ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 9, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #11,416 of 12,586
nwY5vgq.jpg
Shafat, we are brothers! I have those exact same ZMF cans as you.
7A3E24BE-0803-4849-89B0-4BF74BDF88D0.jpegE4DCF6C3-02F7-4DA7-B90A-1DE1D29A531B.jpeg

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #11,417 of 12,586
Joining the fun here in this thread. Happy new owner of a pair of VC Ltd KOA... 🎧🎵😍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110_124034_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110_124034_Gallery.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #11,418 of 12,586
A comparison would be great - nice one! More refined/mature version of the lambskin sounds intriguing. I am very gradually warming to the Auteur Lambskins after having mostly used the Universe Lambskins but would welcome some additional refinement as things do sound ever so slightly muffled/hazy vs the Universe Lambskins.
I will definitely do a comparison on probably Wednesday or Thursday when I'm off. I originally didn't like the hybrid pads. Months went bye and they never got any use. I had tried them once or twice but quickly took them off. One day i decided to try them again and it was like a whole new sound. Just remember to be patient and eventually you will find the best pad for you. Even after you think you have it settled do some more rolling. A pad you try today may be terrible and then months down the road your taste change like it did with me.

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #11,419 of 12,586
I will definitely do a comparison on probably Wednesday or Thursday when I'm off. I originally didn't like the hybrid pads. Months went bye and they never got any use. I had tried them once or twice but quickly took them off. One day i decided to try them again and it was like a whole new sound. Just remember to be patient and eventually you will find the best pad for you. Even after you think you have it settled do some more rolling. A pad you try today may be terrible and then months down the road your taste change like it did with me.
Very well put. It's crazy how different the sound characteristics are between pads tbh - surprised at how much more detailed the Universe lambskin seem vs the Auteur lambskins on my current set up but there's still something very seductive and soothing about the latter pads that is drawing me back, for now...

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #11,420 of 12,586
Very well put. It's crazy how different the sound characteristics are between pads tbh - surprised at how much more detailed the Universe lambskin seem vs the Auteur lambskins on my current set up but there's still something very seductive and soothing about the latter pads that is drawing me back, for now...
I found the Universe pad to be thin sounding with the VC. I prefer the Autuer Hybrid first then the Autuer Lambskin. They both have a bigger sound with more of that 3d holographic effect the VC produces. The Hybrid is a bit more of an intimate listen compared to the lambskin. The Hybrid is like a mature version of the lambskin. It has better detail, tighter bass, more control in the sound, and just a more focused listen but still fun and engaging like the lambskin.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #11,421 of 12,586
I think I’ll make it to seven days (~180-200 hours total play time by this weekend) before I do some in-depth listening with my tube amp. Excited to see how significant the changes are!
Well, finally getting around to putting an hour of fun listening time in with my VCs.

They probably have about 200-225 hours on them now after being hooked up to my WM1A for a few days on end.

It’s a fascinating result; I find the VCs now to be more delicate and organic, with a taste of the ZMF bio-cellulose driver’s more gentle sound. With that capability, though, the detail levels are not diminished. So of course the exceptional soundstage for a closed-back that lifts it above the Eikon in technicalities is still in full force.

My initial impressions with the “fresh” VC drivers was that it was a better choice for me with my OTL amp vs. the Focal Stellia. This was mostly driven by headphone/amp synergy, now the VC’s stand tall with their own qualities much more apparent.

The VCs are now more like “an Eikon on detail/clarity steroids” (which, frankly, is a massive compliment)- but you’ll still have to pry my Bocote Eikons from my cold, dead hands… 😂 They simply have their own magic as well.

(Comparing them back-to-back now, the Eikons with a phenomenal hybrid cable and suede pads have snappier leading transients, and a deep bass that is only bested by high-quality planars…)

/late-evening revelations end/

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #11,422 of 12,586
Well, finally getting around to putting an hour of fun listening time in with my VCs.

They probably have about 200-225 hours on them now after being hooked up to my WM1A for a few days on end.

It’s a fascinating result; I find the VCs now to be more delicate and organic, with a taste of the ZMF bio-cellulose driver’s more gentle sound. With that capability, though, the detail levels are not diminished. So of course the exceptional soundstage for a closed-back that lifts it above the Eikon in technicalities is still in full force.

My initial impressions with the “fresh” VC drivers was that it was a better choice for me with my OTL amp vs. the Focal Stellia. This was mostly driven by headphone/amp synergy, now the VC’s stand tall with their own qualities much more apparent.

The VCs are now more like “an Eikon on detail/clarity steroids” (which, frankly, is a massive compliment)- but you’ll still have to pry my Bocote Eikons from my cold, dead hands… 😂 They simply have their own magic as well.

(Comparing them back-to-back now, the Eikons with a phenomenal hybrid cable and suede pads have snappier leading transients, and a deep bass that is only bested by high-quality planars…)

/late-evening revelations end/
Curious were you using the same cable on both headphones for the comparison? Also, which pads do you have on the VC's?

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #11,423 of 12,586
I found the Universe pad to be thin sounding with the VC. I prefer the Autuer Hybrid first then the Autuer Lambskin. They both have a bigger sound with more of that 3d holographic effect the VC produces. The Hybrid is a bit more of an intimate listen compared to the lambskin. The Hybrid is like a mature version of the lambskin. It has better detail, tighter bass, more control in the sound, and just a more focused listen but still fun and engaging like the lambskin.
Funny I find the Universe lambskins the opposite of thin haha.

Sounds like I'll need to grab some of these Hyrid pads then...hoping Acorn Audio in UK gets some in soon. Thanks for the comparison!

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #11,424 of 12,586
Agreed. The Auteur Hybrid is my favorite to date on the VC.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #11,425 of 12,586
Curious were you using the same cable on both headphones for the comparison? Also, which pads do you have on the VC's?
I am not using the same cable on both- I’m fortunate enough to have different Norne Audio models to use, and have experimented a bit.

To my ears/taste, a Norne Drausk (heavy-gauge UPOCC copper braid) works really well with the VCs (using Auteur lamb pads), as the Drausk adds some slight warmth but more importantly has a very organic/“live” (ie “non-analytical”) sound. The Auteur lambs have such nice soundstaging and “snap”, but I also have Auteur suede pads I may try.

(The Eikons have a Norne Einvaldi Reference fusion cable- 50/50 UPOCC silver/copper with Eikon suede pads- also a great combo for me!)

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #11,426 of 12,586
I need the wisdom of the crowd....

I own ZMF VC headphones. I am down to a final choice between an ampsandsound rockwell OR a cayin HA-6A for a tube amp. I already own a Burson 3X GT for my solid state experience.

I want a high quality tube amp that is a nice contrast to what I have, but is not a component that is NOT noisy. It seems like if I read enough forums I can find plenty of people who say both these (and perhaps most other) tube amps have noise when dynamic-high sensitivity cans are involved. I realize some noise might be inevitable, so I am not targeting zero. But it needs to be low.

So....if anyone has experience with one or both amps (or vendors), I would be grateful for you insights. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #11,427 of 12,586

I own ZMF VC headphones. I am down to a final choice between an ampsandsound rockwell OR a cayin HA-6A for a tube amp. I already own a Burson 3X GT for my solid state experience.

I want a high quality tube amp that is a nice contrast to what I have, but is not a component that is NOT noisy. It seems like if I read enough forums I can find plenty of people who say both these (and perhaps most other) tube amps have noise when dynamic-high sensitivity cans are involved. I realize some noise might be inevitable, so I am not targeting zero. But it needs to be low.

So....if anyone has experience with one or both amps (or vendors), I would be grateful for you insights. Thanks!
This doesn't look like a fair fight to me, in that the rockwell is twice as expensive, but I do not have the requisite experience to answer. Will be watching for replies with my popcorn. :popcorn:

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #11,428 of 12,586

If you can find one, Inspire IHA1 is the best tube amp I have owned. It has a natural and clean sound, but takes on the characteristics of the tubes you feed it. It's one of the best tube amps around.

P.S. The Verite Closed headband is very bendable, right? I saw a video earlier, but I want to make sure. Mine clamps pretty hard, but my first pair didn't have that.

Jan 11, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #11,429 of 12,586

Try to get your hands on the DIY Aegis, designed by @L0rdGwyn
I own his Airmid and reviewed the Aegis (link to review in my signature)
It's a fantastic sounding amp with great dynamics, giant stage and other worldly transparency. It rocks all ZMF headphones, including the Caldera.

It's dead quiet, like the Airmid, even within three feet of a router and modem. No small feat.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #11,430 of 12,586

If you choose the HA-6A it is an OUTSTANDING amp with lots of versatility. However, you'll definitely need to have good power cables and clean power going to the amp for low noise. I use the Audio Envy Mega and it's excellent. I recently put adapted Telefunken EL156 tubes in the KT88 sockets and they really show what this amp can do. It's impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back