ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 11, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #11,431 of 12,586
I need the wisdom of the crowd....

I own ZMF VC headphones. I am down to a final choice between an ampsandsound rockwell OR a cayin HA-6A for a tube amp. I already own a Burson 3X GT for my solid state experience.

I want a high quality tube amp that is a nice contrast to what I have, but is not a component that is NOT noisy. It seems like if I read enough forums I can find plenty of people who say both these (and perhaps most other) tube amps have noise when dynamic-high sensitivity cans are involved. I realize some noise might be inevitable, so I am not targeting zero. But it needs to be low.

So....if anyone has experience with one or both amps (or vendors), I would be grateful for you insights. Thanks!
I don’t own VC but the VO and I purchased the Cayin ha6a last year. Have been very pleased with the synergy it has with my ZMFs. An excellent amp at reasonable price point. No remarkable hiss/hum, great flexibility and setting options ( TR/UL, L-H impedance, types of tubes that can be used etc). It allows me to dial in to the sound that I like with lots of fun and ease. It may not be the end game tube amp but a very good starting point nonetheless.

Am sure whichever choice you made, you will be happy with the sound variety offered by tube amps. Would suggest you also factor in the inevitable tube rolling expenses into the cost equation as FOMO can be strong esp. with NOS tubes after a while.

Happy hunting and best of luck !

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #11,432 of 12,586
I am listening to my VC tonight.

PXL_20230112_011654784.NIGHT-2.jpg

Try to get your hands on the DIY Aegis, designed by @L0rdGwyn
I own his Airmid and reviewed the Aegis (link to review in my signature)
It's a fantastic sounding amp with great dynamics, giant stage and other worldly transparency. It rocks all ZMF headphones, including the Caldera.

It's dead quiet, like the Airmid, even within three feet of a router and modem. No small feat.

I'm looking forward to getting the demo Aegis back or finishing the one I'm working on, it's been a while, I miss it :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #11,433 of 12,586
Nice DIY amp just hope I have the skills and patience to start the project.

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #11,434 of 12,586
i was looking for a VC last year but couldnt find any 2nd hand listing in my city. I found a VO listing instead so i got that anyway. sounds warm and musical but i still wishes to have a VC every now and then . . . . it just looks so good . . . .

and just in the beginning of 2023, a quite reasonably priced VC was listed. i took the chance and got this home today (instead of the ES-R10 I've been looking for quite a while yet have no chance to demo :cold_sweat: ).

strangely, the VC sounds a bit more spacious to my ears than VO. both have quite flat low end and I wish for a bit more elevated bass. good looking but the craftsmanship seems not as good as the CNC made metal components of 1266 or d8k (common for handmade small volume production products). . . the monkeypod looks really great though.

already got too many headfi gears lately and i really got to stop shopping for sometimes :)

Attachments

• 20230113_211543.jpg
    20230113_211543.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230113_211610.jpg
    20230113_211610.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230113_211726.jpg
    20230113_211726.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230113_212139.jpg
    20230113_212139.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #11,435 of 12,586
i was looking for a VC last year but couldnt find any 2nd hand listing in my city. I found a VO listing instead so i got that anyway. sounds warm and musical but i still wishes to have a VC every now and then . . . . it just looks so good . . . .

and just in the beginning of 2023, a quite reasonably priced VC was listed. i took the chance and got this home today (instead of the ES-R10 I've been looking for quite a while yet have no chance to demo :cold_sweat: ).

strangely, the VC sounds a bit more spacious to my ears than VO. both have quite flat low end and I wish for a bit more elevated bass. good looking but the craftsmanship seems not as good as the CNC made metal components of 1266 or d8k (common for handmade small volume production products). . . the monkeypod looks really great though.

already got too many headfi gears lately and i really got to stop shopping for sometimes :)

Hi, are you using glasses while listening?

My very first time tried VC also felt the headphone was spacious and a bit thin in bass area. After some minutes I realized the problem was the seal. I tried to use thinner glasses, and once the headphone on my head, I pressed the cup a little to my head. This way VC produce fuller body tone and punchier bass.

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #11,437 of 12,586
Hi, are you using glasses while listening?

My very first time tried VC also felt the headphone was spacious and a bit thin in bass area. After some minutes I realized the problem was the seal. I tried to use thinner glasses, and once the headphone on my head, I pressed the cup a little to my head. This way VC produce fuller body tone and punchier bass.
thanks for the tips. but i didn't wear glasses. i'm not sure if it's due to usage or just production difference, my VO clamps tighter than VC on my head. but even if i push the cup gently, the bass didn't getting very strong from the VC. not sure if it's due to the difference in pads. i'm using perforated hybrid pads with VO but solid leather pads with VC.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #11,438 of 12,586
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #11,441 of 12,586
Jan 21, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #11,442 of 12,586
Hello Everybody! Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but I wanted to let you know that tomorrow, Sunday ( Jan 22nd) Zach and I will be livestreaming with @TylersEclectic and talking about what's ahead for ZMF in 2023. I think there was some conjecture in one of the ZMF threads... something about electrostats and potential brain implantations...:thinking:

In all seriousness-- we are excited to talk with Tyler and love seeing familiar names and new ones alike pop into the chat!

The place to be is here:
YouTube Live Stream Link

So to recap:

Tomorrow: January 22, 2023
7:00 PM Central Standard Time

...and apologies in advance for anyone subbed to multiple ZMF threads for the cross posts, BUTTTTT, if you're subbed to multiple ZMF threads you might as well tune in!

:sunglasses::ghost::musical_score:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #11,444 of 12,586
Has anyone here compared the Meze Elite with VC? I heard an Elite very briefly today and was pretty blown away by how natural they sounded (especially vocals). Appreciate it's closed vs open back but feel like the Elite and VC share similar sound profile in some ways, will need to demo the Elite again to flesh out my impressions but curious to hear others' thoughts. Are they seen as about on-par in terms of technicalities?

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #11,445 of 12,586
Has anyone here compared the Meze Elite with VC? I heard an Elite very briefly today and was pretty blown away by how natural they sounded (especially vocals). Appreciate it's closed vs open back but feel like the Elite and VC share similar sound profile in some ways, will need to demo the Elite again to flesh out my impressions but curious to hear others' thoughts. Are they seen as about on-par in terms of technicalities?

Well, from someone that have hard time to enjoy closed back headphone, I think VC give me "the best" experience so far. Full body sound, with enough sparkle to open up the transparency, and punchy lively bass. No problem at all with soundstage presentation, imgaing is accurate, the spaciousness is definitely easy to feel. BE2 and Universe Pad are my favourites with them.

For me VC is still below Elite in term of overall technicalities, but of course VC still a very capable headphone when compared to other headphone at the same price range, and don't forget the wood resonance on VC give unique character (in such beautiful way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back