1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by levaix, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
Next

Last
  1. whirlwind
    The Ori definitely has to be considered...it covers the sub bass and liquid smooth mids and treble that you describe that you want...like a blanket

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  2. Vitaly2017
    Thats awsum this will be a tremendous change from my hd800s hehe. Do you think my hdv820 dac amp combo would be sufficent do drive the ori with pride? Or any particular recomendations pls will be appreciated thanks

3. Rhamnetin
    You describe the Ori perfectly. LCD-2 bass might be slightly fuller but the upper mid/lower treble recession makes vocals and many instruments sound oddly veiked and fake, can't recommend. If those issues were fixed on an Audeze headphone, then you would end up with something like the Ori.

Wes S and commtrd like this.
  4. whirlwind

The HD800 and the Ori compliment each other nicely IMO.
    Two different headphones.

The Ori needs more current then the HD800 to get the most from it.

I am unfamiliar with your amp , so all I can say is try it and see what you think.

I listen with tubes, but I know many here can probably help you out with some not too expensive solid state amps that work well with the Ori, if you would need to go that route.

The Ori is a lot of fun!

5. Pharmaboy
    I own the Ori (ormosia henryi wood, same as @whirlwind) & a vintage pre-fazor LCD-2.1, one of the early ones. I've also heard a modded HD800. Here's my 2 cents:
    • The Ori is probably the ideal complement for the HD800, out of all the headphones I've heard. It's a close-back planar, w/that wonderful planar smoothness, crushing bass, explosive dynamics when called for; and the 2nd best soundstaging I ever heard from a closed back (1st was Eikon). The overall voicing is classic ZMF: slightly warm & highly musical. You really can't go wrong w/an Ori unless you're intent on getting tons of detail & "accuracy" (ie, verging on bright) from every headphone, as some are
    • My LCD-2.1 is similar to the Ori in overall tonality/voicing, but different in nearly every other way. It's an open-back planar so it feels different, listening to it. The sound "breathes" better than w/a closed back. I'm nuts about this headphone--IMO it's a true all rounder--but I don't kid myself that everyone will love it. Also, I've heard the fazor version of this and definitely prefer pre-fazor.
      • For what it's worth, I disagree with @Rhamnetin's comment about the upper mids & treble of the LCD-2. At least to my ears, these ranges of the HP sound very very good. Not sure whether the LCD-2 he refers to is is fazor-type, or pre-fazor (my guess would be it's fazor, since that technology does funny things to upper mids & treble on some recordings).

BTW, your HDV820 would appear to have more than enough power & current for 99% of all headphones, including the Ori. Here's a paragraph from a review by Head-Fi's own @Hansotek (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1117/Sennheiser_HDV820_DAC_Headamp_Review.htm):

The second thing it has is power, and lots of it. Per Sennheiser's Axel Grell, it puts out a very clean 2.76 Watts of power at 32 Ohms, 2.5 Watts at 50 Ohms and 960mW at 300 Ohms. While 2.5W at 50 Ohms may not sound particularly jaw-dropping to the power-hungry planar crowd, let me assure you, this amp has more than enough current on tap to get the job done. It drove the ever-demanding Abyss AB-1266 (86dB sensitivity) fairly well, and had absolutely no problems driving the slightly-less-demanding ZMF Ori and HIFIMAN HE500.

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  6. whirlwind
    Vitaly2017 likes this.
  7. Pharmaboy
    Isn't that a Beatles tune?

whirlwind and Vitaly2017 like this.
  8. Vitaly2017

Thanks for sharing your toughts and helping me with my decision.
    Short story I think I officialy become an audiophile 2 months ago. Thats when I finaly achieved a very hard goal by roaming around headfi forum reviews and 100eds of hours of youtube reviews also. In my mind I was searching for that perfect sound signature so I can enjoy music to its full potential and get every possible bite of it. So I had the hd800s paired with micro black ifi and had around 600h into it so far and thats in a period of 5 to 6 months. I loved it but always 1 major problem, i still didnt get used to tha treble of the hd800s its just piercing loud to often. I think i start to understand why. Because of the type of music I listen, which is edm 85% and 15% just what ever I feel like to the mood. Since i got the hd800s I also started to enjoy more classics, acoustics and live recordings ( singles )

So I got the hdv820 with furutech pg-15 power cable, ifi mercury 3.0 and ipurifier 2.0 to make the hdv820 at hes maximum potential possible. Plus i got the wire world nano eclipse 7n full copper cable upgrade for the hd800s.

I gota say it sounds phenomenal its breathe taking I also can experience some joy and make me cry it just drives my soul in such silky smouthe way a very exeptional feeling i really enjoy the music. I spent a lot of money already on my system and I believe i got a darn good setup to the point where higher might not bring mush benefit anymore.

So yea that was probably a bit long storry hehe.

But according to your opinion the new lcd 2 classic open might be a better sounding hp due to it being open back?

I did a a/b comparison with lcd x and xc also my hd800s from my hdv820 and to my surprise i prefered my hd800s with wireworld. Cable. The x sounded almost like identical to my hp though my hd800s had a better bass response with an extra slight little rumbly effect wish lcdx couldnt do. Though on positive side to the x it was never siblant or treble anoying.

The comparison between x and xc was that the was always better and more sonicaly pleasant. The xc had a strange resonance to the tonality and was way to apparent. I didnt like it. And boy its so heavy compare to lcd x .I felt like i could break my neck if i do a bad move zzzz.

So yea thats why i was aiming for the lcd2 classic open. But then saw ori and dont know wich suites best.

To add more to the storry I also have the shure se846 that i been listening for 1.5 years they probably have 1500h + of listening used it with jds labs c5d.

The shure are pure plessure very musical also got big bass, deep bounssy and subwoofer like. They are also very detailed and offer good amount of micro details to some textures are also well defined. Though they lack on mids and highs to my liking. This is the reason I am here today still looking for that perfect wave of sound that is produced threw a hp.

Wonder how the se849 compares to ori and lcd2 classics

9. Vitaly2017
    aclassicsalso forgot to mention my hdv 820 didnt pair well with aeon flow closed. Had not enouf volume even at 90% and i could hear a lot of distortion in that region.

But funny fact the lcd x and xc was totaly fine at 50% and never heard a single distortion!

10. Pharmaboy
    I loved music from before I could walk or talk. My father was a music lover--he played classical music (Beethoven symphonies) and big band jazz by Count Basie & Duke Ellington while my mother fed me & my twin brother in our high-chairs. I thought music was magic; I still do.

I began calling myself "audiophile" 40+ years ago, as I realized how wonderful music could sound on a really good audio system (BTW, "good" does not automatically = "expensive"). I got seriously into desktop audio ~10 years ago, then went down the headphone rabbit hole starting ~3 years ago.

Re this ("I gota say it sounds phenomenal its breathe taking I also can experience some joy and make me cry it just drives my soul in such silky smouthe way a very exeptional feeling i really enjoy the music.") -- I know the feeling. Music + good sound = joy.

Re this ("But according to your opinion the new lcd 2 classic open might be a better sounding hp due to it being open back?"). Not better--just different. Headphones play by different rules than big 2-channel systems:
    • You can have multiple pairs of headphones, getting a special/unique sound from each one (I have 8)
    • Same for amps...different amps give a somewhat different sound (I have 7)
    • So many combinations are possible (don't even get me started on DACs...another rabbit hole)
    My first "serious" headphone was the Fidelio X2. Still have them/still love them. They helped me discover 2 important realizations:
    1. I love a certain sound signature in headphones, just as in speakers: somewhat bassy (ie, bass is excellent in both quantity & quality); very musical/natural sounding; not bright. That was the X2's gift to me--showing my desired HP sound to me
    2. And I didn't realize it at the time, but they X2s also showed me the particular appeal of open-back design in headphones--a sense of relaxation, freedom from resonance, with music "breathing" naturally
    After the X2s, I went on journey discovering closed back designs. I kept 1, sold others. The best I've heard are my Ori (listening to it now--amazing!) & the ZMF Eikon (listened to a borrowed pair of cherry Eikon for weeks--endgame quality). I realized I prefer planar drivers, but the designer's skill & how the headphone is "voiced" matter more than driver type by itself.

Then a journey discovering open back designs (the last 4 headphones I got are open-back). There's something special about open-back sound.

Is my LCD-2.1 better than my Ori because it's open? Some days yes, other days no. I can't imagine selling either one; each sounds amazing.

My advice to you is to hone in on your desired sound signature--then get 1 or more headphones that come close to perfection in that signature. You already have an endgame open back; so the logical move is to get an engame/near endgame closed back.

(right now the Ori sounds incredibly good)

Vitaly2017 likes this.
  11. Vitaly2017
    Wow you really got a long background in music for so many years. Me I discovered that I love music by buying a pair of b&o h8 many years a go when I had a completly different understanding and the way I looked at music. Yea in that time I tod bluetooth headset and with beutifull design was all it had to be hehe didnt even realises that how good it can sound wired. Eventually changed the h8 to momentum wireless cause h8 was on ear headphone and jeeez it was so painfull I couldnt sleep on my pilow. My ears were so in pain. At that moment I still liked how it sounded over momentum but went for comfort cause of long listening periods of time.

Then again it wasnt enouf so I started researching on forums a good hp with top sound quality and maximum isolation. End up with shure se846 again we can say it was quiet pricey for my budget at that time for what I would of tought a lot of daugh for an iem. Felt like I baught a ferrari but in headphones segment lol.

Your collection of hp and amp and dacs impresses me prety much I wonder if thats not gona be me in future lol. I have this talk with my gf and I talk to her alot about hp and shes like yea k are you gona increase your collection of hp to like all those audiophiles on youtube??? I am like but they are all so different and seductive seriously if I had the money I would just buy wich ever I like then try them all and pick only the one I like the most.
    For me the hardest thing is you read forum and reviews but they arent really 100% as it may sound to my ears. And there is no where to try them cause no stores around where I live has this. And that makes me go on a guess a lot of the times. But sp far I think I got it not bad.

I think I agree with you on the open back hp it is true that tend to sound more natural and fit well with the timbre and naturalisme of how we perceiv the sound. This is why i prefer buy a hp that will sound natural and harmonical.

Would the ori sound like that? Does the facts its closed back will make me prefer the lcd2c? I have to admit I am very peaky in that regard if it sound with some imperfection i wont like it.

I hope I will find 1 hp that can do all genras and all song at the perfection but more learn this hobby more I understand you need many hp lol.

I will tell you a little secret I am actually listening to music whil driving a semi truck, yes I am a truck driver hehe and audiophile. And I have to admit it quiet darn noisy in a truck and open back hp is a probleme. But open back sound better then closed and that my issue he big dilema here. It was the reason why i got shure se846 actually. Though I realised that big hp is the way to go. Luckily enouf my truck is big and I got a sleeper truck so I can store my amp and hp around sp they wont fall or get dmg with vibration.
    So yea saying this I am actually on a hunt for 1 ultimate hp that can suit me the most for my music cause I wont be carrying 8 dacs 5 amps and 10 hp with me lmao.
    This is also the reason why I listen so so many hours maybe 5h a days average and I am chilling with the music on the road I have to say its quiet a fun experience :)

Guess ori closed back is probably the most smartest way to go and if maybe add eikon to replace hd800s. Since its a very nicely made hp with almost all the features I love that hd800s dont have.

Did you had experience with chord dac/amps? Wonder if in my case cenario a hugo2 wouldnt be a better solution to compact size and stelar performance acording to reviews of course I never auditioned it. I just heard mojo but wasnt impressed unfortunately.

Hey thanks again I am surprised that I am writing so much. I believe its the invisible audiophile bond that reunites us so much aaa the power of music is so cosmic impressive he.

12. Vitaly2017
    I d like to add this is the type of music I am actually listening its just a small portion of it actually just give a taste.

1 saying (feat. Damon Albarn) Kolsch remix
    2 Solar Plexus
    3 The Keeper - Alex Banks Remix
    4 Silence
    5 Ikata-1
    6 Azure Aquarings - Original Mix
    7 Seeing Things

The 8th song is one example wich can make me cry at exactly 3min its where it starts I really like that song its soft and gentle same time very toching my heart and soul just tears of joy.

Romance In Dubai.
    Artist : Kaftan
    Album: Sunbed Chill Out ( best of 2014-2016)

I got about 10 songs like that in a special playlist if you are interested I could share them.

13. Vitaly2017
    1403965-zmf-ori-limited-edition-cocobolo-headphones-with-upgrade-cable.jpg download.jpeg I just looked at the zmf ori and cocobolo wood cups are pretty sexy. Its also stated in the spec that cocobolo is the perfect selection for overall good sound resonance.

Is this the cocobolo I cant find exactly on there site.

Also heard the headband have changed why they dont update the pictures on there site?

gibsonsg87 likes this.
  14. whirlwind

Yes, those are cocobolo cups. The Ori comes with a couple of different types of headbands...I am not aware of a newer type of headband for the Ori, but I guess it is possible.

Here is mine, which have the same headband and pilot pad as the one you picture.....pilot pad is really comfy by the way.

DSC00032.JPG DSC00049.JPG

gibsonsg87 and Vitaly2017 like this.
  15. zach915m
    The headband was just changed slightly for the t50rp MK3 - so we recommend the leather band slightly over the pilot pad now, they both work fine though and the headband is very similar to the MKII just Fostex shortened it a touch and bent it slightly flatter.

Also - yes - we have Cocobolo in stock for the Ori.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
    Rhamnetin and whirlwind like this.
First

Back
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
Next

Last