ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 19, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #2,221 of 12,461
Never tried them on an Auteur, only a VC. I still have the hybrid pads though. I'll throw them on my Auteur and see how they sound. Not sure if Zach has or is getting perforated hybrid Auteur pads. The hybrid part does open them up similar to what perf pads do. Just make sure you don't use perf pads on the VC's, no bueno...
Thanks @heliosphann , I'd love to hear your impression of Hybrid pads on Auteur.

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #2,223 of 12,461
Feb 20, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,224 of 12,461
Received 12/27/2019. WA33 EE with the ZMF Verite Pheasantwood open. I IMG_20200220_065610998.jpgt is amazing!!!!

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,225 of 12,461
@eric75, @chrisdrop, @heliosphann thank you for the recommendation that auteur / hybrid pads are a great option.

I am considering Auteur hybrid pads for all of things, my Auteur. Can either of you describe how they differ from full lambskin or suede? Also are they perforated as I think generally produces better soundstage? Thanks for any impressions.
I can only speak about the hybrids on the VC, as I sold my Auteur to fund an amp upgrade. on the VC, what i noticed with the Auteur hybrids (solid leather walls, suede top that touches your face) vs the solid leather Auteur pads is a tempering of the treble. that's the biggest change i noted. bass sounds just a touch softer as well, but i'm struggling to say that in a definitive way. after a few swaps just now i'm torn on if that's the case or not. mids seem more or less the same, with upper mids losing just a bit of energy (which i like). once up in the treble i'm noticing the biggest differences. where the all leather auteur pads would occasionally feel too bright, the hybrids don't. they get about as close as i'll get to that line of too bright (for me), but don't cross over. i use them when i want a more balanced sound from the VC. i find the VC with auteur hybrid pads to sound very very close to the Auteur with the Auteur perforated leather pads. the VC is still a shade darker, but it's close. oh, i find no difference in soundstage between the hybrid and all leather Auteur pads on the VC.

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #2,229 of 12,461
I'm torn, do I get these or the stellia. I have no way of trying before buying.

I want maximum resolution, detail and imaging.
I want a recessed sub bass, forward mids and smooth highs
Well on this thread I'm pretty sure I know the answer you'll get :wink:

Bummer you won't get to demo 1st, that is always best case scenario. You chain of equipment will matter as well.
Everyone has a different idea of neutral so it's a tough call...I think the VC is not neutral in the sub bass, but it's not overly emphasized IMO. Detailis excellent, but not "in your face the mids are just right & the highs are smooth for my tastes as well. I haven't spent any time with the Stellia, so I couldn't compare.

I was just going to suggest the same headphones.com article @spanyam linked...excellent stuff there IMO.

Good luck!

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #2,230 of 12,461
For what it's worth..

I did quick a/b between Stellia and VC a short while ago. Both on stock cables, same system setup.

Ended up ordering the VC. The Stellia to me had quite a bit of a closed in and tinny sound. In contrast, I own the Utopia and absolutely love it. I really wanted to like the Stellia and take it home, but my ears just told me no.

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #2,231 of 12,461
I'm torn, do I get these or the stellia. I have no way of trying before buying.

I want maximum resolution, detail and imaging.
I want a recessed sub bass, forward mids and smooth highs

That description.. seems like u may like the Utopia.

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,232 of 12,461
Feb 21, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #2,233 of 12,461
Feb 21, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #2,235 of 12,461
This headphone is so good, I can't think how it could be improved. Bought on the basis of this thread (dealer's 400miles away) and no regrets - it's got just the right amount of everything. Was a bit harsh when brand new but 96hrs of burn-in completely changed it's character. Zach should receive the medal of honour for services to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back