ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jun 9, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,132 of 2,544
1. Your PH Ori's are beautiful!
2. You have an Eikon, too?
3. Comparing these is a fascinating & fun thing to do...

I own an ormosia henryi Ori (LOVE that headphone)...also had several lengthy listening periods (>1 wk each time) w/a borrowed cherry Eikon, comparing them on balanced & SE amps. Very interesting & very fun.

My only regret is that I got an OTL tube amp (Woo WA3) since last hearing that borrowed Ori. I really need to hear the high impedance Eikon on the OTL, since my other experiences hearing higher-impedance HPs on it (LCD-2.1 @70 ohms; modded HD650@300 ohms, same as Eikon) were revelations.

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #2,133 of 2,544
you are lucky! mine got lost by fedex last month.
i'm looking forward to read your impressions

That sucks... sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ll get a replacement or some compensation from FedEx.

Only have a couple hours on and off but what I am hearing is fantastic so far. Sort of like a really expensive wine. It doesn’t hit you immediately but you know you are going to be tasting and enjoying something special.

The first descriptive word that comes to my mind when listening to the Ori is SMOOTH. A really smooth sounding headphone. I can hear the bass is strong and textured but yet it doesn’t make me dwell on it. The transitions from low to mid to high are, well, smooth and very engaging. More later...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,134 of 2,544
1. Your PH Ori's are beautiful!
2. You have an Eikon, too?
3. Comparing these is a fascinating & fun thing to do...

I own an ormosia henryi Ori (LOVE that headphone)...also had several lengthy listening periods (>1 wk each time) w/a borrowed cherry Eikon, comparing them on balanced & SE amps. Very interesting & very fun.

My only regret is that I got an OTL tube amp (Woo WA3) since last hearing that borrowed Ori. I really need to hear the high impedance Eikon on the OTL, since my other experiences hearing higher-impedance HPs on it (LCD-2.1 @70 ohms; modded HD650@300 ohms, same as Eikon) were revelations.

Much appreciated. Zach said he hadn’t done an Ori PH with the grecian sliders before but really liked how they turned out and I couldn’t agree more.

Yes, I also ordered an Eikon. I wanted a dynamic, but I had already been down the Fostex TH-X00 road and desired something “special” and a bit different than a too bass-heavy dymanic. After a couple of email exchanges with Zach on the Atticus vs Eikon I took his advice and settled with an Eikon.

Gonna listen to the Eikon on Monday connected a hybrid tube amp. Looking at an OTL though eventually for the Eikon. Will be a fun next couple of weeks listening/comparing the planar to the bio-celled dymanic.

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,135 of 2,544
Much appreciated. Zach said he hadn’t done an Ori PH with the grecian sliders before but really liked how they turned out and I couldn’t agree more.

Yes, I also ordered an Eikon. I wanted a dynamic, but I had already been down the Fostex TH-X00 road and desired something “special” and a bit different than a too bass-heavy dymanic. After a couple of email exchanges with Zach on the Atticus vs Eikon I took his advice and settled with an Eikon.

Gonna listen to the Eikon on Monday connected a hybrid tube amp. Looking at an OTL though eventually for the Eikon. Will be a fun next couple of weeks listening/comparing the planar to the bio-celled dymanic.

I am so impressed with the Eikon. It's a true endgame/heavyweight headphone...not perfect, but very high level in multiple ways.

I've only heard two biocellulose driver designs, the Eikon and the E-Mu Teaks. They're very different designs (Eikon reaches a lot farther towards TOTL sound)...but both have sound that in certain ways is unlike other dynamics I've heard. And definitely unlike planars. There's something special about planars...beside the Ori, I have a "unicorn" LCD-2.1, one of the originals, and love it.

Pls share your thoughts after comparing these 2 HPs. And BTW, "smooth" is definitely something I also hear in the Ori. Zach really knows what he's doing.

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2,136 of 2,544
Just took delivery today. Purple Hearts with grecian sliders... Zach, you are an artist. Magnificent looking and sounding... (poor lighting and an iPhone photo just can't do justice).

I also took delivery on Eikons and I haven't even opened those yet... excited!

What a coincidence! I also got a purpleheart Ori in the mail today. I will get an Eikon in a few months.

3N7Qr3C.jpg

k6kBWlg.jpg

And next to the Blackwood:

9CAfwM3.jpg

NAy17jy.jpg

Ftq8NMB.jpg

Listened to it for about an hour with my Pure BiPolar amp (which is always balanced). Sounds like the Blackwood but "faster" with more realistic sounding decay, more "airy" treble that seems in between the Blackwood with one bass port plugged and two plugged, but I obviously need to do more listening. It's superb, that much is obvious.

Both the Blackwood and Ori are the reason I'm returning the Audeze LCD-4. To me, both the ZMFs are clearly better! LCD-4's treble dips ruin it, stellar performance elsewhere but such a critical fundamental flaw makes it sound far less natural than these... and the bass performance of both of these is still excellent and very impressive next to the LCD-4.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,137 of 2,544
What a coincidence! I also got a purpleheart Ori in the mail today. I will get an Eikon in a few months.

3N7Qr3C.jpg

k6kBWlg.jpg

And next to the Blackwood:

9CAfwM3.jpg

NAy17jy.jpg

Ftq8NMB.jpg

Listened to it for about an hour with my Pure BiPolar amp (which is always balanced). Sounds like the Blackwood but "faster" with more realistic sounding decay, more "airy" treble that seems in between the Blackwood with one bass port plugged and two plugged, but I obviously need to do more listening. It's superb, that much is obvious.

Both the Blackwood and Ori are the reason I'm returning the Audeze LCD-4. To me, both the ZMFs are clearly better! LCD-4's treble dips ruin it, stellar performance elsewhere but such a critical fundamental flaw makes it sound far less natural than these... and the bass performance of both of these is still excellent and very impressive next to the LCD-4.
Oh my! Those look stunning! I would kill to have both of those!

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #2,138 of 2,544
Just took delivery today. Purple Hearts with grecian sliders... Zach, you are an artist. Magnificent looking and sounding... (poor lighting and an iPhone photo just can't do justice).

I also took delivery on Eikons and I haven't even opened those yet... excited!

Interesting that the sliders still say fostex, on yours. I have not noticed that in other pictures of Ori headphones.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,139 of 2,544
I am so impressed with the Eikon. It's a true endgame/heavyweight headphone...not perfect, but very high level in multiple ways.

I've only heard two biocellulose driver designs, the Eikon and the E-Mu Teaks. They're very different designs (Eikon reaches a lot farther towards TOTL sound)...but both have sound that in certain ways is unlike other dynamics I've heard. And definitely unlike planars. There's something special about planars...beside the Ori, I have a "unicorn" LCD-2.1, one of the originals, and love it.

Pls share your thoughts after comparing these 2 HPs. And BTW, "smooth" is definitely something I also hear in the Ori. Zach really knows what he's doing.

I agree with you... the Eikons are VERY impressive. Maybe I should pick this up in the Eikon thread but suffice to say, I really like both, but the Eikons... Whoa!

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,141 of 2,544
Yeah I've never seen that before, caught my eye.

I noticed it too right off the bat but doesn’t bother me. The wood color/finish catches my eye more.

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #2,143 of 2,544
The more i read the more i curse. My ori is still Missing

I assume you bought it brand new from zmf, so its insured? I would be pretty mad at the mail carrier if that happened to me!

Someone could have recognized the package and swiped it. I remember someone a while back who lost their MrSpeakers Ether in the mail due to theft.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,144 of 2,544
I noticed it too right off the bat but doesn’t bother me. The wood color/finish catches my eye more.

Ah yeah it shouldn't be like that. Send me an email via the website etc and I'll send you the non Fostex/blank ones if you want to replace them.

The more i read the more i curse. My ori is still Missing

I assume you bought it brand new from zmf, so its insured? I would be pretty mad at the mail carrier if that happened to me!

Someone could have recognized the package and swiped it. I remember someone a while back who lost their MrSpeakers Ether in the mail due to theft.

Argh yeah I have no idea what happened. We don't use fancy boxes on the outside for this very reason. I might switch to UPS for international and see if we have better luck, we have had some issues lately with fed-ex international. Going to make sure @lentoviolento gets a pair of Ori's regardless!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back