ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 24, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #3,316 of 12,522
Well, just an update on the recent addition of the VC Ironwoods. I am really enjoying the sound now. What a great set of headphones. I had to move up from the flat stock cable, and play with output options on the RME, but the sound is really well defined now, with good soundstage, instrument separation, tonal balance, solid tight bass, with open highs. I'm really enjoying the music right now.

Here is the chain I am using.
Ipad Pro (Usb-c) (Streaming Qobuz) --> RME ADI-2 Dac/Amp --> Purist (PAD) Venustas Rev C XLR Cables --> GS-X Mini --> Norne S3 XLR headphone cable --> ZMF Verite Closed Ironwoods.

I'm always open for suggestions on how to improve the chain (at moderate expense). If you see any glaring weak links, please let me know.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying these and I also have a RME ADI pro (just because I actually value the A/D conversion but I'd also suggest your next upgrade path would probably be a dedicated audio source or streamer and that's what I'm looking into now. I had switched from USB to Optical into the RME ADI pro and I think the RME does an amazing job rejecting noise from power lines but if there is noise on the signal you feed into it I think that can affect the sound and when I went from a laptop or any wireless device I think this noise had an impact. I switched to optical into the RME instead of USB from my PC and it sounded significantly better to me but that is because I think I have noisy power (you may have some of this as well and I think we all do to some point but this is something that depends person to person so this may not be a big issue in your system). So I think I would try out different ways to get audio into the RME and then I want to get a dedicated audio streamer that can get clean audio into the RME I feel like if I can clean up that process that is one of the last thing that is really limiting things for me from a noise perspective.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #3,317 of 12,522
The Verite's all come with our Japanese OFC wire as stock, and the flat wound cable as a thrown in extra/second cable when bought directly from ZMF.
Zach, are these the cables that you were referring to? In any case, my order was placed through a distributor, so this cable might not come packaged together.

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #3,318 of 12,522
Zach, are these the cables that you were referring to? In any case, my order was placed through a distributor, so this cable might not come packaged together.

Yep that's the one. All dealers are sent the OFC cables with the Verite's.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #3,319 of 12,522
Just a quick shot during a late night listening session. These came in yesterday and I couldn't be more excited!

20200725_012947.jpg

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #3,320 of 12,522
I’d look into a new source and/or usb reclocker. Before upgrading, I never really thought music servers or streamers would make any difference, but they actually make a big difference. I was just using my pc as a source, and I thought everything was all good. I then added the Innuos Phoenix reclocker, and was blown away with how much better things sounded. So, I bought the Zenith Mk3 server and that too brought about sound quality improvements.

If you’ve never heard a reclocker before, I’d suggest trying the UpTone Audio ISO REGEN with the LPS1.2 power supply. It’s under $1K for both and there’s a return window. I think you will be blown away with the ISO REGEN. And if you’re not, you can return it

You nailed the 1st most important chain-component; get great headphones. Congrats! Nice headphones!

I really support this comment by @Ciggavelli. Here you can find my story of experimentation on this topic. I tried a lot of different things to say the least. There is plenty to read here and elsewhere on the topic. Getting a good music source/ streamer is > adding de-crapifiers IMO.

Upgraded cables - I am a believer, but I think they have the smallest effect relative to other things. I'd order them last in upgrades.

I know this always comes up (yawn, sigh), but tubes are ideal with these headphones. This is not an inexpensive upgrade, and your GSX-mini should certainly outpace the amp in the RME ADI II. So clearly the answer is; sell your car, kids, soul, etc and get a tube amp :)

Alternatively - do nothing. You have a nice setup - headphones on, feet up, music in - happiness!

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #3,321 of 12,522
The Verite's all come with our Japanese OFC wire as stock, and the flat wound cable as a thrown in extra/second cable when bought directly from ZMF.
Mine only came with the OFC cable. I didn't think I was supposed to get both but it only would have beneficial while I was waiting for parts to make a 6.35mm to XLR-4 adapter so I could use my tube amp.

I've also received no replies to my emails about those pads. My email likes to spam and delete things before I see it, it seems, so I thought I would mention it. You're a busy guy, so I wasn't trying to push anything. :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #3,322 of 12,522
Yep that's the one. All dealers are sent the OFC cables with the Verite's.
Thank you; that's good to know! Now, I just can't wait to get my grubby paws on the Vérité Closed. Soon, hopefully! :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #3,323 of 12,522
Well, just an update on the recent addition of the VC Ironwoods. I am really enjoying the sound now. What a great set of headphones. I had to move up from the flat stock cable, and play with output options on the RME, but the sound is really well defined now, with good soundstage, instrument separation, tonal balance, solid tight bass, with open highs. I'm really enjoying the music right now.

Here is the chain I am using.
Ipad Pro (Usb-c) (Streaming Qobuz) --> RME ADI-2 Dac/Amp --> Purist (PAD) Venustas Rev C XLR Cables --> GS-X Mini --> Norne S3 XLR headphone cable --> ZMF Verite Closed Ironwoods.

I'm always open for suggestions on how to improve the chain (at moderate expense). If you see any glaring weak links, please let me know.

A cheap add on that you might like is an Audioquest Jitterbug. Just plug it into the Apple CCK and then plug usb into the jitterbug.

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #3,324 of 12,522
Mine only came with the OFC cable. I didn't think I was supposed to get both but it only would have beneficial while I was waiting for parts to make a 6.35mm to XLR-4 adapter so I could use my tube amp.

I've also received no replies to my emails about those pads. My email likes to spam and delete things before I see it, it seems, so I thought I would mention it. You're a busy guy, so I wasn't trying to push anything. :)

Same here, but to be honest from what I gathered from the website is you get the extra cable if you buy one of the premium upgraded cables.

I didn't upgrade my cable so I just got the Japanese OFC cable with my order which is what I was expecting.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #3,325 of 12,522
Those Camphor Burl VC are bad a$$ beautiful!
Yeah wow! The VO and VC Camphor would make a great matching pair. Let's see who will be the first with the two.

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #3,326 of 12,522
I received my Leapardwood VC! The craftsmanship is one of a kind. I am listening to them as we speak =) I originally started my audio journey with closedback headphones and moved onto open, but I have to say it's nice to have a set of closedback headphones again. I'll definitely be passing these heirlooms down. I picked up some extra pads, so it will be fun to roll those. Thank you, @zach915m , Bevin, your team, and everyone here!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #3,327 of 12,522

Sorry about that! I do miss emails sometimes! I found yours and replied. If anyone ever doesn't get a reply from me within a few days I'm never offended if you, resend your email, it can help bring it my attention. Thanks!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 26, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3,328 of 12,522
I received my Leapardwood VC! The craftsmanship is one of a kind. I am listening to them as we speak =) I originally started my audio journey with closedback headphones and moved onto open, but I have to say it's nice to have a set of closedback headphones again. I'll definitely be passing these heirlooms down. I picked up some extra pads, so it will be fun to roll those. Thank you, @zach915m , Bevin, your team, and everyone here!
Photos, or it never happened! :wink:

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,329 of 12,522

Attachments

• DSC08286.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,330 of 12,522

Users who are viewing this thread

Back