ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,346 of 12,532
LOL @ different socks. Did you mismatch your actual socks as well? If not, you need to. :gs1000smile:

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #3,347 of 12,532
Speaking of pads.. I accidentally left home for vacation with the VC wearing two different socks :)

Still sound good..

1595967880827.jpeg
That's taking the hybrid concept to another level! :L3000:

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #3,348 of 12,532
The VCs with Universe pads kick like a mule. I’m very satisfied for electronic music!

I have the VC (monkeypod) and use the Universe pads for their more dynamic presentation. I listen to a lot of electronic music. The VCs do well, but I would say the sub-bass is a little light without EQ. Not terrible but not quite as much as I'd like. The rest of the bass is plentiful. It responds to a sub boost EQ fairly well though.

I don't have the A2C but I do have an AFC (original version). The sound is said to be very different between the AFC and the A2C, so comments about one are not valid for the other. The AFC is weak in the bass but surprisingly capable in the sub bass, and the A2C is said to have fixed this bass weakness. If so, it may give the VC some real competition in the bass regions since planar drivers tend to do better with sub bass.

Dynamics are definitely better on the VC, and I'd expect the VC to top the A2C for dynamics too, based on what I've read, though I'm speculating.

The other thing I'd say is that if you want a bright presentation with lots of treble the VC may disappoint. And the VC uses cup reverb to add a bit of its own room effect, so if you want the snappiest kicks in EDM you might notice them linger and resonate a little longer in the VC. I haven't really found this to be intrusive though - overall the VC's presentation has been lush but also dynamic and enjoyable, and there's a good but subtle room-like feel on much EDM. If I had to choose between the VC and the original AFC it would be easy to choose the VC (so long as I could EQ the subs up a bit and occasionally the treble). But the A2C is still a headphone I'd like to hear because reviews have been extremely positive, and I'd like to compare it to the VC for soundstage and sub bass.

I have the feeling that a V-shaped response often works best for electronic music, and that's not really what the VC is about. But it is still a good headphone for electronic music, because it's dynamic, lush but clean, and snappy.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #3,349 of 12,532
Speaking of pads.. I accidentally left home for vacation with the VC wearing two different socks :)

Still sound good..

1595967880827.jpeg
Life’s too short for matching socks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #3,350 of 12,532
I have the VC (monkeypod) and use the Universe pads for their more dynamic presentation. I listen to a lot of electronic music. The VCs do well, but I would say the sub-bass is a little light without EQ. Not terrible but not quite as much as I'd like. The rest of the bass is plentiful. It responds to a sub boost EQ fairly well though.

I don't have the A2C but I do have an AFC (original version). The sound is said to be very different between the AFC and the A2C, so comments about one are not valid for the other. The AFC is weak in the bass but surprisingly capable in the sub bass, and the A2C is said to have fixed this bass weakness. If so, it may give the VC some real competition in the bass regions since planar drivers tend to do better with sub bass.

Dynamics are definitely better on the VC, and I'd expect the VC to top the A2C for dynamics too, based on what I've read, though I'm speculating.

The other thing I'd say is that if you want a bright presentation with lots of treble the VC may disappoint. And the VC uses cup reverb to add a bit of its own room effect, so if you want the snappiest kicks in EDM you might notice them linger and resonate a little longer in the VC. I haven't really found this to be intrusive though - overall the VC's presentation has been lush but also dynamic and enjoyable, and there's a good but subtle room-like feel on much EDM. If I had to choose between the VC and the original AFC it would be easy to choose the VC (so long as I could EQ the subs up a bit and occasionally the treble). But the A2C is still a headphone I'd like to hear because reviews have been extremely positive, and I'd like to compare it to the VC for soundstage and sub bass.

I have the feeling that a V-shaped response often works best for electronic music, and that's not really what the VC is about. But it is still a good headphone for electronic music, because it's dynamic, lush but clean, and snappy.
Agree with everything here tbh. What I've found with the VC that no other headphone I've heard has given me is that visceral thump. When called for, there's insane driver/air movement that can really pound you and this lends it a "thrilling" quality that's really special. I've only used it with solid states so there's potential for even more bass/slam/insertdesirablequality but perhaps low output impedance helps with minimising the decay and thus lending better to electronic music that demands a controlled, snappy response at the expense of a more organic, live sound?

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #3,351 of 12,532
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a set without ever having heard Verite Closed (or the open, for that matter). I normally wouldn't buy headphones at that price point without first listening to them. There are several reasons why I did so:

1. Monsterzero's review;
2. My past experience with Zach Mehrbach, both in listening to his headphones way back in August of 2015 and with the ZMF Verite Silver hybrid cable I purchased for my HiFiMAN HE-1000 headphones, which are amazing so far (not even fully burned in yet);
3. The epic audiophilestyle review written by Josh Mound;
4. Helpful and well thought out posts by so many Head-Fi members, and some private messages as well.

So I've joined the ranks of others who've taken the plunge, including, but of course not limited to:
Monsterzero
Heliosphann
Klmahnn
Wildcatsare1
Lmusicman
Bryceu
Karnicopia
Malevolent
SteveM324
Ciggavelli
Maszynista1987
TonyNewman
Josh Mound (he ordered and received a pair of Verite Closed after returning his review set; he has also ordered a pair of Verite Open headphones)

.....and so many, many others.........:headphones::slight_smile:

Welcome in, the waters fine! I'm absolutely loving mine, bar none, these are (too my ears/taste) best headphones I've owned! With the WA5 (KR or EML300b), Hugo 2, it suits my music. I've heard people say they are ”good, all-rounders, ” and that they are, and since my musical taste is extremely varied, is the perfect combination!

I look forward to reading about your experiences with the VC!

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #3,352 of 12,532
~6 month or so update: my VC is still my daily driver for hours every day and I'm still excited to put them on every single time. I talked about using AutoEQ to tune them like the LCD-4 before... I ended up settling on an extremely subtle EQ that just cuts a decibel from 2.4, 2.7, 5 and 8.2 kHz with a half decibel boost at 1.3, 3.2 and 6.3. I whittled it down to applying just enough tweak to let me crank the guitars up without any piercing notes on some of the more extreme metal I listen to. I don't turn the "LCD-4 emulation" up, but I do leave this EQ on all the time. Doesn't perceptibly change the essential sound, just lets me get the volume right where I want it with heavy stuff.

I've been really lazy about selling this #08 Rosson RAD-0 I have. I'm actually starting to think about trading it for a second VC so I could keep one babied at home and bring one out and about with a little less worry about it getting hurt. If the RAD-0 was closed-back and still sounded as good, it would be competitive, but sounding as open as it does with all the perks of being closed makes the VC a hands-down winner for me. I'm not even sure why I keep my modded/EQ'd HD800 as backup at this point.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #3,353 of 12,532
I'm the cautious type, too - I wouldn't buy stuff unless I have personally tested them. This is especially relevant for products that provide a thoroughly subjective experience, such as headphones. Nevertheless, I am confident that you will enjoy the Vérité Closed. :)

You were right!

Welcome in, the waters fine! I'm absolutely loving mine, bar none, these are (too my ears/taste) best headphones I've owned! With the WA5 (KR or EML300b), Hugo 2, it suits my music. I've heard people say they are ”good, all-rounders, ” and that they are, and since my musical taste is extremely varied, is the perfect combination!

I look forward to reading about your experiences with the VC!

Well, as I posted earlier, I thought they'd be very good, but didn't expect that they'd be as astoundingly fabulous as they are. I really need to do more listening before I post anything that resembles a review--even a mini review. This isn't because I have any doubts about how amazing they are; it's because I want to collect more impressions and gather my thoughts so that I'll have something potentially useful to add to this thread. For now, suffice it to say that my impressions are right there with those of the people posting high superlative praise (including, but certainly not limited to, Monsterzero and Josh Mound).

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,354 of 12,532
I like the Eikon, but it's not in the same league as the VC. Maybe a tad more impact, but it's much more musically satisfying on the VC (IMO), the bass, speed, clarity (this is a very difficult, but unique advantage of the VC, there is zero overhang). The VC is my go too headphone for rock!

Just saw these comments about Eikon bass vs VC bass. I'd say that without EQ the Eikon may have a touch more sub bass, but it has less of the rest of the bass. The emphasis is on higher frequencies, particularly high mids and low treble. So the feeling when you come from the Eikon (as I did) is of a darker signature with the VC, but once you get used to it you just find it musically well balanced. I run a little bit of EQ to raise frequencies below 50Hz slightly on the VC, but not everyone would want this. With that touch of EQ I miss nothing about the Eikon's bass - there is so much heft and power to the VC's sound across the board, including the bass.

I feel like the Eikon imparts a particular colour, and a little extra widening of the stage, which I enjoy and which is fantastic on some music. It's harder to describe, but it's edgy and crispy, and somehow a little reassuringly vintage, and hints at a giant musical space hovering around you. The VC is more balanced and transparent and, for that reason, more versatile. From time to time the Eikon makes me think "I love it when you do that!" and the VC can't act like an Eikon. (Although when I put the Eikon's pads on the VC it was actually surprising how much of the Eikon's timbre was transferred with them.) But the one that makes me forget the headphones altogether and just enjoy music is the VC. For someone who has spent a lot of time worrying about headphones, this is a relief!

Anyway, I wouldn't hold off the VC on account of slightly reduced sub bass compared to the Eikon, even for someone who loves the Eikon. Bass as a whole is bigger and more impactful and altogether more exciting on the VC, it's cleaner too, and you can raise the subs to near-Eikon levels with EQ should you want to. So I wouldn't even say the Eikon has more bass impact than the VC, as a subjective experience.

With all that said, the Eikon is a friend at this point and I still enjoy its unique take on the music. If I were forced to pick one, however... sorry Eikon, they made me do it...

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,355 of 12,532
Measurements show a low treble dip which looks on a graph a bit like that of the focal Elear, yet I’ve hardly heard this mentioned by anyone, whereas it’s widely annoying to people with the elear. Sorry to measurebate in public, but am I missing something?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #3,356 of 12,532
~6 month or so update: my VC is still my daily driver for hours every day and I'm still excited to put them on every single time. I talked about using AutoEQ to tune them like the LCD-4 before... I ended up settling on an extremely subtle EQ that just cuts a decibel from 2.4, 2.7, 5 and 8.2 kHz with a half decibel boost at 1.3, 3.2 and 6.3. I whittled it down to applying just enough tweak to let me crank the guitars up without any piercing notes on some of the more extreme metal I listen to. I don't turn the "LCD-4 emulation" up, but I do leave this EQ on all the time. Doesn't perceptibly change the essential sound, just lets me get the volume right where I want it with heavy stuff.

I've been really lazy about selling this #08 Rosson RAD-0 I have. I'm actually starting to think about trading it for a second VC so I could keep one babied at home and bring one out and about with a little less worry about it getting hurt. If the RAD-0 was closed-back and still sounded as good, it would be competitive, but sounding as open as it does with all the perks of being closed makes the VC a hands-down winner for me. I'm not even sure why I keep my modded/EQ'd HD800 as backup at this point.

LCD-4 and VC is the road I am going to be on at some point also...Spinkle in the ZMF Ori
And I also had the HD800 for years, but sold it as it did not get enough head time for me.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #3,357 of 12,532
Measurements show a low treble dip which looks on a graph a bit like that of the focal Elear, yet I’ve hardly heard this mentioned by anyone, whereas it’s widely annoying to people with the elear. Sorry to measurebate in public, but am I missing something?

Which frequencies are you thinking of? Most graphs show the Elear with a dip at 4-5KHz and a peak at 6KHz, while the VC appears to have a dip at 3KHz, a little bump at about 4.5KHz, a dip again to 6KHz before rising again around 7 to 8.5KHz approximately. From that you'd expect these to sound different. Some people are sensitive to a 6KHz peak, which is present on the Elear graphs but not the Vérité Closed as far as I can see.

Anyway, the VC sounds nice. I haven't heard the Elear.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #3,358 of 12,532
Just saw these comments about Eikon bass vs VC bass. I'd say that without EQ the Eikon may have a touch more sub bass, but it has less of the rest of the bass. The emphasis is on higher frequencies, particularly high mids and low treble. So the feeling when you come from the Eikon (as I did) is of a darker signature with the VC, but once you get used to it you just find it musically well balanced. I run a little bit of EQ to raise frequencies below 50Hz slightly on the VC, but not everyone would want this. With that touch of EQ I miss nothing about the Eikon's bass - there is so much heft and power to the VC's sound across the board, including the bass.

I feel like the Eikon imparts a particular colour, and a little extra widening of the stage, which I enjoy and which is fantastic on some music. It's harder to describe, but it's edgy and crispy and hints at a giant musical space hovering around you. The VC is more balanced and transparent and, for that reason, more versatile. From time to time on the Eikon I think "I love it when you do that!" But the one that makes me forget the headphones altogether and just enjoy music is the VC. For someone who has spent a lot of time worrying about headphones, this is a relief!

Anyway, I wouldn't hold off the VC on account of slightly reduced sub bass compared to the Eikon, even for someone who loves the Eikon. Bass as a whole is bigger and more impactful and altogether more exciting on the VC, it's cleaner too, and you can raise the subs to Eikon levels with EQ should you want to. So I wouldn't even say the Eikon has more bass impact than the VC, as a subjective experience.

With all that said, the Eikon is a friend at this point and I still enjoy its unique take on the music. If I were forced to pick one, however... sorry Eikon, they made me do it...
Im not a pad rolling expert but with the Auteur non-perf pads in place the sub bass im getting is fantastic. Not on the quantity level of my HD250s,which is the King of Sub bass that ive heard,but tighter and enough presence that my 250s are collecting dust,along with all of my other headphones.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #3,359 of 12,532
It seems like a valid question to me. I find measurements are an excellent guide, but don't always translate to what you hear (YMMV IMO etc. etc.) All I can say is that during my time with the VC, it wasn't noticeable, whereas with the Elear, I did notice it but didn't find it objectionable... the peaks of the Elear are what prompted me to sell mine. IDK if the extra wood colorations cancels out frequencies creating a measurement dip (or if that's even possible) but the VC sounded linear through the mids, a touch polite perhaps but I personally find that preferable. My 2cents (minus inflation doesn't leave you much)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #3,360 of 12,532
It seems like a valid question to me. I find measurements are an excellent guide, but don't always translate to what you hear (YMMV IMO etc. etc.) All I can say is that during my time with the VC, it wasn't noticeable, whereas with the Elear, I did notice it but didn't find it objectionable... the peaks of the Elear are what prompted me to sell mine. IDK if the extra wood colorations cancels out frequencies creating a measurement dip (or if that's even possible) but the VC sounded linear through the mids, a touch polite perhaps but In personally find that preferable. My 2cents (minus inflation doesn't leave you much)

That's fair as is what the other guy said. I think I am in the habit of thinking I know how something sounds by looking at measurements which obviously isn't true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back