ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #2,101 of 2,544
It is an Ori kind of listening day for me.

Just gave them a fresh polish...looks as good as they day I received them and that planar bass is so much fun.
DSC01165.JPG

Listening to this album as I post.
51lbWIIS5IL.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,102 of 2,544
Does anyone have Alpha Primes too? How do they compare and has anyone tried an xduoo tube dac with these?

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #2,104 of 2,544
I've had plenty of headphone action in recent months--this or that new one + headphones borrowed on occasion from a generous Head-Fi pal. So I haven't listened to the Ori a lot lately.

2-3 weeks ago I spend a night listening. Wow! The more I hear/the more I learn, and when I return to the Ori, it just gets even better. My thoughts in this recent session:
  • Damn, these are comfortable! (that Pilot Pad rocks the Ori, for sure)
  • Listen to that bass! BASS!!
  • This is epic soundstaging for a closed back
The beautiful ormosia henryi earcups & finish only reinforce my admiration for this headphone*

*which BTW has been my entree into planar sound, which interests me greatly--especially (these days) open-back planars

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,105 of 2,544
This is my second planar, my first being the HE400 which I sold due to lack of use because of the HD700. Unless something unexpected happens, my fourth planar should be the Mobius.

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,106 of 2,544
This is my second planar, my first being the HE400 which I sold due to lack of use because of the HD700. Unless something unexpected happens, my fourth planar should be the Mobius.

That's an interesting headphone (but I'm not a gamer)

My "planar thing" brought me to the LCD 2.1 (2011 vintage pre-fazor), recently purchased from original owner (there's much to like about the LCD-2). I'm seriously considering getting another planar that has interested me for months--the Hifiman Edition X v2 (used); also very interested in MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open.

headphone audio = metastatic wallet deflation + great sound/music appreciation

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #2,107 of 2,544
I'm certainly curious about the Aeon, but I'm unsure if I'd prefer open or closed, but it's high on my list of things I want to try. I auditioned the LCD2 for a couple weeks years back and certainly enjoyed it, but I feel like the Ori sated any need I had for that one. I wouldn't mind trying the Sundara as it feels like impressions are quite favorable so far. Now if only I could convince myself to pick up the Monoprice M300 again, and see if I could turn it into a clip on headphone like the KSC75 just for kicks.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #2,108 of 2,544
Has anyone used the Ori/Omni or Blackwood with only a Chord Hugo 2, and compared this to a powerful solid state or hybrid amp like a Schiit Lyr 2 or 3? I'm curious how well a Hugo 2 can drive this, much better than my Mojo that's for sure but how far from a powerful desktop amp I wonder.

May 22, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,109 of 2,544
I have to say, I'm a bit surprised that the ZMF planars aren't more popular. Their sound signature is kind of like Audeze's but without the upper mid/lower treble dip, and with cleaner overall treble response. I'd recommend the Ori over the LCD-2F/2C to anyone and everyone. Probably even over the LCD-3, though it has been a while since I've listened to the LCD-3.

May 23, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,110 of 2,544
I have to say, I'm a bit surprised that the ZMF planars aren't more popular. Their sound signature is kind of like Audeze's but without the upper mid/lower treble dip, and with cleaner overall treble response. I'd recommend the Ori over the LCD-2F/2C to anyone and everyone. Probably even over the LCD-3, though it has been a while since I've listened to the LCD-3.

Interesting post. I have an LCD-2.1; have heard an LCD-2 (fazor) at length IMS; briefly heard an LCD-3; and own a ZMF Ori.

I agree that ZMF planars should be more popular. But as much as I love the Ori, I see reasons for why they're not:
  1. They're all seen as "T50RP mods" -- just one of many, in other words. In truth, that's grossly unfair, particularly w/regard to the Omni/Ori, which shares a driver and frame w/the Fostex HP, but nothing else. "Complete reimagining of the T50RP" is closer to the truth...
  2. These planars are closed back, while others you named are all open-back. Many prefer open designs (me, too--tho I can't imagine selling my Ori).
  3. The best of the ZMF planars, the Omni/Ori, its pretty heavy. Also somewhat more expensive than LCD-2's, 2C's, etc.
As far as gross tonality (generalizing now), you're right--the sound signature (at least of my Ori) is roughly comparable to the LCDs, though it must be said that the Ori's bass is exceptional, besting most planars of any design or price.

The irony of this comparison IMO lies in soundstaging: my Ori has better soundstaging than any LCD I've heard, in terms of sonic space around head (in which notes are placed), ability to portray acoustic spaces in which music is played, etc.

The LCD-2s I've heard have a somewhat less spacious soundstage, but it's accompanied by that subtle feeling of relaxation that comes with the open back design. My exposure to the LCD-3 was brief, but I recall its soundstaging as being somewhat larger & definitely more refined than the LCD-2's.

My pipe-dream headphone is a ZMF open-back planar, voiced that musical, ear-friendly way of the Ori. That would really be something special.

May 23, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,111 of 2,544
my ori is on the way. next week i'll be comparing ori to auteur and lcd2 2018 vrersion and decide what to keep. i'd like to have an atticus too but it would get to expensive..
someone who have tried ori vs atticus vs auteur??

May 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,112 of 2,544
my ori is on the way. next week i'll be comparing ori to auteur and lcd2 2018 vrersion and decide what to keep. i'd like to have an atticus too but it would get to expensive..
someone who have tried ori vs atticus vs auteur??

I look forward to your impressions here.

I have the Ori and Atticus and I have had a half an hour with the Auteur, but it was with my own gear. All tube amps and the Holo Spring L3 dac
I want to hear an LCD 3 , just want to hear the planar bass in an open can.
The Ori and Atticus are wonderful compliments to each other and both have top notch slam...love them.

May 23, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #2,113 of 2,544
Interesting post. I have an LCD-2.1; have heard an LCD-2 (fazor) at length IMS; briefly heard an LCD-3; and own a ZMF Ori.

I agree that ZMF planars should be more popular. But as much as I love the Ori, I see reasons for why they're not:
  1. They're all seen as "T50RP mods" -- just one of many, in other words. In truth, that's grossly unfair, particularly w/regard to the Omni/Ori, which shares a driver and frame w/the Fostex HP, but nothing else. "Complete reimagining of the T50RP" is closer to the truth...
  2. These planars are closed back, while others you named are all open-back. Many prefer open designs (me, too--tho I can't imagine selling my Ori).
  3. The best of the ZMF planars, the Omni/Ori, its pretty heavy. Also somewhat more expensive than LCD-2's, 2C's, etc.
As far as gross tonality (generalizing now), you're right--the sound signature (at least of my Ori) is roughly comparable to the LCDs, though it must be said that the Ori's bass is exceptional, besting most planars of any design or price.

The irony of this comparison IMO lies in soundstaging: my Ori has better soundstaging than any LCD I've heard, in terms of sonic space around head (in which notes are placed), ability to portray acoustic spaces in which music is played, etc.

The LCD-2s I've heard have a somewhat less spacious soundstage, but it's accompanied by that subtle feeling of relaxation that comes with the open back design. My exposure to the LCD-3 was brief, but I recall its soundstaging as being somewhat larger & definitely more refined than the LCD-2's.

My pipe-dream headphone is a ZMF open-back planar, voiced that musical, ear-friendly way of the Ori. That would really be something special.

I would say you hit the nail on the head. People see a modded T50 for $900 and are deterred, little do they know the ZMFs are to be reckoned with.

The only thing I will disagree with is the weight of these headphones; they have a suspension headband design now that effectively offloads much of the weight. Shouldn't be a problem.

The Blackwood actually has better imaging than many respected open back headphones, and it's fully closed. But yes a fully open Ori would be something to behold.

May 23, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,114 of 2,544
Re weight, I should've mentioned that the Ori is probably the most comfortable headphone I own. I have a Pilot Pad on the headband--between that & those very comfy Ori pads, it's perfect.

I may be less susceptible to comfort and/or weight issues than some here. I have an original LCD-2.1 (complete with that skimpy open-foam headband), and I can wear/enjoy those for hours.

May 23, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,115 of 2,544
I have the pilot pad also...very comfy indeed.
It felt heavy on the head when i first got it, but I was use to the HD800.
I do not even think about the weight of it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back