ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 26, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #571 of 7,364
To keep life sane we are going to delay limited releases of Caldera until 2023 Q1. Just in case anyone wasn't clear on this yet, the release sale will be only for the two versions of White Oak. It does match the Feliks Envy we just got very well though which is always cool.
Will the initial pricing on the two Caldera options be the same or will the coffee-stained be more expensive similar to the aged Cherry option on the Atrium release?

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #572 of 7,364
On my VC I ended up using the Universe solid pads and going into the bottlehead crack which was 120 ohm. The Caldera will be perfect for you haha.
I too suffer from sensitivity in this presence region. :frowning2:

Glad to hear that the Caldera (Closed) may be right down my alley. Surely, there's still bound to be something that the VC's drivers/tuning outperforms the Caldera on, right? Riiiiiigghhttt? (Inb4 fomo starts to settle in lol)

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #573 of 7,364
I too suffer from sensitivity in this presence region. :frowning2:

Glad to hear that the Caldera (Closed) may be right down my alley. Surely, there's still bound to be something that the VC's drivers/tuning outperforms the Caldera on, right? Riiiiiigghhttt? (Inb4 fomo starts to settle in lol)
Sorry I hate fomo! The VC is fantastic. Please enjoy it. Caldera is a different sound and they can live side by side happily ever after. Sometimes when I'm going to listen to an album that is challenging on the VC in that way, I stick some little DIY inserts into the cups a la Dan Clark tuning felt lol. I bought some aquarium honeycomb sock filters from Amazon that I cut into circles. They have hole punches throughout so they don't muffle the highs, but they smooth it out a bit. My meta-meta-material. You sacrifice a some dimension. Apologies for hijacking the Caldera hype thread.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #574 of 7,364
Apologies for hijacking the Caldera hype thread.
Not hijacking at all, imo... A lot of ZMF owners are VC owners, and I'm sure are just as curious how the Caldera may fit in the line up in terms of its "personality." Based on what I've read, I'm guessing one could make the analogy that the VC is more of a fine Cabernet, and the Caldera more of a premium Bourbon? Both good in their own ways, but pairing and/or mood matters. :wink:

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #575 of 7,364

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #576 of 7,364
To keep life sane we are going to delay limited releases of Caldera until 2023 Q1. Just in case anyone wasn't clear on this yet, the release sale will be only for the two versions of White Oak. It does match the Feliks Envy we just got very well though which is always cool.
For those who ever get the chance, the Caldera on Zach's Envy is as good as anything I've ever heard. Also made the Atrium and Verite Open more grand and engaging than I've heard them before. Appropriately named for sure!

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #577 of 7,364
Not hijacking at all, imo... A lot of ZMF owners are VC owners, and I'm sure are just as curious how the Caldera may fit in the line up in terms of its "personality." Based on what I've read, I'm guessing one could make the analogy that the VC is more of a fine Cabernet, and the Caldera more of a premium Bourbon? Both good in their own ways, but pairing and/or mood matters. :wink:
Yeah I like that in your analogy it is just a totally different type of alcohol. It is mezcal - so don't let your wine taste bitter to you now. Listen responsibly.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #578 of 7,364
An unfiltered stream of consciousness....

Listening tonight on a very modestly priced SS amp. The layering is phenomenal, bringing out subtle details on heavy stuff that usually gets lost in the mayhem.
Guitars are fierce. Speed is awesome. Very tight, punchy bass. Lots of texture in the mids. Can def hear the Atrium damping working its magic Best ZMF treble to date. Very present and distinct w/ zero harshness or sibilance. Warm and super clean mids

Accept- Princess of the Dawn- epic song sounds great, even with less than stellar production
Slayer- Raining Blood is insane!!!! Best ive heard it sound.
Judas Priest- Electric Eye- Richie is killing it!
Metallica- Seek and Destroy- Twin guitars are right up front, heavy texture
I- Bridges of Fire- the guitars trip up many headphones. Caldera is keeping up making the guitar riff sound distinct and clear. Tons of texture. Abbath!

Yeah, I like this headphone. \m/

200w (1).gif

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #579 of 7,364
From people's impressions the Caldera seems like a real winner. After all the Canjam posts and hype, I am most excited for the Caldera and the AK/EE Odyssey. It's hard waiting for the release dates of both. I wish headphones were released as soon as they're announced but I get the marketing angle and the manufacturing challenges. It is a truly great time to be a lover of high end music listening.

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #581 of 7,364
Yeah metal is a whole lotta fun on the Caldera, but I over did it and lost a tube on my DAC last night. Really not cool. Damn thing had about twenty hours on it total. :frowning2:

Ordered another one from Czech Republic today, but its gonna take awhile to arrive, so I'm slumming it with some KT77s

TL;DR Slayer slayed my Tesla EL51`

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #583 of 7,364
Yeah metal is a whole lotta fun on the Caldera, but I over did it and lost a tube on my DAC last night. Really not cool. Damn thing had about twenty hours on it total. :frowning2:

Ordered another one from Czech Republic today, but its gonna take awhile to arrive, so I'm slumming it with some KT77s

What do you mean you lost a tube by overdoing it?

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #584 of 7,364

Started with my new Atticus that I just bought, then switched to the Caldera and gotta say what an entirely different headphone. In their own right each amazing but equally different on so many levels. Then to the atrium and again so different. Sounded more holographic and smooth where the Caldera sounded more tight, clean and closer and then the Atticus just a dreamy heavenly warm God tier sound. Caldera is the most detailed, the atrium is more natural and smooth, and the Atticus just has you jump into the honey pot face first. I love acoustic music with the Atticus. The Atrium with anything and I’m blown away with metal on the Caldera.

Detail caldera> atrium>Atticus
Soundstage atrium>caldera

Just quick impressions. Not polished at all.Will write up something soon.

Gear:

Ayon sigma dac
Triode labs finale el84 amp

I’m going to play with my Stratus and Ragnarok tonight!!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #585 of 7,364
An unfiltered stream of consciousness....

Listening tonight on a very modestly priced SS amp. The layering is phenomenal, bringing out subtle details on heavy stuff that usually gets lost in the mayhem.
Guitars are fierce. Speed is awesome. Very tight, punchy bass. Lots of texture in the mids. Can def hear the Atrium damping working its magic Best ZMF treble to date. Very present and distinct w/ zero harshness or sibilance. Warm and super clean mids

Accept- Princess of the Dawn- epic song sounds great, even with less than stellar production
Slayer- Raining Blood is insane!!!! Best ive heard it sound.
Judas Priest- Electric Eye- Richie is killing it!
Metallica- Seek and Destroy- Twin guitars are right up front, heavy texture
I- Bridges of Fire- the guitars trip up many headphones. Caldera is keeping up making the guitar riff sound distinct and clear. Tons of texture. Abbath!

Yeah, I like this headphone
I was wondering how the guitars are vs atrium and if caldera is mid forward sounding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back