ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 26, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #556 of 7,609
Sep 26, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #557 of 7,609
I think @Monsterzero is going to do exactly that soon...
Yep, but it's going to take longer than most of my other reviews.

Comparing headphones that excel on different amp types is more of a challenge and time consuming than headphones that have their best amp combo in common

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #558 of 7,609
Yep, but it's going to take longer than most of my other reviews.

Comparing headphones that excel on different amp types is more of a challenge and time consuming than headphones that have their best amp combo in common
Excuses, excuses...

I'm always on time with my reviews. :sweat:

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #559 of 7,609
How would you describe the sonic differences between the VC and Caldera?
Go back a few pages in this thread and I tried to compare them on a few tracks. The Caldera is punchier and weightier. Planar extension, but with the ZMF midrange. For my personal preference the Verité had too much energy in the piano region on some tracks. The Caldera represents instruments in a natural yet romantic way. It is closer to the Atrium than the Verité, but a very different take from ZMF.

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #560 of 7,609
Go back a few pages in this thread and I tried to compare them on a few tracks. The Caldera is punchier and weightier. Planar extension, but with the ZMF midrange. For my personal preference the Verité had too much energy in the piano region on some tracks. The Caldera represents instruments in a natural yet romantic way. It is closer to the Atrium than the Verité, but a very different take from ZMF.
What I wanted to hear. You know how to tease interest. :wink:

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #561 of 7,609
I'm always on time with my reviews.
john-wayne-sleeping.gif

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #562 of 7,609
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #563 of 7,609
I haven’t heard the Caldera, but in reading your review @Alenotta while listening to your review tracks on my VC (with hybrid Auteur pads via ampsandsound Bigger Ben), I agreed with your impressions of the VC. And, to be clear, I love the VC.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #564 of 7,609
Price for stock wood(white oak) is $3499 with a release price of $3199. Ltd woods will be released in 2023.
I'm not one for blind buying but if there's a Ltd wood with a purple finish, then I'm all over that. Saw someone's Atrium and it's the sexiest headphone I've ever seen.

1664223206578.png

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #565 of 7,609
I'm not one for blind buying but if there's a Ltd wood with a purple finish, then I'm all over that. Saw someone's Atrium and it's the sexiest headphone I've ever seen.

1664223206578.png
Beautiful!! I'll be waiting for a Ltd wood that catches my eye. Just more time to save especially with just buying the atrium and verite open this year lol plus, I'm trying finish my coffee bar(another expensive hobby of mine)

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #566 of 7,609
Beautiful!! I'll be waiting for a Ltd wood that catches my eye. Just more time to save especially with just buying the atrium and verite open this year lol plus, I'm trying finish my coffee bar(another expensive hobby of mine)
To keep life sane we are going to delay limited releases of Caldera until 2023 Q1. Just in case anyone wasn't clear on this yet, the release sale will be only for the two versions of White Oak. It does match the Feliks Envy we just got very well though which is always cool.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 26, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #567 of 7,609
To keep life sane we are going to delay limited releases of Caldera until 2023 Q1. Just in case anyone wasn't clear on this yet, the release sale will be only for the two versions of White Oak. It does match the Feliks Envy we just got very well though which is always cool.
Definitely tracking! Sane for you and sane for my wife haha londinium first then caldera.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #568 of 7,609
Definitely tracking! Sane for you and sane for my wife haha londinium first then caldera.
@zach915m Closed back Caldera timeframe? Too far out to speculate?

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #569 of 7,609
I haven’t heard the Caldera, but in reading your review @Alenotta while listening to your review tracks on my VC (with hybrid Auteur pads via ampsandsound Bigger Ben), I agreed with your impressions of the VC. And, to be clear, I love the VC.
Realized I should probably clarify that I also have sensitivity to upper mid/high frequencies that I notice more on piano on the VC. I’ve tried EQ (based on Crinacle’s measurements, because I like his IEM tuning) and pad swapping to reduce that (pretty happy with Auteur Hybrid right now), but I just like the way the VC sounds better without any EQ - more full and rich and spacious. @zach915m has a special sense for tuning. Looking forward to what he comes up with on the Caldra closed back!

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #570 of 7,609
Realized I should probably clarify that I also have sensitivity to upper mid/high frequencies that I notice more on piano on the VC. I’ve tried EQ (based on Crinacle’s measurements, because I like his IEM tuning) and pad swapping to reduce that (pretty happy with Auteur Hybrid right now), but I just like the way the VC sounds better without any EQ - more full and rich and spacious. @zach915m has a special sense for tuning. Looking forward to what he comes up with on the Caldra closed back!
On my VC I ended up using the Universe solid pads and going into the bottlehead crack which was 120 ohm. The Caldera will be perfect for you haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back