1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by levaix, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147
149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158
Next

Last
  1. Rhamnetin
    The TH900 Mk2 has a strong V shaped sound signature: bass bleeds over the mids, treble bleeds over the mids, mids are nowhere to be found and the recession is extreme. Sounds super closed in as a result. Very different than any ZMF and any Sennheiser, so it will complime the Sennheiser but I can't tolerate its sound personally.

2. smodtactical
    Thanks, how does the Ori compare to the TH900 in terms of its bass quantity, authority and slam though? Do you think its a good upgrade over HD650 for bass heavy / electronic music?

Didn't know TH900 was so lacking in mids damn.

3. Vitaly2017

Hey Rhamnetin can you share some feedback on how good is hugo 2 with the ori I am wondering how it compares to my hdv 820. If my hdv820 output 900... Mw versus hugo only 94mw this confuses me alot. According to mw output seems like hugo 2 is not going to open this cans at the full potential?

4. Rhamnetin
    Unfortunately I can't compare the TH-900 to anything in that much detail since I never actually owned it, only listened to it on a few occasions.

I do however own an HD 6XX which is a rebranded HD 650, same sound (I have listened to the HD 650 plenty of times too). In comparison to the Ori, its bass is unextended, one note, lacks the texture and clarity of the Ori, and is soft. It does not compare well to the Ori's bass, few headphones do.

The HD 6XX/650 has a more mid centric sound presentation in general. Treble response seems lower and more laid back, also less refined particularly in the upper mids/lower treble transition which is a critical area that relatively few headphones get right (the Ori gets it right).

I think the Ori is a great upgrade over the HD 650 for everything except classical/chamber music.

5. Rhamnetin
    The Hugo 2 actually has plenty of power for it in that regard. It is a superb pairing, besting the Schiit Lyr 3 with excellent NOS tubes slightly (very similar sound but slightly more refined upper mids/lower treble area). It will probably take a TOTL balanced amp like my Pure BiPolar to improve it further.

6. smodtactical
    Which is perfect since I will be using my HD 800S For classical, ambient, jazz.

Thanks man. I might just go for it.

7. Vitaly2017
    Its interesting we are both in that same boat he.

8. Vitaly2017

Yea but what about that mw output power? Its so low or its not that, that afect how full and powerfull the sound would be with a 300omh hp?

9. Rhamnetin
    You're not really going to feed a headphone 1W in practice, at least 99% of people 99% of the time.

As for 300 ohms headphones, I will find out when I connect a ZMF Eikon to it. Ori is only 50 ohms so no problem.

10. Pharmaboy
    Never heard to TH900 mk2...frankly was scared off by combination of price + frequent mentions of treble brightness among user comments.

Do you mean would the Ori be the best choice vs the other ZMF headphones? Assuming that's what you mean:
    • If you're me, fond of planar sound & great bass, the Ori is a slam-dunk, a no-brainer (I've never regretted buying it)
      • Full disclosure: I never heard the less expensive other ZMF planars
    • But if you prefer dynamic drivers; or are a fan of high resolution, the Eikon (50% more cost than Ori & larger/heavier) would be a great option. I've heard an Eikon at length & think very highly of its sound. Like the Ori, the Eikon would be a change-up from both the HD650 and HD800S
    • Even higher up the ladder is the open-back Auteur. Only heard it briefly in show conditions, unsure whether the "warm" pads or other pads were on it. Not enough experience to characterize that one--beyond saying the blackwood version is one of the prettiest headphones I ever saw.

11. whirlwind

Maybe look for a used ZMF Ori, they show up every now and again on the B/S/T forums here.
    That way if you don't like it as you think you might, you can re-sell it and not take a big hit.

As far as worrying about your amps, only way to know is to try it.....power is only part of the equation of an amp...the synergy and the tone that you are looking for are most important IMHO.
    Meaning an amp that puts out 1 watt at 50 Ohm and has the tone that one is looking for is far more important than having an amp the puts out 10 watt at 50 Ohm....you are not using that 10 watt fully anyway.

12. Vitaly2017
    Wait ori is only 50 omh I was thinking it was 300omh. Can some one tell what is the weight of ori?

13. whirlwind
    The Ori use the Fostex T50R drivers and they are 50 Ohm
    The dynamic headphones...Atticus, Eikon, Auteur are 300 Ohm headphones.

I am pretty sure Zach said most Ori's weigh between 450 - 500 grams...more for the blackwood.
    Yes, they are heavy, but the weight is distributed very nicely, so they do not feel heavy on the head.
    this was a concern of mine , after wearing them, I never even thought about the weight, i can wear them for hours on end.

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  14. Vitaly2017

Any idea how much is the sensitivy.
    Good to know its very comfortable and probably ligther then lcd2 ! That huge + for me. Cause I am going to ware them for hours it will be my pillows attached to my head hehe.

15. Pharmaboy
    for absolute best comfort w/an Ori, get the Pilot Pad. It's very comfortable. When I hear the Ori, the word "comfort" never even enters my mind. It's all about the sound.

re earpads, I use the Ori pads, also very comfortable. I also tried ZMF cowhides (same shape/size as Ori pads, but somewhat stiffer foam + cowhide vs lambskin). IMO the sound & seal are both better w/Ori pads.

whirlwind likes this.
First

Back
138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147
149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158
Next

Last