ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #11,446 of 12,549
Well, from someone that have hard time to enjoy closed back headphone, I think VC give me "the best" experience so far. Full body sound, with enough sparkle to open up the transparency, and punchy lively bass. No problem at all with soundstage presentation, imgaing is accurate, the spaciousness is definitely easy to feel. BE2 and Universe Pad are my favourites with them.

For me VC is still below Elite in term of overall technicalities, but of course VC still a very capable headphone when compared to other headphone at the same price range, and don't forget the wood resonance on VC give unique character (in such beautiful way).
I would echo this. I have both and love both. The Elites have the edge but the Verite Closed are great when I need a bit more isolation. Both superb headphones.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #11,447 of 12,549
Thanks all - makes sense. The context is I’ve been looking for an upgrade to my Clear OG for main open back to complement my VC. Was expecting OG Utopia to fit the bill but demoing the Elite has complicated that somewhat haha - sort of fell in love with the Elite. Don’t think the Elite would be the best complement to the VC as they’re both coloured/relaxed - ideally one would be more neutral and analytical. Feel like Utopia + VC or Elite + Stellia would be the best pairings…

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #11,448 of 12,549
VC still a very capable headphone when compared to other headphone at the same price range, and don't forget the wood resonance on VC give unique character (in such beautiful way).
Yeah, I much love the wood resonance also :)

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #11,449 of 12,549
Hi all, I just picked up the Caldera from ZMF and this is my first one. I am really curious about the verite open or closed. I am in the Bay Area, California and was wondering if anyone is open to meeting up to let me try it? I'll bring my caldera :) Also happy to pay if that helps. Thank you!!

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #11,450 of 12,549
If you owned only one pair of headphones (as I do now), the VC... And you had one amp, a solid state high quality unit. And you were choosing between your 2nd headphones being the Caldera or the Rosson Rad-0 for your planar purchase.

Which do you choose, Caldera or Rad-O, and why? Go!

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #11,451 of 12,549
If you owned only one pair of headphones (as I do now), the VC... And you had one amp, a solid state high quality unit. And you were choosing between your 2nd headphones being the Caldera or the Rosson Rad-0 for your planar purchase.

The core question is intriguing, but also unfair for reasons you might not expect.

I've had both headphones on my head. Whatever the sonic allure of the Rosson, I couldn't tolerate it comfort-wise. That bizarre protruding under-the-headband-cushion = a giant hotspot. It also displaces some of the vertical adjustment range of the earcup sliders. For someone with a big/tall head like me, that's a double whammy.

By contrast, the Caldera is 100X more comfortable and all-round ergonimically suitable, as I find all the ZMF headphones to be. Heavy, yes; comfortable, also yes.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #11,452 of 12,549
Hi all, I just picked up the Caldera from ZMF and this is my first one. I am really curious about the verite open or closed. I am in the Bay Area, California and was wondering if anyone is open to meeting up to let me try it? I'll bring my caldera :) Also happy to pay if that helps. Thank you!!
See Zach's reply on the Verite Open thread.

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #11,453 of 12,549

There are times I listen headphone in the early morning, right after got up from my bed. While still a bit sleepy, then listening some acoustic musics, the last thing I want is to feel "pain of weight/comfort" when enjoying this moment. Rad-0 can't pass this test.

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #11,454 of 12,549

Caldera. Now mind you, I haven't heard one but I did previously own a Rad-O. Great headphone but as noted by others, it is HEAVY and you feel that weight on the top of your head unlike some other heavy headphones with different padding, chassis designs. More subjectively, the Rad-O is a great headphone as it is the planar equivalent of a ZMF from a tuning standpoint. Now that ZMF makes a planar, go to the source.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #11,455 of 12,549
Hello Everybody! Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but I wanted to let you know that tomorrow, Sunday ( Jan 22nd) Zach and I will be livestreaming with @TylersEclectic and talking about what's ahead for ZMF in 2023. I think there was some conjecture in one of the ZMF threads... something about electrostats and potential brain implantations...:thinking:

In all seriousness-- we are excited to talk with Tyler and love seeing familiar names and new ones alike pop into the chat!

The place to be is here:
YouTube Live Stream Link

So to recap:

Tomorrow: January 22, 2023
7:00 PM Central Standard Time

...and apologies in advance for anyone subbed to multiple ZMF threads for the cross posts, BUTTTTT, if you're subbed to multiple ZMF threads you might as well tune in!

:sunglasses::ghost::musical_score:

Watching this now and I am SO incredibly stoked for the amp collaboration with JDS. The Element 2 is a go-to amp for me and JDS really puts the same level of care and attention into its products that ZMF does, so this could possibly be a replacement for my El 2 and ZDT Jr (maybe!).

Seeing the closed Atrium is also exciting as well.

Is there a chance that ZMF will let folks come by the shop in Chicagoland? There are so many models I'd love to try but are a bit tough to find in my area of the Northeast. Can't wait til the next Capitol Audiofest.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #11,456 of 12,549
Watching this now and I am SO incredibly stoked for the amp collaboration with JDS. The Element 2 is a go-to amp for me and JDS really puts the same level of care and attention into its products that ZMF does, so this could possibly be a replacement for my El 2 and ZDT Jr (maybe!).

Seeing the closed Atrium is also exciting as well.

Is there a chance that ZMF will let folks come by the shop in Chicagoland? There are so many models I'd love to try but are a bit tough to find in my area of the Northeast. Can't wait til the next Capitol Audiofest.

Was too wrapped up in kid-o-rama to be able to watch this live and had to play catch up after the fact as well (thanks to @TylersEclectic for posting it!)

Three big takeaways for 2023
- Atrium Closed back - curious how these will compare with the VCs ... seemed like they might be an updated Eikon with all of Zach's post-Eikon experience rolled into them
- Solid State amp collaboration with JDS - yes please!
- ZMF DIY kit for Fostex T50RP mk3 - ZMF house sound on a budget?

Bonus takeaway - slowly creeping whiskey effects and the conversational goodness that goes with it :)

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #11,457 of 12,549
Has anyone here compared the Meze Elite with VC? I heard an Elite very briefly today and was pretty blown away by how natural they sounded (especially vocals). Appreciate it's closed vs open back but feel like the Elite and VC share similar sound profile in some ways, will need to demo the Elite again to flesh out my impressions but curious to hear others' thoughts. Are they seen as about on-par in terms of technicalities?

I had a chance to demo one at home from a loaner thread here. The Elites and VCs complement each other quite well, a nice, relaxed open-back planar with a more aggressive closed-back dynamic.

I found the Elite to be an incredible headphone to kick back with, and just let the music play for hours. They're not as lush sounding as the VCs but still very much engaging with a rich sound. Also found the bass slam addictive as well, and bloomier than the VC, along with more subbass. The construction and build quality is next level too, something every manufacturer should be taking notes on.

I could see the Elites replacing my Aryas, but the VCs would stay!

Jan 25, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #11,458 of 12,549
I had a chance to demo one at home from a loaner thread here. The Elites and VCs complement each other quite well, a nice, relaxed open-back planar with a more aggressive closed-back dynamic.

I found the Elite to be an incredible headphone to kick back with, and just let the music play for hours. They're not as lush sounding as the VCs but still very much engaging with a rich sound. Also found the bass slam addictive as well, and bloomier than the VC, along with more subbass. The construction and build quality is next level too, something every manufacturer should be taking notes on.

I could see the Elites replacing my Aryas, but the VCs would stay!
This is what I like to hear! Pretty much have my heart set on the Elites now and hoping I'll still be able to enjoy the VCs as would find it very hard to part with those.

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #11,459 of 12,549
This is what I like to hear! Pretty much have my heart set on the Elites now and hoping I'll still be able to enjoy the VCs as would find it very hard to part with those.
I heard the Elites 2-3X at last year's CanJam in NYC. Had owned the OG Empyrean (lovely design and sound), then sold it. Heard about the Elite, figured it was just another "make the TOTL brighter to suit the marketplace" things.

But I was very pleasantly surprised by the Elite; it did sound more incisive in the mids on up than the OG, but was nowhere near bright. And that great planar bass was tightened up a bit and very pleasing. The relaxing musicality of the OG was still very much present in the Elite, at least to my ears.

After that I got another bucket list open back planar, the Final D8000, which hit the bullseye. If not for that, I might be hunting for a good used Elite. These hps really don't sound all that similar; but I'm plenty happy with the Final and not thinking of up/side-grading.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #11,460 of 12,549
Was too wrapped up in kid-o-rama to be able to watch this live and had to play catch up after the fact as well (thanks to @TylersEclectic for posting it!)

Three big takeaways for 2023
- Atrium Closed back - curious how these will compare with the VCs ... seemed like they might be an updated Eikon with all of Zach's post-Eikon experience rolled into them
- Solid State amp collaboration with JDS - yes please!
- ZMF DIY kit for Fostex T50RP mk3 - ZMF house sound on a budget?

Bonus takeaway - slowly creeping whiskey effects and the conversational goodness that goes with it :)
Yaaaaay Atrium closed! Now I’ll have a new set of headphones to save up for… 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back