ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #11,461 of 12,549
I had a chance to demo one at home from a loaner thread here. The Elites and VCs complement each other quite well, a nice, relaxed open-back planar with a more aggressive closed-back dynamic.

I found the Elite to be an incredible headphone to kick back with, and just let the music play for hours. They're not as lush sounding as the VCs but still very much engaging with a rich sound. Also found the bass slam addictive as well, and bloomier than the VC, along with more subbass. The construction and build quality is next level too, something every manufacturer should be taking notes on.

I could see the Elites replacing my Aryas, but the VCs would stay!
Do you know of any way to get a demo pair of VCs? I have been wanting to try them out for awhile but I can't seem to find a way.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #11,462 of 12,549
Well, from someone that have hard time to enjoy closed back headphone, I think VC give me "the best" experience so far. Full body sound, with enough sparkle to open up the transparency, and punchy lively bass. No problem at all with soundstage presentation, imgaing is accurate, the spaciousness is definitely easy to feel. BE2 and Universe Pad are my favourites with them.

For me VC is still below Elite in term of overall technicalities, but of course VC still a very capable headphone when compared to other headphone at the same price range, and don't forget the wood resonance on VC give unique character (in such beautiful way).
To me the VC is a special headphone because it matters what amp you pair it with. To me it thrives on tubes more than my Atrium does. I used to have a Burson Soloist GT but after buying a WA22 and upgrading to some really nice tubes I let the GT go. The VC and tubes won me over so I bought the Atrium with the money from the GT. The GT was a great Amp but I enjoy and use the Atrium more too. The VC can scale with better amps and pad rolling matters more on the VC compared to Atrium also. The VC can really shine and be a special headphone when you get the right combo of pads and amp!

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #11,463 of 12,549
Have been slowly working my way up the ZMF family tree, so it was probably only a matter of time ... and then last week this happened :)

blackwood-vc.jpg

Blackwood LTD

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #11,465 of 12,549
Fellow Blackwood VC brethren... :)
I catch myself staring at mine on a daily basis lol.

What do you think of them so far?
Have been absolutely enamored with them!
The wood grain is deceptively hard to capture in most lighting situations, vaguely opaque pools of curiosity that I just stare at and then realize that I need to be listening instead of staring ...

I've only listened to them on solid state amps so far and am eager to try them on tubes (building a BHC as time permits between kid-o-rama).
The Beryllium drivers are fast and precise, but not at all fatiguing, and to me the transient decay of the African Blackwood matches that driver speed very well.

I'm still trying to figure out pads ... The Verite pads felt a bit too shallow for me so I'm using Eikon pads at the moment. The depth on the Eikon pads is better but I'm still in the exploration phase of trying to balance ear feel with pad sonics.
:beerchug:

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #11,466 of 12,549
...building a BHC as time permits...
You won't regret it.
I have the BH Crackatwoa and the synergy with the VC is end-game worthy. Sure, I may build myself a 300B HA one day, but only because I like big toobs. Bottlehead has some amazing designs.

African Blackwood matches that driver speed very well.
Agreed. 💯
There's still some woody reverb in there, but it's so tastefully done.

Now you've convinced me to swap my Atriums out and throw my VCs back on tonight.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #11,467 of 12,549
Have been slowly working my way up the ZMF family tree, so it was probably only a matter of time ... and then last week this happened :)

blackwood-vc.jpg
Blackwood LTD
Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations!

Glad to see you are edging towards tubes. As much as I enjoyed my Violectric V200, it really could not compete with the WA2 with good tubes in place.

The spaciousness and air of the Woo was far beyond what the V200 could conjure up, and the WA2 has every bit of the speed and slam of the V200 when equipped with the right glass. :o2smile:

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #11,468 of 12,549
Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations!

Glad to see you are edging towards tubes. As much as I enjoyed my Violectric V200, it really could not compete with the WA2 with good tubes in place.

The spaciousness and air of the Woo was far beyond what the V200 could conjure up, and the WA2 has every bit of the speed and slam of the V200 when equipped with the right glass. :o2smile:
Agree. Same here. V200 and WA2 OG (and WA6-SE OG). Although I would stay along more impartial lines and say big difference, which is better, as always, not really up for discussion, objectivelly being a metter of taste.

Tubes amps need dedication finding tubes matching the headphone and one's taste. Very rewarding in resuts if done the cleaver way. :k701smile:

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #11,470 of 12,549
The wood grain is deceptively hard to capture in most lighting situations, vaguely opaque pools of curiosity that I just stare at and then realize that I need to be listening instead of staring ...

I've only listened to them on solid state amps so far and am eager to try them on tubes (building a BHC as time permits between kid-o-rama).
The Beryllium drivers are fast and precise, but not at all fatiguing, and to me the transient decay of the African Blackwood matches that driver speed very well.

I'm still trying to figure out pads ... The Verite pads felt a bit too shallow for me so I'm using Eikon pads at the moment. The depth on the Eikon pads is better but I'm still in the exploration phase of trying to balance ear feel with pad sonics.
That's a gorgeous set! The BHC goes great with the VC. You should love that setup. If you get a chance try the Auteur Hybrid pads on your VC. Great comfort and sonics.

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #11,471 of 12,549
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #11,472 of 12,549

Congrats on the VC! You definitely got a beautiful headphone that you will enjoy looking at as much as listening to! Lol. It is a special headphone in my book. I only had a solid state amp when I first got my VC. I was pairing my VC with a Burson Soloist 3xp and then later the Soloist GT. I stayed on this thread too long and ended up catching tube fever! Once I heard the VC on my wa22 I was sold! I had never heard tubes before so it was huge risk for me but fortunately it paid off big time! Tubes just brought more emotion and soul to my music. The VC was so much better on the wa22 that I sold my Soloist GT and bought an Atrium. I loved my wa22 from first listen but after upgrading the stock tubes to emission labs 5u4g, western electric 421a, and mullard ecc35 6sl7 it just got ridiculously good with my VC and Atrium! I know it's cliché to say but ZMF headphones really do thrive with tubes! That's not to say they don't sound awesome on ss. Also about pads I would suggest the Autuer Hybrid and Autuer Lambskin.

Attachments

• 20230201_130719.jpg
    20230201_130719.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #11,473 of 12,549
Congrats on the VC! You definitely got a beautiful headphone that you will enjoy looking at as much as listening to! Lol. It is a special headphone in my book. I only had a solid state amp when I first got my VC. I was pairing my VC with a Burson Soloist 3xp and then later the Soloist GT. I stayed on this thread too long and ended up catching tube fever! Once I heard the VC on my wa22 I was sold! I had never heard tubes before so it was huge risk for me but fortunately it paid off big time! Tubes just brought more emotion and soul to my music. The VC was so much better on the wa22 that I sold my Soloist GT and bought an Atrium. I loved my wa22 from first listen but after upgrading the stock tubes to emission labs 5u4g, western electric 421a, and mullard ecc35 6sl7 it just got ridiculously good with my VC and Atrium! I know it's cliché to say but ZMF headphones really do thrive with tubes! That's not to say they don't sound awesome on ss. Also about pads I would suggest the Autuer Hybrid and Autuer Lambskin.
Nice Grumpy Goose stand, too! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back