ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 24, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #2,251 of 12,513
Well just got some bad medical news, nothing life-threatening, but painful. The contract I picked up required a lot of hoofing it, developed severe pain in my right hip, just was diagnosed with avascular necrosis (lack of blood flow resulting in dead bone). So, the bad news is I'm going to need hip replacement and rebuild, the good news, I'll have lots of time to listen to the VC, VO, and my new KR300b tubes! Plus, I can finally finish my review of the VC, in comparison to the VO and Aeolus!

On a happier note, listening to the hi-res version of the Grateful Dead’s ”July 1978, Complete Recordings” on Qobuz, holy moly! I attended a couple of their concerns in ’78 and this is the closest I've come to wanting to do the ”Dead dance, ” in many, many years!
That's bittersweet, hope it goes well!

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #2,252 of 12,513
So after quite a long hiatus with the VC (I wanted to give my other headphones a run while I waited for a suede strap) I've come back to them this evening and put on Yosi Horikawa's Wandering EP to start and felt compelled to gush all over again. They're just on another level. So damn complete! Tonality, detail retrieval, slam, stage, imaging... there's just so much texture to everything and... so much feeling. You hear and you feel it all... everything is so RIGHT.

The new marble effect VC's look absolutely stunning as well, Zach's craftsmanship is absolutely outstanding!

Submotion Orchestra - Finest Hour album on next. Universe pads for the bass :)

Here's the first track in case anyone wants to check them out:

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #2,253 of 12,513
Has anyone tried VC with Chord Mojo?
I somewhat experience a kind of closed sound but not in the soundstage. Maybe clarity. Especially when listening to distortion guitars it sounds like the music is struggling to ravel out. I experienced the same thing with my Centrance dacportable as well which is similar to Mojo in terms of power and quality (I guess). They both provide around 700 mW at 32 ohms. Is it because VC needs more power or the quality of the Dac of these portable devices are not enough for VC? Any ideas?
*By the way, I didn’t burn in the VC. I’ve used it for around 20 hours now.

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,254 of 12,513
I am a fan of the EML 300Bs (mesh and plate). They need 300ish hours to peak, I think. So assuming you have new tubes, you have a lot to look forward to.

Thanks Tony, they are burning in nicely, do you have a preferred rectifier tube?

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,255 of 12,513
That's bittersweet, hope it goes well!

Thanks so much, plus found a great buy on a pair of EML300bs, they were to be backups for the KR, but I think I like them more.

Feb 25, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,256 of 12,513
Thanks Tony, they are burning in nicely, do you have a preferred rectifier tube?

My Glenn 300b amp was using PY500s, but has been modded to use SS rectification. When I owned the WA5 I was rocking the TA274Bs for a while. Awesome tube, but crazy pricey. I have a bunch of others that I have run through my WA6. Second best would be the CV1863 / 5Z4G from the UK.

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #2,257 of 12,513
My Glenn 300b amp was using PY500s, but has been modded to use SS rectification. When I owned the WA5 I was rocking the TA274Bs for a while. Awesome tube, but crazy pricey. I have a bunch of others that I have run through my WA6. Second best would be the CV1863 / 5Z4G from the UK.

Thanks so much, I appreciate the advice!

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #2,258 of 12,513
Has anyone tried VC with Chord Mojo?
I somewhat experience a kind of closed sound but not in the soundstage. Maybe clarity. Especially when listening to distortion guitars it sounds like the music is struggling to ravel out. I experienced the same thing with my Centrance dacportable as well which is similar to Mojo in terms of power and quality (I guess). They both provide around 700 mW at 32 ohms. Is it because VC needs more power or the quality of the Dac of these portable devices are not enough for VC? Any ideas?
*By the way, I didn’t burn in the VC. I’ve used it for around 20 hours now.

I too would like to know what portable amp works well with Verite Closed - I sold my Kann Cube because it was too underpowered for my Diana Phi. Expecting the VC later this week and I thought I would use my Ifi Black Label Micro DSD but the performance is too hit and miss for my tastes - some days it sounds glorious and others it it buggy and/or clips at moderate-high volumes. I have Mscaler/chord Dave/audio gd Master 9 for my desktop so I’m set there. I look forward to the day when I can listen to tunes while doing chores or cooking and not having my daughters pester me for listening to “headphones with holes in them - what’s the point in that?’“

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,260 of 12,513
I too would like to know what portable amp works well with Verite Closed - I sold my Kann Cube because it was too underpowered for my Diana Phi. Expecting the VC later this week and I thought I would use my Ifi Black Label Micro DSD but the performance is too hit and miss for my tastes - some days it sounds glorious and others it it buggy and/or clips at moderate-high volumes. I have Mscaler/chord Dave/audio gd Master 9 for my desktop so I’m set there. I look forward to the day when I can listen to tunes while doing chores or cooking and not having my daughters pester me for listening to “headphones with holes in them - what’s the point in that?’“
FWIW I love the Verite Open out of the Micro Black. It also seems to benefit more than most headphones when using the 3D+ switch. It seems to increase the height of the soundstage making the overall presentation more holographic.

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #2,261 of 12,513
Mar 1, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #2,263 of 12,513
Took a quick cellphone pick of my new Salire leopard wood and purple people eaters

58D1981A-AE4A-42CF-935C-472FD48ACE75.jpeg

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #2,264 of 12,513
Took a quick cellphone pick of my new Salire leopard wood and purple people eaters

58D1981A-AE4A-42CF-935C-472FD48ACE75.jpeg
Hey now, having that much beauty and awesomeness in such a small space is just not fair!

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #2,265 of 12,513
Just got my Monkeypod VC, and I was disappointed with how congested it sounded it until I swapped to the Universe pads, and, OMG, the clarity! Almost too bright now, but part of it is probably the upper midrange peak that should go away with burn in. Might need to look into the Hybrid pads. But then again, that congestion could be in no small part due to the fact that the best amp I have is a Magni 3, so I've just now ordered a Drop THX AAA 789 (I want "neutral" and as little distortion as possible - not looking to get a tube amp - own a WA3 or something like that).

Here is a low-quality cell pic, taken as soon as I opened the box, just as evidence that I actually own it.

Please ignore my post history before this post - I've learned a lot about headphone appreciation since then (for an example, I no longer prefer my KSC-75 to my pre-fazor LCD-2, haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

• LXMc
Back