HD than on the Touch which I'm so fed up with.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #30 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So anyone know if this little bugger has gapless playback? That's the only thing making me stay with the iPods

Yes it does. And mine sounds great by the way. A good bit better than my Fuze, plus the UI is simply amazing (as well as the device itself). The presets sound pretty good, but I would have preferred a custom EQ. Though seriously, if you need to EQ your headphones, then you should not care about sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back