ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,191 of 2,544
but it can at least show the characteristic sound of the hp I know its not 100% accurate but would you be able to tell me how close it is? I know all hes sound demo seems to be very muffled.

The Ori is definitely on the darker side with thicker sound than most, like Audeze in general but without any upper mid or lower treble recession. The treble actually has a nice airy presence but is smooth and not fatiguing, and all instruments have good realism.

The bass slam of the Ori is more forward than Audeze and most other high end headphones, and it really hits hard.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #2,192 of 2,544
The Ori is definitely on the darker side with thicker sound than most, like Audeze in general but without any upper mid or lower treble recession. The treble actually has a nice airy presence but is smooth and not fatiguing, and all instruments have good realism.

The bass slam of the Ori is more forward than Audeze and most other high end headphones, and it really hits hard.

would you be able to tell me if its slams as hard the sony z1r? Cause I really didnt like the z1r unfortunately. I Have shure se846 and they sound more balanced and better bass than z1r weird hein? tough se846 have very strong bass to.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #2,193 of 2,544
would you be able to tell me if its slams as hard the sony z1r? Cause I really didnt like the z1r unfortunately. I Have shure se846 and they sound more balanced and better bass than z1r weird hein? tough se846 have very strong bass to.

Unfortunately I cannot, never really messed around with Sony or Shure headphones.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #2,194 of 2,544
Unfortunately I cannot, never really messed around with Sony or Shure headphones.

so which headphone would you think has the similar bass slam of the ori?

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,195 of 2,544
so which headphone would you think has the similar bass slam of the ori?

The closest is the ZMF Blackwood, not much difference there. The next closest I have heard are the Audeze LCD models, after that the LFF Code-6 with thinner pads like FocusPad-A, nothing else I have heard is close enough to be mentioned beyond perhaps the Stax SR-009 (my amp for it is in the mail but I expect more bass slam than the Code-6).

But of all of these, the slam of the Ori and Blackwood is noticeably more forward than the rest.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,196 of 2,544
The closest is the ZMF Blackwood, not much difference there. The next closest I have heard are the Audeze LCD models, after that the LFF Code-6 with thinner pads like FocusPad-A, nothing else I have heard is close enough to be mentioned beyond perhaps the Stax SR-009 (my amp for it is in the mail but I expect more bass slam than the Code-6).

But of all of these, the slam of the Ori and Blackwood is noticeably more forward than the rest.

So when you listen to music is the bass to emphasized ? does it get fatiguing over time because its strong? or it feels more natural. I am asking cause if I listen to 5 hours or more wonder how it will affect me. I usually like bass but not when its over exaggerated.
For example with shure se846 I have custom sleeves and they add bass cause its super snug tight fit, so paired with hdv820 it add to much bass, so I had to switch to yellow foam ear plugs. That way they could breath and less bass go out and then it was fine for me.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #2,197 of 2,544
So when you listen to music is the bass to emphasized ? does it get fatiguing over time because its strong? or it feels more natural. I am asking cause if I listen to 5 hours or more wonder how it will affect me. I usually like bass but not when its over exaggerated.
For example with shure se846 I have custom sleeves and they add bass cause its super snug tight fit, so paired with hdv820 it add to much bass, so I had to switch to yellow foam ear plugs. That way they could breath and less bass go out and then it was fine for me.

I listened to my Ori quite a bit the other night, after weeks & weeks of listening to pre-fazor LCD-2.1 & pf LCD-3, as well as HD650s. Will try to answer:
  1. I wouldn't say bass is emphasized relative to the rest of the frequencies. I hear more bass emphasis on certain other headphones where the bass actually sticks out somewhat (stock Marantz MPH-2s; and to a slight degree, the stock HD650)
  2. However, when there is any bass of any kind in a recording, the Ori lets you know it. The bass is rather explosive--it's that planar quality of calm/quiet, then instantly explosive. Once you hear this kind of bass, you compare other headphones to it (not the other way around)
  3. But as with any part of the frequency range, simple quantity of bass (ie, too much level vs perfect level vs too little level) is only part of the story. The more important part IMO is detail, resolution, and timbral accuracy (how closely the quality of the bass tracks the instruments & the music). And here the Ori is one of the best headphones I ever heard--even a little better than the LCDs (which are quite good, also). It's very easy to tell the difference between electric bass guitar vs string bass vs cello vs low notes of marimba...and so on.
Sometimes a given pair of headphones has excellent bass, but not so good midrange and/or treble--and in these cases the bass can sound somewhat elevated simply because the other fc ranges are deficient. Definitely not the case with the Ori. Midrange & treble are very fine here, so the bass "fits right in."

My only "criticism" of the Ori bass (and it's not a criticism at all, just an observation) is the the level of sub-bass is not quite equal to the rest of the very good bass fc range. The more expensive Eikon, for example, has sub-bass that sounds perfectly flat w/the rest of the (excellent) bass range--but it's very unusual to encounter that.

The sub-bass thing is so minor that it just doesn't matter to me. Music only occasionally has real sub-bass content anyway. The amt of sub-bass in the Ori is fine for me, considering how really superior the bass is, overall.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,198 of 2,544
I listened to my Ori quite a bit the other night, after weeks & weeks of listening to pre-fazor LCD-2.1 & pf LCD-3, as well as HD650s. Will try to answer:
  1. I wouldn't say bass is emphasized relative to the rest of the frequencies. I hear more bass emphasis on certain other headphones where the bass actually sticks out somewhat (stock Marantz MPH-2s; and to a slight degree, the stock HD650)
  2. However, when there is any bass of any kind in a recording, the Ori lets you know it. The bass is rather explosive--it's that planar quality of calm/quiet, then instantly explosive. Once you hear this kind of bass, you compare other headphones to it (not the other way around)
  3. But as with any part of the frequency range, simple quantity of bass (ie, too much level vs perfect level vs too little level) is only part of the story. The more important part IMO is detail, resolution, and timbral accuracy (how closely the quality of the bass tracks the instruments & the music). And here the Ori is one of the best headphones I ever heard--even a little better than the LCDs (which are quite good, also). It's very easy to tell the difference between electric bass guitar vs string bass vs cello vs low notes of marimba...and so on.
Sometimes a given pair of headphones has excellent bass, but not so good midrange and/or treble--and in these cases the bass can sound somewhat elevated simply because the other fc ranges are deficient. Definitely not the case with the Ori. Midrange & treble are very fine here, so the bass "fits right in."

My only "criticism" of the Ori bass (and it's not a criticism at all, just an observation) is the the level of sub-bass is not quite equal to the rest of the very good bass fc range. The more expensive Eikon, for example, has sub-bass that sounds perfectly flat w/the rest of the (excellent) bass range--but it's very unusual to encounter that.

The sub-bass thing is so minor that it just doesn't matter to me. Music only occasionally has real sub-bass content anyway. The amt of sub-bass in the Ori is fine for me, considering how really superior the bass is, overall.

Its interesting the more I learn about ori the more I start liking it. I feel that its probably a better option than the lcd 2 classic closed. Considering all our discussion so far.

What you guys think of the custom cables is it worth it? I feel like the ofc included cable might be a little of a hold back on sq.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,199 of 2,544
FYI, the LCD-2C (the one called "classic") is open, not closed. It's said to sound very similar to my non-fazor LCD-2.1 (vintage HP), and that's a sound I love. But very different from the Ori. Wood is not as beautiful; and comfort not as good as Ori + Pilot Pad.

Both pretty heavy headphones, but weight never seems to bother me w/headphones.

Both worth having. Still, the most contrast w/your HD800 would be the Ori...

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #2,200 of 2,544
Its interesting the more I learn about ori the more I start liking it. I feel that its probably a better option than the lcd 2 classic closed. Considering all our discussion so far.

What you guys think of the custom cables is it worth it? I feel like the ofc included cable might be a little of a hold back on sq.

Forgot to comment on cables. I own 2 OFC cables as well as a more expensive aftermarket cable for Audeze/ZMF headphones (ForzaAudioWorks HCP Noir). My conclusions:
  • Both OFC & FAW cables sound better than stock ZMF cables...enough to matter
  • FAW HCP Noir sounds & looks really excellent. You'll "hear the $$" IMO.
  • But the OFC cables from ZMF are lighter, easier to handle, 1/2 the price of FAW, and sound very good, also.
If differences between cables really matters to you, then go crazy and spend 100s on an aftermarket cable. But if you just want to get really good sound for not big $$, go for OFC.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,201 of 2,544
I don't get the sound demos either, imho there's not a remote chance that such a demo will come close to actually representing what a good pair of HPs can do, especially when hooked up quality system. Gives one an idea yes, a hint rather, but that's where it ends for me.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,202 of 2,544
Forgot to comment on cables. I own 2 OFC cables as well as a mor e expensive aftermarket cable for Audeze/ZMF headphones (ForzaAudioWorks HCP Noir). My conclusions:
  • Both OFC & FAW cables sound better than stock ZMF cables...enough to matter
  • FAW HCP Noir sounds & looks really excellent. You'll "hear the $$" IMO.
  • But the OFC cables from ZMF are lighter, easier to handle, 1/2 the price of FAW, and sound very good, also.
If differences between cables really matters to you, then go crazy and spend 100s on an aftermarket cable. But if you just want to get really good sound for not big $$, go for OFC.

oooo wow that ForzaAudioWorks HCP Noir is so so sexy really nice work there. Dont seems to be more affordable then my wireworld eclipse nano full copper even the connector is all copper, got 3m for 780 canadian $ with taxes.
I at first didnt hear much of a difference but after 1 month of listening to the custom cable decided to try the stock, boy I was shocked at the difference. Bass was more detailed and overall clarity seemed to be better. Though some reason I feel it to be more treble open to which I like less he. Also the stock cable make the headphone sound more relaxed and slow. The wireworld make it fast engaging and delightful.
So now I do believe in cables lol I know most headfi forums saying its snake oil but well I felt the difference and I am happy about it.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #2,203 of 2,544
FYI, the LCD-2C (the one called "classic") is open, not closed. It's said to sound very similar to my non-fazor LCD-2.1 (vintage HP), and that's a sound I love. But very different from the Ori. Wood is not as beautiful; and comfort not as good as Ori + Pilot Pad.

Both pretty heavy headphones, but weight never seems to bother me w/headphones.

Both worth having. Still, the most contrast w/your HD800 would be the Ori...

If you look at audeze website they just released a new lcd 2 classic closed!

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-closed-back

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,204 of 2,544
I don't get the sound demos either, imho there's not a remote chance that such a demo will come close to actually representing what a good pair of HPs can do, especially when hooked up quality system. Gives one an idea yes, a hint rather, but that's where it ends for me.

Well I felt thatI like what I heard lol :) maybe I am a little hiped over the ori right now, more then over the lcd 2.

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,205 of 2,544

That sounds great. I am looking for a hard hitting bassy audiophile headphone to replace my HD 650 and compliment my HD800S.

Would the Ori be the best choice vs the other Ori headphones?

How does the Ori compare to the TH900 mk2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back