ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jul 19, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #2,221 of 2,544
for absolute best comfort w/an Ori, get the Pilot Pad. It's very comfortable. When I hear the Ori, the word "comfort" never even enters my mind. It's all about the sound.

re earpads, I use the Ori pads, also very comfortable. I also tried ZMF cowhides (same shape/size as Ori pads, but somewhat stiffer foam + cowhide vs lambskin). IMO the sound & seal are both better w/Ori pads.

+1 The pilot pad is super comfy to me...I have never tried anything else. i just enjoy the music, like you.
My pair of Ori came with an extra set of pads, I got cowhide.....they have never even been on my headphone yet, just because I dig the sound from the Ori pads.

Listening to mine now...Snowy White Blues Project - In Our Time Of Living

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #2,222 of 2,544
for absolute best comfort w/an Ori, get the Pilot Pad. It's very comfortable. When I hear the Ori, the word "comfort" never even enters my mind. It's all about the sound.

re earpads, I use the Ori pads, also very comfortable. I also tried ZMF cowhides (same shape/size as Ori pads, but somewhat stiffer foam + cowhide vs lambskin). IMO the sound & seal are both better w/Ori pads.

On there website it states lamb skin pad are sold with ori. I just checked they also offer suede which I might like a lot due to my hd800s pad, its very similar I like that better so you wont swet in theme.

The Pilot Pad your talking about is the thick leather pad on the headband right?

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,223 of 2,544
The suspension headband design of the Ori makes weight no longer an issue. The pilot pad is also no longer helpful with the suspension headband design (it might make it worse by making the two bands make contact with each other, reducing the effectiveness of the suspension and transferring more weight to the top of your head).

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,224 of 2,544
On there website it states lamb skin pad are sold with ori. I just checked they also offer suede which I might like a lot due to my hd800s pad, its very similar I like that better so you wont swet in theme.

The Pilot Pad your talking about is the thick leather pad on the headband right?

Yes, the Pilot Pad wraps around the stock headband. When I bought my Ori, ZMF offered either a Pilot Pad or a "buffalo strap," which is a strap made of buffalo hide that goes under the hard-plastic headband. I opted for the Pilot Pad and never looked back.

Re suede pads for Ori, of course you can do anything you like. But I know ZMF (Zach) voiced this headphone for the Ori lambskin pads, and at least to my ears, they're perfect. I've done a lot of pad rolling, but 9 out of 10 times, it was a failure (pad usually change the headphone's sound in big, but not good ways).

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #2,225 of 2,544
The suspension headband design of the Ori makes weight no longer an issue. The pilot pad is also no longer helpful with the suspension headband design (it might make it worse by making the two bands make contact with each other, reducing the effectiveness of the suspension and transferring more weight to the top of your head).

When you order an Ori, you can opt to have no suspension strap (the under-strap) -- and put the Pilot Pad on the stiff/plastic main headband, which is what I did.

You're right that you woudn't use the Pilot Pad + suspension strap...

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #2,226 of 2,544
When you order an Ori, you can opt to have no suspension strap (the under-strap) -- and put the Pilot Pad on the stiff/plastic main headband, which is what I did.

You're right that you woudn't use the Pilot Pad + suspension strap...

Didn't know the original pad was still an option. I would suggest the buffalo strap (suspension) since I think it's physically impossible for it to be less comfortable than the original plus pilot pad.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,227 of 2,544
AAAA lol now I dont know the pilot pad looks crazzy comfy its true though dont know wats better pilot or the second band under? Tough might stick with the lamb skin pad in that case and they come included any ways.

I am now under a decisive conclusion go or not. Gona wait couple days see what zmf reply's me via email tried contacting them.

Also since the ori only use 50 Ohm I can pair with anything I like I could probably go 100% portable tooo. I got in mind fiio Q5, MoJo and also the crazzy pricy hugo 2.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,228 of 2,544
AAAA lol now I dont know the pilot pad looks crazzy comfy its true though dont know wats better pilot or the second band under? Tough might stick with the lamb skin pad in that case and they come included any ways.

I am now under a decisive conclusion go or not. Gona wait couple days see what zmf reply's me via email tried contacting them.

Also since the ori only use 50 Ohm I can pair with anything I like I could probably go 100% portable tooo. I got in mind fiio Q5, MoJo and also the crazzy pricy hugo 2.
The Ori does like a lot of power. It doesn't need it but it scales nicely. As far as comfort, I was happy with it either way so I wouldn't agonize over it too much.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #2,229 of 2,544
I have only paired the Ori with the following:

- PC with ASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC motherboard = sounded like crap especially because the onboard sound has awful channel imbalance lol

- Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus = sounds like crap and can't get loud enough

- Chord Mojo = Good, but soft with a little bit of upper mid/lower treble harshness than higher end more powerful gear

- Garage1217 Project Ember II with some NOS highly rated tube for which I can't remember the name right now = Louder noise floor then Mojo even on appropriate settings, more slam and bass fullness, slightly improved instrument separation

- Schiit Lyr 2 with NOS Siemens A-Frame 6922 = Noise floor is silent again like with Mojo and everything listed below, more bass slam and refinement than Ember II, improved upper mids/lower treble, further improved separation/layering

- Schiit Lyr 3 with NOS Raytheon VT-231 or Sylvanis Bad Boy 6SN7WGT = Nearly the same as the Lyr 2, ever so slightly improved upper mids/lower treble and imaging

- Chord Hugo 2 = Like the Lyr 3 but ever so slightly refined upper mids and lower treble

- Mjolnir Audio Pure Bipolar = Wow. New bass dimensions, more slam, significantly improved separation and layering, noticeably refined uppe4 mids and treble

So it's easy to get good sound out of it but it certainly continues to scale.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #2,230 of 2,544
I have only paired the Ori with the following:

- PC with ASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC motherboard = sounded like crap especially because the onboard sound has awful channel imbalance lol

- Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus = sounds like crap and can't get loud enough

- Chord Mojo = Good, but soft with a little bit of upper mid/lower treble harshness than higher end more powerful gear

- Garage1217 Project Ember II with some NOS highly rated tube for which I can't remember the name right now = Louder noise floor then Mojo even on appropriate settings, more slam and bass fullness, slightly improved instrument separation

- Schiit Lyr 2 with NOS Siemens A-Frame 6922 = Noise floor is silent again like with Mojo and everything listed before, more bass slam and refinement than Ember II, improved upper mids/lower treble, further improved separation/layering

- Schiit Lyr 3 with NOS Raytheon VT-231 or Sylvanis Bad Boy 6SN7WGT = Nearly the same as the Lyr 2, ever so slightly improved upper mids/lower treble and imaging

- Chord Hugo 2 = Like the Lyr 3 but ever so slightly refined upper mids and lower treble

- Mjolnir Audio Pure Bipolar = Wow. New bass dimensions, more slam, significantly improved separation and layering, noticeably refined uppe4 mids and treble

So it's easy to get good sound out of it but it certainly continues to scale.

The Wells Audio Milo puts all kind of power to the Ori and makes it sound super good.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #2,231 of 2,544
How do you all like the Ori vs the Auteur?

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #2,232 of 2,544
I was revisiting my Omni/Ori over the weekend after a little absence and the one thing that really stands out for me with this headphone is how musical and engaging it sounds with all kinds of source materials. With the Omni you can listen to decidedly non-audiophile recordings and really enjoy the music without having to be constantly reminded that the recording is less than stellar. It's a wonderful headphone for music lovers.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #2,233 of 2,544
I was revisiting my Omni/Ori over the weekend after a little absence and the one thing that really stands out for me with this headphone is how musical and engaging it sounds with all kinds of source materials. With the Omni you can listen to decidedly non-audiophile recordings and really enjoy the music without having to be constantly reminded that the recording is less than stellar. It's a wonderful headphone for music lovers.

So if its more forgiving it means its losing its ability to be more detailed

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #2,234 of 2,544

No, it means something different. The Ori isn't losing anything--it's sounding exactly as Zach voiced it: a slightly warm, bassy, natural, weighty sound that is "musical" in the sense that it sounds much like live acoustic music. The Ori is not "forensic" -- it doesn't dissect & deconstruct music, at the cost of losing that organic, relaxed character some of us like in headphones (and speakers; and DACs; and amps). Other ZMF headphones have these same qualities to varying degrees.

I happen to think the detail & resolution of the Ori are more than sufficient to hear the music quite clearly, but then, I seem to value musicality more than sonic technicalities...

I and most of the people who own Ori's seem to really appreciate them. I bought mine without ever hearing one, and it was love at first listen.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,235 of 2,544

No, since after all I completely disagree with the notion that more detailed = worse for bad recordings. Not sure how this came about. I prefer my Stax SR-009 for all music including poor recordings and masterings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back