ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #601 of 7,145
A headphone both more detailed and punchy than the VC? I’m salivating over here.
I disagree a little..
I think the VC is faster and more punchy, but the Atrium has more textured bass due to its slower decay, making it perhaps more impactful.
And the VC is slightly more resolving, but the Atrium’s sound stage and tonality are superior.
No winner, just different characters. Atrium if someone forced me to pick one, but answer will vary by mood..

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #602 of 7,145
I disagree a little..
I think the VC is faster and more punchy, but the Atrium has more textured bass due to its slower decay, making it perhaps more impactful.
And the VC is slightly more resolving, but the Atrium’s sound stage and tonality are superior.
No winner, just different characters. Atrium if someone forced me to pick one, but answer will vary by mood..
Yeah I only tried the Atrium at this last CanJam and I really liked it. I'm comparing the Caldera and the VC. I think Caldera has the speed of a VC for sure.

I maybe should be talking about weight instead of punch here...

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #603 of 7,145
Yeah I only tried the Atrium at this last CanJam and I really liked it. I'm comparing the Caldera and the VC. I think Caldera has the speed of a VC for sure.
Would be great if they did! :)

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #604 of 7,145
I would agree that the Universe pads do have a bit more punch and focus than the Auteur Lambskins. And a bit more midrange forwardness and a bit more oomph in the bottom. They might have a hair more depth. But they do not throw nearly as large or ambient a soundstage on the VC's nor do they integrate the midrange and upper mid to high frequency as well nor are they quite as airy. What I love is how they just simply integrate everything. Also they really with the right equipment integrate harmonic structure and tonality over the entire midrange to at least the upper mids. In the past that may have not extended that characteristic all the way up, but with the Airmid they absolutely sing and the Airmid is massive in terms of staging and absolute low bass thump and dynamics. I also have a few tunning tricks that give me some of what the Universe pads do, So understand why you like Universe pads, but love the Auteur pads!

Happy listening

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #605 of 7,145
I disagree a little..
I was referring to the Caldera.

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #606 of 7,145
And then there is all the stuff in front of the headphone which alters the sound. For example if I want a bit more sweetness in my mids and high frequencies I will put my National Unions 6J5 GT's in instead of my GEC L63's. They are both excellent tubes but the Nationals better suit the VC particularly in the mids. I found that dropping the clock speed of my computer by as much as 2 GHz with Throttlestop software and also using it to lower the processor and cache voltage on my I5 improves bass; texture, detail and slam. Putting a grouping of Mad Scientist sample carbon graphene nano discs on the connection between my headphone cable and the xlr connection on my VC's drops noise floor and improves PRAT. Mounting Shun Mook discs on the side of my VC's improves midrange tonality and adds a bit of extra vibrance and space to the sound. We are not even talking yet about the specific solid state drives I use or some of the optimizing software I use with Jplay femto. And then there is all the layers of acoustic isolation and support I use under my computer, in my computer and under my DAC and Airmid. The point is any of these ZMF's can easily be played with to sound ridiculously musical, realistic and satisfying and allow tweaking to really show up! And "oh my gosh cables!" Holy frickin my word are there unbelievable things those can accomplish. Really learned that over the last 9 months switching over to a different brand and that includes power cords.

But I am still torn whether I will be adding an Atrium Closed or a Caldera. But either way I will tweak it until I get what I want out of it.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #607 of 7,145
Sep 29, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #608 of 7,145
But I am still torn whether I will be adding an Atrium Closed or a Caldera. But either way I will tweak it until I get what I want out of it.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode
You're deep in the rabbit hole haha. I'm a few levels of madness behind your pursuit I think. I landed on wywire platinum cable for most things. That is what I'm currently using with the Caldera, but the ZMF cables sound nice too. Really excited about Atrium Closed. I enjoy closed back headphones which is why I went VC originally. I'm currently just working to give Zach more money I think.

Sep 29, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #610 of 7,145
Do we know the Caldera's weight and the size of the transducer yet? Thanks!
558 grams for the stock wood with aluminum chassis. Not sure about the transducer size, @zach915m should be able to answer that.

Sep 29, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #611 of 7,145
You're deep in the rabbit hole haha. I'm a few levels of madness behind your pursuit I think. I landed on wywire platinum cable for most things. That is what I'm currently using with the Caldera, but the ZMF cables sound nice too. Really excited about Atrium Closed. I enjoy closed back headphones which is why I went VC originally. I'm currently just working to give Zach more money I think.
Totally agree with the Wywires. I run platinum headphone cable as well. Diamond USB, Platinum RCA's to my Airmid and 3 Platinum Power Cords. The Most amazing was the Diamond USB and then the power cords. Most specifically on the DAC. What differences do you hear between Zach's wire and your Platinum? Never listened to Zach's upgrade wires!

Yeah indeed I have started Zach's piggy bank, once again!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #612 of 7,145
Sep 29, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #613 of 7,145
Not to get too technical, but 80mm is the driver size, right? The headphones as a whole are a type of transducer?

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #614 of 7,145
Yes, driver size is 80 mm.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #615 of 7,145
Can’t wait for the Caldera closed. How I’m hearing this compare to the VC could really give it a run for its money if it really has the same or better detail but even punchier bass slam and some more forward mids. I was gonna go Atrium Closed but I think the eventual Caldera Closed is gonna be the move to measure up to the VC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back