ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Sep 8, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #2,251 of 2,544
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,252 of 2,544
Zach hooked me up with some B-stock bocote Oris and I couldn't be happier at the moment! They definitely live up to all the positive reviews I've read, they're hard to put down! I love how breathtakingly natural and present the midrange sounds, having had the TH900 for a year. What a breath of fresh air to not have recessed mids.

I'm glad I sold the TH900, that nagging feeling that something was missing from the overall presentation was unbearable. With the Ori I feel like I'm getting everything I want. And it's such an involving and totally fun listen to boot. Usually I'm surfing the internet while I'm listening, but with the Ori all I wanna do is stare at my screen doing absolutely nothing but become totally immersed in the music...

Beautiful headphones! Cables are awfully pretty, as well.

I run my Ori (ormosia henryi wood) from a V281 (same power modules as V281), also from a Lake People G109-A. The Violectric "house sound" is just about perfect for the Ori--also for the very fine dynamic, the Eikon (have a borrowed Eikon at the moment).

These are headphones that really make music for the ears...

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,253 of 2,544

My new Ori (Padauk, Grecian copper sliders) + Milo and some ancillary equipment. I'm LOVING these headphones, they sound amazing! Thanks, Zach!

I run my Ori (ormosia henryi wood) from a V281 (same power modules as V281).

Two of my favorite amps with the ori! Doesn't really get better than a wells milo or Violectric 281.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 8, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,254 of 2,544
Wow! Nice pair and cable too!

Thanx lol :)

I run my Ori (ormosia henryi wood) from a V281 (same power modules as V281), also from a Lake People G109-A. The Violectric "house sound" is just about perfect for the Ori--also for the very fine dynamic, the Eikon (have a borrowed Eikon at the moment).

These are headphones that really make music for the ears...

I agree regarding the Violectric amps. They really make the Ori sing! I would looove to try the Eikon on my setup.

What gain setting are you using btw? I have my V280 set to +6 and turned all the way to the right. The volume on my DAC is usually -7.5 dB to -5.5 dB, depending. Yes, I like to listen loudly lol.

I found that the +6 gain setting on the Violectric produces more natural vocals and is clearer than +12 for me when using Ori

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #2,255 of 2,544
On the subject of amp pairings, the Pure BiPolar does wondrous things for the Ori. This would be my #1 amp choice for the Ori/Blackwood of any amp out there (though the only reason I'd take this over the GS-X Mk2 is because I prefer Chord DACs which are all single ended).

U76VuHf.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #2,256 of 2,544
Thanx lol :)

I agree regarding the Violectric amps. They really make the Ori sing! I would looove to try the Eikon on my setup.

What gain setting are you using btw? I have my V280 set to +6 and turned all the way to the right. The volume on my DAC is usually -7.5 dB to -5.5 dB, depending. Yes, I like to listen loudly lol.

I found that the +6 gain setting on the Violectric produces more natural vocals and is clearer than +12 for me when using Ori

The V280 and V281 may share power sections & circuit diagram, but they might be very different in terms of gain flexibility. The V281 lets you switch gain up or down by a total of 14 dB, kind of incredible (it's all done w/dipswitches)--and there are separate gain settings for headphone signal out vs line out. I found that the V281 is a hotter amp/preamp than anything I've had in my system before. That's partly because the Audio GD NOS 19 and DAC-19 that I use as DACs output 2.5v, 25% higher than the typical 2.0v (they don't have volume pots--it's fixed output, so that the external preamp adjusts volume). Still, the fact I had to knock down my V281 by 12 dB on both outputs tells you that it must be pretty gain-ey in absolute terms, apart from my DAC.

Of course, the Ori, being the power-hoggiest headphone I have, lets me get the volume pot of the V281 (or any other amp) higher than w/any other headphone. I can actually get the V281 up the 11-11:30 on the dial, a level that would instantly deafen me with a more efficient headphone. With all my other headphones, it's rare for me to get up as high as 9:30-10 on the dial

If memory serves, when I use the G109-A instead of the V281 (it has the same Alps pot as your V280), I still can't get it up to 12 o'clock w/the Ori. So when you say, "I have my V280 set to +6 and turned all the way to the right." -- I can't even relate to that. You must have the DAC output pushed down pretty far for that to happen...

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #2,258 of 2,544
Just a note to those lurkers reading this thread... don't sleep on the Oris, these headphones are AMAZING! Been enjoying my Padauk Oris for a couple weeks now, and it's incredible how deliciously revealing they have been... powerful bass, background details never heard, panning effects never before noticed... really really glad I got these, and keeping them as my main closed headphones, with my new 009/BHSE as my open rig.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #2,259 of 2,544
Just a note to those lurkers reading this thread... don't sleep on the Oris, these headphones are AMAZING! Been enjoying my Padauk Oris for a couple weeks now, and it's incredible how deliciously revealing they have been... powerful bass, background details never heard, panning effects never before noticed... really really glad I got these, and keeping them as my main closed headphones, with my new 009/BHSE as my open rig.

I agree 100%...

Bought my ormosia henryi Ori early last year. Totally loved it from the 1st listen. Have heard many other fine headphones since then, @2-3X the price of the Ori. Also purchased other headphones in that time; several of those are very fine, too, I've moved away from closed back designs--more interested now in open-backs of all kinds, especially planars.

And yet...periodically I go back to the Ori, not sure whether I'll still like it, and I'm shocked all over again how spacious, impactful & musical the sound is. There's just something special about this headphone: soundstaging is epic for a closed back, and the bass is among the top 2-3 best I've ever heard. With a Pilot Pad on the headband, it's also just about the most comfortable HP I've ever tried (the weight doesn't bother me).

I've compared my Ori in depth to the equally wonderful (but different) ZMF Eikon. These are 2 great headphones that do things a little bit differently. Both are must haves IMO.

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #2,260 of 2,544
I agree 100%...

I've compared my Ori in depth to the equally wonderful (but different) ZMF Eikon. These are 2 great headphones that do things a little bit differently. Both are must haves IMO.

I have both the Ori and Eikon and agree with your assessment. Both are fantastic but different. I haven’t even looked at any other headphones since acquiring them earlier this year.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,262 of 2,544
How do the Ori and Atticus (which I own) compliment each other? I'm sure this has probably been asked at least a few times already, but I'm looking for a descent comparison and if it's worth owning both without them sounding to much alike. Thanx......

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,263 of 2,544
I have both. I find the Ori a little more laid back and polite, and yet a touch brighter up top. (Yet still very pleasantly non-bright and non-fatiguing). The Atticus is more upfront with that copious midbass. Generally, I think the Atticus is a bit of an improvement; but if I want something a little more even-handed and easy-going I reach for the Ori. I think both are wonderful. The problem with the Ori for me though is that it needs a lot of juice before it really starts singing.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #2,264 of 2,544
I have both. I find the Ori a little more laid back and polite, and yet a touch brighter up top. (Yet still very pleasantly non-bright and non-fatiguing). The Atticus is more upfront with that copious midbass. Generally, I think the Atticus is a bit of an improvement; but if I want something a little more even-handed and easy-going I reach for the Ori. I think both are wonderful. The problem with the Ori for me though is that it needs a lot of juice before it really starts singing.
Pretty much what I was looking for. Seems like they're very similar with subtle differences. Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back